Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fined $18.5k for over the limit

Default Fined $18.5k for over the limit

Eight waterfowl poachers in Michigan get over $18k in fines

by: Ronnie Das

Posted: Aug 20, 2019 / 04:01 PM EDT / Updated: Aug 20, 2019 / 04:03 PM EDT

(Left to right): Michigan DNR conservation officers Kris Kiel, Joseph Deppen, Brad Silorey and Todd Szyska observed eight hunters illegally take 33 Canada geese – nine over the daily limit. Courtesy: Michigan DNR

A group of eight men will pay fines following a waterfowl poaching investigation.

The men were arraigned in the 42nd District Court in New Baltimore and ordered to pay more than $18,500 in reimbursement for species protection and other court costs.

The men pleaded guilty to taking an over limit of geese and failure to retrieve game during the 2018 season.

Each of the men was ordered to pay $2,312.50 in reimbursement for the illegally harvested birds, in addition to court costs and fines.

In early October of 2018, Conservation Officer Joseph Deppen received an anonymous complaint about significant waterfowl dumping into a private pond near Chesterfield.

“Southeast Michigan is an important waterfowl resource to the state and region,” said Chief Gary Hagler, DNR Law Enforcement Division. “I commend the anonymous tipster who reported this complaint.”

Deppen coordinated with local conservation officers and found the eight hunters illegally harvesting multiple geese and mallards as well as not retrieving all of their shot game in the field, which is illegal.

After the hunters had taken approximately 20 geese, two hunters carried them in the bed of a nearby pickup truck, then returned to hunting. Officers approached the hunters for regulatory checks. When asked about any additional geese, the hunters denied shooting more than what was in their possession.

During individual interviews, the hunters confessed to taking a total of 33 Canada geese. 21 of the geese were lying on the ground near the blind and 12 were hidden in the back of a pickup truck.

The daily limit at the time was three Canada geese per person, meaning the hunters were nine over limit.

Conservation officers confiscated the game and firearms from the hunters and ticketed them for illegally taking waterfowl.

The 2019 waterfowl season begins September 1. Reserved hunt applications for the waterfowl period will be accepted through August 28.

If you witness or suspect a natural resource violation, call or text the DNR’s Report All Poaching hotline at (800) 292 – 7800.

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Fella on the right side of the bed needs to work on his mean mug for these photo ops.

I know for a fact I could outrun the two fellas on the ends.

I'd be pissed to know I was fined for killing a damn goose..
    "The bird possesses a remarkable ability to turn arrogance into hopelessness." - Tom Kelly

"Some men are mere hunters, others are turkey hunters." - Archibald Rutledge

Tuition is expensive.

I would much rather see a money shot of the LEOs placing a ticket into the hands of the offender than with a pile of dead geese. But good work to nab the idiots responsible.
    Last edited by willyworm; 08-23-2019 at 09:50 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbitman09 View Post
    I know for a fact I could outrun the two fellas on the ends.
    Maybe so, but you can't outrun Motorola....
    you aint did a dawg gon thang until ya STAND UP IN IT!- Theodis Ealey

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    The older I get, the more anal retentive I get.

They should be given a medal for being willing to kill and deal with them nasty bastards
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

Should have brought them more shells instead of a ticket

I don't belive in miracles, I rely on them.

Heroes in green. Thankyou for your selfless bravery in dealing with such soulless outlaws.

I'm surprised you weren't receiving these pics before the crime was committed.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitetail Widowmaker View Post
    I'd be pissed to know I was fined for killing a damn goose..
    No doubt

I wish I could breathe life back in him, if I could I'd hunt him again tomorrow. - Ben Rodgers Lee

www.springallurecustomcalls.com

https://www.facebook.com/springallure.customcalls/

The look of satisfaction after a hard days work. Maybe an audition for north woods law? They’d fit right in. Episode 1 ...
    murdered Michiganders
    Last edited by Baggy; 08-23-2019 at 01:34 PM.

That pic is pathetic.
    \"We say grace and we say maam, if you ain\'t into that, we don\'t give a damn.\" HW Jr.

Years ago, I began keeping a mental list of all of the wild animals that scduckers hate. It would have been easier to list the ones they liked.

That's some expensive sky carp.
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by 12341234 View Post
    This! Kill them all.
    Yup, he's crazy...

like a fox. The dude may be coming in a little too hard and crazy but 90% of everything he says is correct.

Sort of like Toof. But way smarter.
    ~Scatter Shot

I don't hate geese. Getting a worse penalty for shooting a few too many than if you had molested a kid or stolen from someone is the ridiculous part. The goofy victory pic is just the icing on the ridiculous cake.

Note how they pose the shotguns as if they were Al Capone's tommy guns...