Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Manchester WMA Help/Input

Default Manchester WMA Help/Input

I've never done a public hunt, and understand they can be a total shit-show, but I'm curious about the Bland Field hunt at Manchester.

Saturday is the youth day, and it looks like adults can shoot, too (whereas in the past, only kids were allowed, from what I've heard).

Has anyone ever been? Was it a decent hunt? How far is the walk from the truck (doesn't really matter, just curious as to how far I'd have to carry/cart my shit). I assume SxS are not allowed.

Any other input would be great.

And, yeah, with the low pressure moving through, it will probably hurt the bird population, but at least I'll have an idea of how that place is.

Thanks y'all.

Sent from my S9+ using Tapatalk

A whole lotta "nope", eh?

loaded with sand gnats.
    But on the bright side you got 3 views now. (you’re welcome)

“Muh butts been wiped.” TheBigGuy
    “Poor kids are just as bright and talented as white kids.” PedoPete, Esq.
    “Let’s go Brandon, I agree!” former Vice President Joe Biden
    “Shower time, Ashley.” NotAndyTaylor

Never been to the youth hunt, but the few hints I've done there have been fine and run pretty well.

I used to take my boys to Bland. We always had a great time, shot birds and not a bad walk either.
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

I hope you like alot of people all up on top of you
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

Meh, the youth hunt shouldn't be that bad. Plenty of room for everyone in that field.

Pack light as possible and be ready to walk. Quite certain they don't allow ATV/UTVs. Bring water. Gonna be hot tomorrow.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Much appreciated. Taking my kid, a buddy, and his daughter. Gonna use my aluminum dock cart to haul our shit. Have no clue how far the walk may be.

Thanks. And ANYTHING should be better than opening day on the 1k+ acres of cornfields we hunted.

Keep the youth within arms length of you. (at least that's what a Fed agent told me when I was there years ago) Find shade and bring plenty of snacks / drinks and post up pics of your hunt! Kudos to SCDNR for finally getting back to adult / youth shoots vs youth only!!!
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

Yeah, I was very glad to see adults could shoot.

I have 18 decoys. Maybe they will help. Kinda afraid they'll lure other shooters closer, though.

I hope Colt can finally kill something with his new M2.

Here's a little info if it helps. This is from memory but hope it helps.
    Toumey and Bland fields used have some good shoots back in the late 70s and early 80s. Used to be able to drive around the field perimeter and park in the tree line and shoot off the back of the truck. SCDNR also allowed morning hunts back then. I've hunted there a few times in the last 10-15 years but never had a very good shoot, the fields always loked good but never had any birds
    There used to be a couple of fields that aren't on the WMA map. Using Battens store at the intersection of Hwy 261 and Hwy 763 as a reference point-
    There used to be a field called Birdhaven. Heading east on 763 like your going to Toumey Fields, instead of taking a right, take a left and Birdhaven is about a mile down on the right. I've had a few good shoots there, some not so good shoots.
    Heading south on 261 towards Poinsetta State Park, there used to be a really nice field on the left. This was a pretty good field you could see from 261 and had a dirt road on the south end of the field that you could drive down and find a place to park.

Based on recent trips, the best choice would be to drive a little further south into Clarendon county and hunt the Oak Lee field. Never a barn burner but usually had birds.

Public fields have always been a hit or miss as for the birds, the only field that has consistently held birds is the shit show at the super secret field that no one is supposed to know about on the east side of St. Stephens. Bring your bike......

We are ready!

That ALOT of shit to dove hunt. Good on you for getting him out there. G luck.
    \"We say grace and we say maam, if you ain\'t into that, we don\'t give a damn.\" HW Jr.

Nice! No doubt my best memories as a young boy were in a dove field. Good luck to you fellas.
    "Think A Guy Like Me Worries About Percentages?" Tin Cup

"Some get spiritual cause they see the light, and some cause they feel the heat" Ray Wylie Hubbard

"P.S. I love turkeys. Mostly just hate those who hunt em." Glenn

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Duck View Post
    That ALOT of shit to dove hunt. Good on you for getting him out there. G luck.
    Took a buddy and his daughter, too. 3 hard stools, 18 decoys (in the trash bag), some shells. Really ain't that much, but the cart made it A LOT easier!

I’m not trying to put you down but bringing decoys to a public field is stupid especially right at the beginning of dove season and no less on youth day.
    Last edited by M.R.Ducks; 09-07-2019 at 11:31 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by squatty View Post
    R. Not
    So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live in him, rooted and built up in him, strengthened in the faith as you were taught, and overflowing with thankfulness. —Colossians 2:6–7

Quote Originally Posted by M.R.Ducks View Post
    I’m not trying to put you down but bringing decoys to a public field is stupid especially right at the beginning of dove season and no less on youth day.
    There's NOBODY out here...

I can't even see anyone near us. We were not gonna use them if there were lots of people, but where we have them set up, it'll be just fine.

Anything helps to give these kids an advantage. Colt does decent with clays and has killed some birds, but my friend's daughters has never shot anything but .22's.

Last edited by USMCsilver; 09-07-2019 at 11:47 AM.

Mojo under the shells? Try to stay cool and good luck.

Good luck!
    Member of the Tenth Legion Since 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Baggy View Post
    Mojo under the shells? Try to stay cool and good luck.
    Lol, yup. And the others are clipped onto tent stakes.