82DF096F-E6E8-4484-B956-2A5CD9488745.jpg82DF067E-89FC-40C2-877C-006694FCB865.jpg

This buck was with the one I killed last week and I actually thought he was younger than he was until I saw him this evening. He walked up directly down wind and stood at 5 yards for a few minutes before circling through the thicket and stepped out in the foodplot at about 28 yards. He turned a chip shot into a colossal screw up. What was an easy slightly quartering away shot went south when he ducked and rolled at the shot. I hit him high in the shoulder and it exited halfway up his neck, the exit was higher than the entrance and I was 20 feet up so he rolled a lot. Well he was pumping blood for at least 300 yards before I jumped him from his bed and unfortunately had to finish him with a pistol. I hate when an animal has to suffer and be finished off after a long track job but I guess it was bound to happen eventually. Needless to say that 300+ yard drag sucked even with the help of my brother in law, but the 2019 season is off to a good start.