Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Saltwater Trolling Motors

Default Saltwater Trolling Motors

24 volt approx 70-80# thrust with GPS ...and charger... discuss please. Need one for a skiff and the options are MK or MG it appears.... so many conflicting reviews. What do you have?
    “The price of freedom is eternal vigilance” - Thomas Jefferson

I’ve had a minn Kota I-pilot 80lb 24v for going on 8 years now with no complaints. I will buy another minn kota whenever this one shits the bed
    "If its better than cold beer and hot pussy it'll probably kill us all" ~ Rebel Son

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Pride View Post
    24 volt approx 70-80# thrust with GPS ...and charger... discuss please. Need one for a skiff and the options are MK or MG it appears.... so many conflicting reviews. What do you have?
    I like simple. 24V, 70lb thrust, tiller handle, bow mounted, easy to deploy and pick up.
    I stand in the bow when trout fishing and like to just bump around with the tiller handle.
    Screw all the crap under my feet and wearing remotes around my neck. Been there done that.
    Don't get me wrong, some of the technology is real sweet but not what I need

Minnkota, while I have always had tiller trolling motors my Minnkotas have been great.

I have a Stealth charger that will charge trolling batteries off the outboard and charge all batteries off a single cord at home that has been great.

Minn Kota

I’m seriously considering a Rhodan for my boat.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Rhodan is the shit....

Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    I like simple. 24V, 70lb thrust, tiller handle, bow mounted, easy to deploy and pick up.
    I stand in the bow when trout fishing and like to just bump around with the tiller handle.
    Screw all the crap under my feet and wearing remotes around my neck. Been there done that.
    This on the little boat. No frills and not much to go wrong. I did add an on off foot switch to free up my hands some. Minn Kota Riptide 24v 70lb tiller been going strong in the salt for 6-7 years

Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog235 View Post
    I’m seriously considering a Rhodan for my boat.
    This.

Quote Originally Posted by CantCareSB View Post
    I’ve had a minn Kota I-pilot 80lb 24v for going on 8 years now with no complaints. I will buy another minn kota whenever this one shits the bed
    This.
    "Pain, or damage don't end the world — or despair, or fu**in' beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, ......and give some back." -Al Swearingen

Also think about a quick release mount. I have a 24V tiller Minnkota Riptide on my 20' flats boat. I like it a lot for no frills but would get iPilot if I ever upgrade. Also would look into Stealth charger or similar as it would be nice to have batteries always topped off.

Where are Stealth chargers sold?

Quote Originally Posted by CantCareSB View Post
    well, except for that one time last year when the POS didn't work for us.....
    Please support March of Dimes

www.marchforbabies.org/MadelineRai

Getting ready for a new TM and will go with Ipilot

My trusty old MK(autopilot) has been on my boat for 15 yrs Couple new motherboards over years but works fine to this day

Saw few boats in Charleston couple weeks ago use ipilot instead of anchoring even out at the jetties. Peaked my interest in new TM

Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    The new Minn Kotas are light years above the old co pilot models, I couldn't own a hand controlled anymore after having the terrova, the anchor feature is the shit.

^ ditto

Just put a MK Terrova with spot lock on my Scout this summer. The thing is amazing. I’ll never have another boat without one.

It’s one of those things you don’t know what you are missing until you try , but will never go without again. Kinda like that first piece of cooter
    "To the sensitive gunner nothing can equal a bird and a dog and a gun in trilogy."
    George Bird Evans

Quote Originally Posted by Whackumstackum View Post
    The new Minn Kotas are light years above the old co pilot models, I couldn't own a hand controlled anymore after having the terrova, the anchor feature is the shit.
    What’s the thrust on your motor. I’ve got an 17.5’ war eagle with a 70hp. A salesman told me the 80lb would just right.

Fish I have an 80lb 24v on my 17’ g3 with a 70 and it does great.

I ran it from 8-2 the other day in NI and it still showed a full charge on the indicator when I got home.

Thank you

Do you have a Terrova?