Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Checked My Paw Paw Patch

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

Default Checked My Paw Paw Patch

I went out today and checked the "new" paw paw patch I found back in the fall. These are deep in the woods and don't get much sun which tends to make them smaller than those in full sun. But for wild paw paws some are a decent size. Still a lot of green ones on the trees too but I managed to get a pound or two of ripe ones. I'll go back in about a week and shake down more ripe ones. I also grabbed a handful of buckeyes (not pictured) to give the grandkids for good luck. When I was growing up any kid that didn't have a buckeye and a pcoket knife in his pocket was a city kid.

The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

Carried a buckeye and an Old Timer for many years as a kid.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog235 View Post
    Carried a buckeye and an Old Timer for many years as a kid.
    That's what I'm talking about! Hell I was still carrying both when I was in high school. I felt naked when I didn't have them.
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

Where does one typically find them? I can’t remember ever coming across any in all of my ramblings
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

lewis and clark expedition nearly died of starvation but survived by eating pawpaw fruit.
    https://www.historynet.com/the-pawpaw-paradox.htm

We have a huge patch at the farm. Been collecting them for a week or so. They are a treat!
    I take an PLB in the shower with me. Can't ever be too safe.

Whats it like to live w/o the Internet? Not bad, I get photos of your mom thought the mail....

"I'd like to know more about this. Someone give cottontop a bump of coke."
    Sportin' Woodies

Quote Originally Posted by Duck cutter View Post
    Where does one typically find them? I can’t remember ever coming across any in all of my ramblings
    Paw Paws I don't know, but Schrade Knive (Old Timer is made in China, you don't want it), you want the old ones that state New York on the blade.

Quote Originally Posted by Duck cutter View Post
    I'd wager you have walked through a lot of them, especially squirrel hunting. They ain't that hard to find if you know what to look for. Look in riparian areas for smallish trees (25' max) with real big leaves. The leaves tend to droop almost like a tropical. Usually the ground around the area will be thick with paw paw suckers from knee high to head high. You'll know them because they have the same big leaves. This new patch I found was near a big creek right on the edge of the floodplain where the land started uphill and the big hardwoods started. The flat ground (floodplain) 20 yards away toward the creek was almost muddy. The leaves and the area (environment) is how I located the patch. I just go where I know they should grow, then walk and scan for the right leaves. I also know what the trees (bark) looks like but they are easier to spot by the leaves.

If you look up in the trees chances are you won't see the fruit because of how it grows and the color (green). I always try to spot some and yesterday I only managed to see one but when I shook the tree a handful fell.

Here's a picture of a couple of leaves I picked off this patch last year with a table fork for scale.

Here's a picture from the web of what they look like when they start to turn in the fall:

Last edited by Mergie Master; 09-03-2019 at 07:53 AM.

Good info, I don't recall ever seeing any either but this thread had me google it.
    I am sure I have walked by many and just never paid any attention but I will start looking now

I never figured out why they called those buck eyes?
    Yup, he's crazy...

like a fox. The dude may be coming in a little too hard and crazy but 90% of everything he says is correct.

Sort of like Toof. But way smarter.
    ~Scatter Shot

they had an awesome segment on making it grow a month or so back from a paw paw patch. Believe it was up near Clemson. Reminded me of walking through the sunflower field a few weeks ago with my best buddy eating may pops

ours made a while back

20190906_102122.jpg

20190906_102222.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by BlackTom View Post
    they had an awesome segment on making it grow a month or so back from a paw paw patch. Believe it was up near Clemson. Reminded me of walking through the sunflower field a few weeks ago with my best buddy eating may pops
    I never knew they were edible. I just admired the pretty flower. But I can’t remember the last time I found one.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackTom View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by billyjack View Post
    I never knew they were edible. I just admired the pretty flower. But I can’t remember the last time I found one.
    Same here. I saw some the other day. When do you know when they are ready?

Google said when they start to turn yellow? Not sure I've ever noticed them start to turn yellow.

Quote Originally Posted by billyjack View Post
    PB eats everything wild. We even ate some chufa seed that he said tasted like cereal. Ain’t going hungry in Dorchester.

What we call May Pops are related to Passion Fruit. They make cocktails with passion fruit in the tropics. The seeds are the edible part. I like the seeds best when they are immature. After they mature, they become juicy and have a citrus-like flavor.

Chufa tastes like raisin bran cereal with extra fiber.

It's just dumb luck that I haven't poisoned myself yet because I am definitely a grazer.

Peepaw used to eat every mushroom he'd find in the woods to get high. Most of em gave him diarrhea so bad he got high off the dehydration.

Chufa tastes a lot like mayflies.

It's okay, I sorta am too. I've dug turnips out of my food plots... all sorts of things, the deer will have to fight me for these

20190906_102406.jpg

Pawpaw prefers well drained, rich soils.
    In the big river bottoms, look for em on the ridges near the swamp chestnuts....

Ralph, what is that?
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE