Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SC CAT 1 Waterfowl management area updated reports

Default SC CAT 1 Waterfowl management area updated reports

CWS inquired as to the SCNDR CAT 1 repair and maintenance progress last week. Today we received the following updates from SCNDR.

We should all be appreciative of the work done over the last couple of years on these CAT 1 areas. It's certainly no easy task for these managers and staff members to work day in and day out in these environments. With that said, CWS gives a big tip of the hat and great appreciation to all the staff of SCNDR that put in their efforts to bring these areas back to functional capacity.

As always give us some feedback on what you see out there on these CAT 1s! Lets all keep our fingers crossed that the storms stay off these valuable areas.

Overview of work conducted on Upper Coastal Waterfowl Project since January 2019

Currently the Project has three trackhoe operators and in most cases three trackhoes are operating throughout the Project on a daily basis.

Santee Coastal Reserve-

Phragmities was sprayed via airboat and helicopter. Murphy (2,100 acres), Cedar (350 acres), Cape (52 acres). The Cape is scheduled to have an additional 650-700 sprayed in September.
    Eight bulkheads/wingwalls were installed across the project in areas where high erosion occurs in order to decrease the chances of the dike breaching.
    At least 3 miles of dike has been re-topped and berm constructed on the Project. A significant for portion of this was the construction of a setback dike on the Pig Root section of Cedar Island. This area has over-topped and/or breached during every storm event and this repair should correct that issue.
    At least 83 miles of dikes have been mowed and maintained. Large woody debris on the dike system was maintained with the mini excavator.
    Manipulation of habitat using the Marshmaster via mowing, disking, or roller chopping occurred where needed.
    Trunks were repaired as need and one new trunk and associated bulkhead installed.
    Water levels were monitored and manipulated as needed to achieve desired beneficial aquatic vegetation growth.
    A Coastal Wetlands Grant Project is scheduled to begin in September on the Cape which includes but not limited to: 10-12 trunk installations, approximately 8,700 feet of dike re-topping, 5,045 feet of dike berm re-establishment, and approximately 200 feet of bulkhead installation.
    A NAWCA Project involving the Rushes section of Murphy Island is in the process of having logistical issues worked out as well. This project will include dike re-topping, berm establishment, and trunk installations.

Santee Delta-

Dikes issues where leaks occurred have been repaired.
    A minimum of 250 acres have been mowed with the Marshmaster.
    Sixty miles of dikes have been mowed.
    Water levels have been manipulated to promote beneficial aquatic vegetation growth and help control the sesbania.
    Work is continuing to resolve the logistical issues surrounding a NAWCA project which has been awarded that will basically renovate both the East and West sides of the Delta (dike re-topping and trunk replacement).

Samworth-

Three miles of woody debris was maintained with the mini excavator. Thirty miles of dikes were mowed.
    Large trees were removed from numerous dikes with the trackhoe cutter head in order to be able to maintain the dikes.
    A minimum of 190 acres was manipulated with the Marshmaster which included mowing, roller chopping, and disking to facilitate beneficial moist soil vegetation growth. Prescribed burns were conducted where needed.
    Water levels are monitored and maintained at various levels to obtain the desired moist soil plant species.
    Approximately 1,400 linear feet of dike was re-topped in multiple locations to address low dike heights which allowed high tides to top over the existing low dike.
    Wingwalls and bulkheads were installed as needed in various locations.
    A trackhoe was rented for the month of June and conducted the following activities: retopped 820 linear feet of dike and repair a leak in the dike on Big Carr. A near breach was repaired at the corner of Cane Patch and Big Carr impoundments. Repaired eroded areas on the dike at Cane Patch impoundment. Repaired a near breach in the dike on Big Field impoundment.
    A trackhoe is also being rented for the next 3-4 months to conduct various dike repairs and maintenance on the upper units at Samworth while the amphibious trackhoe continues to work on the Lower units.
    Significant time has been spent using the amphibious trackhoe on the crossdike located on the Lower Middleton/Lower Middleton Cut impoundment. This has included tree removal, re-topping the entire crossdike, and creating a berm along the entire dike as well.
    The Rabbit Island impoundment renovation was completed the end of August which included raising and widening the entire dike around the impoundment, creating a berm inside the entire dike, and installing two new trunks and associated wingwalls.
    The setback dike located in the Upper Middleton Cut was completed at the end of July.
    An application for a Coastal Wetlands Grant has been submitted for repair of the Upper and Lower Middleton Complex exterior dikes which are experiencing severe erosion. In addition, there is no material to raise the dike height left in the adjacent canal so this project will be significant and costly.

Broad River Waterfowl Area Overview Since January 2019

Installed 2 new flap gates on water control structures across the tracks to allow effective water control
    New flap gate added to water control structure in Old Impoundment to increase water control.
    Reinforced existing flap gate to better manage water flow from Parr Reservoir.
    2,354 linear feet of canal was cleaned out in Old Impoundment to facilitate draining and flooding. Field edges were graded to allow runoff into the canal.
    Installed two pipes and screw gates for enhanced water control of the DU Pond and Greentree Reservoir.
    Ditch banks (1,660 linear feet) were cleared of woody debris in the Trestle Pond.
    Woody debris encroaching into field borders along the property line was removed.
    500 linear feet of ditch bank and field borders were cleared of woody debris encroachment in the Across the Tracks field.
    Portions of the DU pond that were not planted in agricultural crops was sprayed with herbicide and burned to encourage beneficial vegetation growth.
    Reconstructed the spillway between the DU Pond and Greentree Reservoir to stop unwanted flooding by Terrible Creek.
    100 feet of dike was repaired where flooding caused significant erosion.
    Agricultural plantings include: corn, rice, chiwapa millet, and chufas.
    In areas where deer significantly damaged the corn, chiwapa millet has been replanted in those areas amongst the corn.
    Continued trapping of beavers occurred throughout the year as needed.
    A trackhoe was purchased to allow for continuous cleaning of the canals and other necessary maintenance activities.
    Note that the project has virtually been without an assigned technician for almost the entire year to date. One was hired and then quit because it was not the type of work he wanted to be doing. Finding a suitable applicant has been challenging; however, a new technician started in August.
    A part time trackhoe operator is in the process of being hired as well.
    Last edited by Strick9; 08-31-2019 at 09:23 PM.
    Genesis 9;2

I'll walk the whole thing and get some pictures of Broad River soon. Outlook is bleak from the little bit I checked last week. Lots of weeds, minimal corn and a fair amount of damage from deer.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by dbenn454 View Post
    I'll walk the whole thing and get some pictures of Broad River soon. Outlook is bleak from the little bit I checked last week. Lots of weeds, minimal corn and a fair amount of damage from deer.

Make sure you are within the allowed entry dates ( haven't checked them) and definitely check the report above for BR against what you see and get back to us if you would dbenn!
    Genesis 9;2

Quote Originally Posted by Strick9 View Post
    Make sure you are within the allowed entry dates ( haven't checked them) and definitely check the report above for BR against what you see and get back to us if you would dbenn!
    No access Nov. 1 through Feb 15 per sign on gate. I'll look at the crops and take pics. I guess I can take pics of water control structures but I'll go ahead and preface that with I don't know anything about those and wouldn't have a clue about if it's done well or not.

No access Nov. 1 through Feb 15 per sign on gate. I'll look at the crops and take pics. I guess I can take pics of water control structures but I'll go ahead and preface that with I don't know anything about those and wouldn't have a clue about if it's done well or not.

Good deal brother, biggest thing to check per the report would be the exit side of the pipes, you should see heavy duty flap devices on the down side, those were missing before and completely missed when we did our original walk, the ones they brought in were not sufficient either , sounds like they have addressed that hopefully. Appreciate you taking the time to take a gander! Feel free to post the pics on this post as well when you get them.
    Genesis 9;2

Sounds like effort is being made. They did not build Rome in a day. Thanks for the report
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Let me know how I can help. $$$
    Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.

Quote Originally Posted by Duck Tape View Post
    Let me know how I can help. $$$
    It would be really great to have a state report showing just how much money is injected into the SC economy via hunting and how much is lost as well. I know the Fed Census exists but it isn't broken down by various types of hunting that I can find.

Truly the first place we must start is to revalue hunting, its related economy and its cultural heritage in this state if we are to protect our heritage in my opine.

I did some very rough figures last year in a frazzled attempt to figure monies lost to OOS duck hunting. I estimated @ 50 million lost by South Carolina over three years via duck hunters traveling out of state to duck hunt. We need to capture that back.
    Last edited by Strick9; 08-26-2019 at 09:23 PM.
    Genesis 9;2

Duck management is expensive. As you know the dikes and infrastructure have taken a beating with the recent storms. I funded 2 million for Ft Johnson and several other projects. There was not an ask for the impoundments. We compete for our share in the budget. It took me 12 years to get into a position I can help. Don't hesitate to ask. There are very few sportsmen in the legislature.
    Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.

I believe we could offset the costs on some of our CAT 1s. Though the tide seems to have turned somewhat , more in house would be a great place to start vs contracting the work. I do understand the stewardship of contractual work in many cases and as mentioned the tide seems to be changing to more in house.

I also believe from knowing many of these CAT 1s very well that there should be many more paid opportunities on our larger CAT 1s once they are producing well and fully up and running on all cylinders. That would bring in the sanctuary worries but there is certainly the room for both.

I hear you loud and clear on the make up of the legislature. That comes down to growing the concern of hunters and them voting appropriately on said concerns. I am certainly very thankful to those that are outdoor oriented and especially those have stood behind our mission.
    Last edited by Strick9; 08-26-2019 at 09:52 PM.
    Genesis 9;2

I am just glad to see the effort being made and resources available because I can’t honestly say I have always felt that way in the recent past. I wouldn’t be opposed to shut it down from hunting for this year and let it recover. It’s no where what it was a few short years ago. Hopefully they can get the water issues under control and the right person to manage the place.9
    Last edited by jb; 08-26-2019 at 10:07 PM.

34.3828808, -81.3851634

34.3822073, -81.3736222

34.3787945, -81.3723974

34.3771594, -81.3758907
    Last pic is the small field to the east.

Dike repair in the flooded timber area

Glad to see the work to try to control Terrible Creek! That was a mess the last few times I'd been there.

I'm guessing there wasn't any luck with the Corps to allow clean up to channel the Terrible creek run through the pond?
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

The attached picture will be what I reference. I don't know everything and could be wrong about some of it, but you'll get the gist of it. Kind of/sort of drawn to scale.

Cliff notes: weeds need to be sprayed in the corn. Give up on chufa. Rice looks good. Propane cannon for deer didn't have the desired effect.

Propane cannon for deer didn't have the desired effect.
    After a couple weeks of it (assuming) going off the same time everyday it becomes just another noise. Need to tip a few over here and there to keep them on their toes.
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunwannabe View Post
    Man is merely a two legged locust, devouring wild lands, developing and prostituting wildlife and fisheries under the guise of "use of the resource" for tremendous profit and moving on. Will it ever end?

Field #1
    Corn did well enough. Lots of weeds and the deer are enjoying it. Turkeys/crows/geese got into the chufa at planting time or it had poor germination, doesn't look too good.