Thread: 75 Yamaha 2 stroke?

Default 75 Yamaha 2 stroke?

My uncle is moving and selling his boat. The motor is a 75 Yamaha 2 stroke. I believe it's a 1998. I dont need the hull but the motor interests me. Can this motor be swapped to a tiller handle? I have searched but I'm not finding anything about it. I see the enduros 75s offered with the tiller. Any help would be great.
    "Think A Guy Like Me Worries About Percentages?" Tin Cup

"Some get spiritual cause they see the light, and some cause they feel the heat" Ray Wylie Hubbard

"P.S. I love turkeys. Mostly just hate those who hunt em." Glenn

Yes
    "I'm just a victim of a circumstance"

Nice...my next question is what lower unit does it have? Would a 2 stroke 70/90 lower unit fit?

Trying not to buy a motor that is hard to find parts for. If it was a 70 it would already be at the house.

"Some get spiritual cause they see the light, and some cause they feel the heat" Ray Wylie Hubbard

Yes has large gear case. It’s a commercial grade engine . 60 70 90 have same lower unit i think

75 and 85 and 90 have the same lowers, but the 60 and 70 is different. And yes you can order a tiller handle and the fit kit for the handle that has throttle and gear cables, you can get them on crowley's marine or boats net.
    Hancock 70 Yamaha

Quote Originally Posted by JBK View Post
    Nice...my next question is what lower unit does it have? Would a 2 stroke 70/90 lower unit fit?

Trying not to buy a motor that is hard to find parts for. If it was a 70 it would already be at the house.
    60/70 is a different gear ratio and driveshaft than the 75/80/90hp

If you are concerned about finding lower unit parts for a 75-90 beware they are prone to crack and finding a clean unit will be some $$$

Quote Originally Posted by camotoon60 View Post
    Yes has large gear case. It’s a commercial grade engine . 60 70 90 have same lower unit i think
    Commercial grade basically means no oil injection, which is a good thing cause on a long enough timeline it'll eventually fail and lock up your engine as a result.

You should have no problem finding parts, I'd buy it! More on that below. Far as the tiller, get the Yamaha handle and the fit kit for a similar year model 90hp and just bolt it on. It should be about a $525-$650 conversion with most of the cost being the tiller itself. Sometimes you can find the handle around $400 if you're lucky and the fit kit is another $125 or so.

Yamaha and other outboard makers do this on other platforms where basically the 75/85 are the same engine block as the 90, just restricted down to produce less hp. I've been called out on this before, but I'm pretty sure the only parts that differ in the 75/85 and their big brother the 90, is the exhaust tuner and the carbs. I'd haeve to sit down and compare the parts breakdowns to verify.

Yamaha does it with the 40 2-smoke where it's the same engine as the 50, just a couple parts different to produce 10 less hp. 60 and 70 is the same way.

What Steel Slinger said.... 60/70/75/85/90 2 smokes all use the same lower unit housing, which prior call "the 4.25 inch gear case" using the same Yamaha K series props. But the guts on the 60/70 differ from the 75/85/90. 60/70 has 2.33:1 and the 75/85/90 run 2.0:1. Also the shaft is splined different. So you can't simply take a 90 lower and bolt it right on to a 60/70 to get the better gear ratio. Trust me, I've tried.
    Last edited by willyworm; 08-23-2019 at 01:46 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

The 85's are still being made by Yamaha every day, they just don't sell em in the US due to the EPA emissions restrictions, and Yamaha has no intentions on altering their 2 stroke motors to meet those restrictions. They simply took em off the US lineup and went 4 strokes only.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

All great info. Thanks guys!

Anyone know what gear ratio the 75 has?

Quote Originally Posted by JBK View Post
    All great info. Thanks guys!

Anyone know what gear ratio the 75 has?
    "Hunt today to kill tomorrow." - Ron Jolly