Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Early dose of Tamies for yall

What’s wrong with these shells? Lol.

Back in the day, the Catfish Farms was a great place to see all species of WILD ducks on the Atlantic flyway. It was directly in the imprinted migration pattern of Atlantic Flyway waterfowl. It was nothing to see the ponds stacked with Redheads, Canvas Backs, Pintails, Teal, Wigeon, Ring Necks , Scaup, Snow Geese, the occasional Tundra Swans and of course Wild Mallards. Back in the 90's we hunted some areas that surrounded the Catfish Farms and had great success. Haven't been down there in years but Lynn has been running the day to day operations for long time even when he worked for IP.

In the late 90's there were so many released mallards walking around we had to get out of our trucks to scare them out of the way so we could make it around the dams.

I don't know Lynn though. I know the guy I was told I had to deal with.

Good vid.

Digging the new avatar Ralph
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

When they got to talking to the choke man, pretty sure I heard him encouraging 45-50 yd shots, but only when slapping in that Pure Gold modified.

Unsavory
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Quote Originally Posted by Pee Dee Ducks View Post
    Back in the day, the Catfish Farms was a great place to see all species of WILD ducks on the Atlantic flyway. It was directly in the imprinted migration pattern of Atlantic Flyway waterfowl. It was nothing to see the ponds stacked with Redheads, Canvas Backs, Pintails, Teal, Wigeon, Ring Necks , Scaup, Snow Geese, the occasional Tundra Swans and of course Wild Mallards. Back in the 90's we hunted some areas that surrounded the Catfish Farms and had great success. Haven't been down there in years but Lynn has been running the day to day operations for long time even when he worked for IP.
    i dont think its anything like that right now, we went out there a few afternoons last year...tons of teal and shovlers...few gadwall ringnecks, a couple mallards and a few swans. they were building a lot of new dikes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Roddie View Post
    SCducks is not checkers, it's chess.

I remember about two years ago when the new owners were updating their website and publically advertised the use as live call birds on their brochure. It didn't take long for them to realize the error of their ways but it was up for a while and I believe openly stated "live decoys". I think I have a few screenshots of it on my machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Elcid_Fowler View Post
    I remember about two years ago when the new owners were updating their website and publically advertised the use as live call birds on their brochure. It didn't take long for them to realize the error of their ways but it was up for a while and I believe openly stated "live decoys". I think I have a few screenshots of it on my machine.
    I love going old school, paddling pirogues, homemade dekes and push poles, etc. but what you're describing is like going SUPER OLD SCHOOL late 1890's-1900's duck hunting! I've been reading on century old duck clubs all over North America using live ducks and call birds....I'd do it just to take pictures of how well it works!
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

A pair of English callers and 1000 tamies are two totally different animals...

I’d hate to know when I woke up in the mornings that that’s what I was getting into
    80-20 Genaration

Do you mean a blonde wig?
    DILLIGAF

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    A pair of English callers and 1000 tamies are two totally different animals...
    That must be all the racket I hear in the video. Catfish Farm doesn't have bird boys to walk the levee's and kick up the tamies?
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

I am sure they do or did. The Feds are well aware of them.

My point was that most times you read about "live decoys" in the olden days, and the reason the ban against them, was not a shitload of tame ducks swimming around. They were usually a wing clipped pair of wild mallards that were tied out of sight of each other before the hunt...

I had a nice dove hunt there. All of those birds were wild.