Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ammo experts-steel shot

Default Ammo experts-steel shot

Looking at buying a case of nontoxic shot when I go to Canada next month. I have shot several different loads at different times over the years and used to just buy whatever was on the shelf but am wondering if cost is worth it with hevi metal or not. I have been shooting it for several years and have been happy with it but will be taking a new to me SB2 26” with factory chokes. I know I need to pattern and will shoot some different loads this weekend but figured there were probably a handful of ppl who have already done the homework for me. Normally buy 3-3.5” BB and 3” 2-3. Any input appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We just got back and limited out all three days on dark geese and mallards/pintails plus 12 bonus snows. We shot winchester expert steel 1550fps 3” #3s and bbs. We killed all birds and lost maybe 6 in three days of hunting.
    "You are Citadel Men, you have no pension for failure, you wear the Ring, you never let a friend down, you will be good fathers, husbands, and leaders in the armed forces and industry, you are strong in heart, body, and mind. You protect such things as Honor and Fidelity. Your virtues matter not only in wealth, but in the richness of family, you are the last of the knights."
    - late President Ronald Reagan

Kent Faststeel. Cheap and deadly.

When shooting steel, speed kills. The other part of this equation is to pattern your gun so you know that you're getting a good pattern with whatever load you're shooting.
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Gregory View Post
    Kent Faststeel. Cheap and deadly.
    Agreed

Just buy Challenger shell when you get up there. There a Canadian shell. Been shooting them up there for a few years with no issues. About $150-160 a case ?
    Last edited by Duckman#1; 09-10-2019 at 08:53 PM.
    80-20 Genaration

Hevi metal is pretty daggum bogus. Somewhere I have the notes where I cut five different shells apart, size, weight and shot conformity were all over the place. Powder charge was all over the place as was the total shot charge weight. Stick with a well known steel and if I were you I would follow exactly what Duckman 1 said above. I reckon he would know.
    Genesis 9;2

Ahhhh yes. The annual steel shot thread .
    "Hunt today to kill tomorrow." - Ron Jolly

In the real world test, hevi metal is the best cheap(ish) shell out as of last year.
    3" #3s crumple big ducks

PATTERN YOUR GUN!
    buy a box of every kind they sell so you have a good sample size. Its gonna cost a lot and take a lot of time but at least you will have lots of paper to hold up to the light in front of your kids to make stars on the ceiliing.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by Duckman#1 View Post
    Just buy Challenger shell when you get up there. There a Canadian shell. Been shooting them up there for a few years with no issues. About $150-160 a case ?
    This.

"Hunt today to kill tomorrow." - Ron Jolly

Quote Originally Posted by Duckman#1 View Post
    Been shooting Challengers in Canada for 20 years. Good shells.

Plus, I try and buy from Canadian vendors when I visit to maximize my impact as a visiting hunter. I go the COOP or other the other small grocery in the town we stay in and buy toothpaste and shampoo and little stuff like that rather than bring it. The business is appreciated and earns good will. You are not talking about spending a whole lot of money for a big impact with the locals.
    The only good thing about my imperfections is the joy they bring my friends.

Beware the man with one gun...he probably has other faults also.

Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post
    In the real world test, hevi metal is the best cheap(ish) shell out as of last year.
    3" #3s crumple big ducks
    Yep it was badass when it was hevi metal. Now your paying the same price for half HM and half steel
    80-20 Genaration

I just bought a case of Federal Speed Shock for pretty cheap. We will see how it works.
    Psalm 23

wait...did you pattern your gun with it first? how do you know its gonna work????

Cuz it has bbs in it???
    Psalm 23

I've shot a lot of steel and soft-non-toxic loads. If it where cheaper and more readily available I'd shoot nothing but Kent Impact. Unfortunately, it's $4.50/shell. High speed 1 1/8 ounces of #2s is, in my opinion, a very close second. I've been buying Fasteel for many years now.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

Default This

I shoot these
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Private Land Rubberhead # 1

you cant hide money