Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cargo ship flips over on side off St Simon

Pilot was onboard and he ordered the ship grounded. I would like to see the salvage operation, that’s going to be a lot of weight to think about standing up.
    cut\'em

Quote Originally Posted by Birddawg View Post
    This link was posted on THT and is sort of relative to the ship in question posted above. It's about marine salvage. It is sort of long, but its a good read.

https://www.wired.com/2008/02/ff-seacowboys/

I bet that’s an interesting life to live. Good article.

The Pilot knew what he was doing.
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Quote Originally Posted by Birddawg View Post
    This link was posted on THT and is sort of relative to the ship in question posted above. It's about marine salvage. It is sort of long, but its a good read.

https://www.wired.com/2008/02/ff-seacowboys/
    Thanks for sharing. A good read for sure.
    More fuel = more boost!!

There have been a few righted over the years. Donjon is bringing a good bit of equipment to do it & will get some help from the foreigners who’ve done that type of salvage. The ballast wasn’t done right & caused the issues for it to capsize. The amount of oil & fuel in water down there hasn’t been reported much but a local guide I follow posted some video on Instagram & it’s not good.

Sounds like they need to get some Asians involved.

From what I was told, said both tanks were empty when it caught fire in control which made right ballast tank fill up with no way to stop it, pilot decided to ground it. Had less than 30 cars on it.

Had a buddy that did some “contract” work on them off Somalia years back, said a empty car carrier was the worst riding ship he’d ever been on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I'll shoot over a kids head in a blind or long gun one on a turkey in a heart beat. You want to kill stuff around me you gonna earn it.

Hyundai Glovis had a vehicle catch fire on another one of it's ships recently.

"On Monday 21 May 2018 MV Auto Banner, that is part of Glovis tonnage, caught fire while alongside Incheon port, due to overheating of one of the vehicle just loaded on board, destined to Libya. The crew of 28 had to be quickly evacuated from on board, while fire brigades proceeded to successfully extinguish the fire from sea, shore and air. MV Auto Banner was built in 1988, and used to be part of STX Pan Ocean fleet. The ship resulted in good conditions, according to a recent port state inspection performed in January 2018 in Portland, US."

Not related, but thought it was interesting.

They also had another ship run aground recently.

On 15 February 2018 MV Glovis Spring run aground within the Paracel Islands waters.[10] The vessel was sailing from Singapore to Hong Kong, with over 3400 brand new European manufactured cars on board, when ended up in shallow waters, possibly related to the shifting of landfill materials arranged by the Chinese authorities, summed up with extreme low tide sea conditions. Two Chinese companies immediately proposed to assist with the maritime salvage promptly sending divers and tugboats.[11] The operation was finally awarded to a joint venture formed by Messrs Ardent and Guangzhou Salvage. MV Glovis Spring was successfully refloated, and made free 4 days after the grounding.[12]

2018 and 2019 have not been Hyundai Glovis' years.