Thread: Texas Sheep

Default Texas Sheep

Have any of you been to Texas sheep hunting? If so, would you mind sharing your experience or shoot me a PM. Just starting to research it.
    I take an PLB in the shower with me. Can't ever be too safe.

Whats it like to live w/o the Internet? Not bad, I get photos of your mom thought the mail....

"I'd like to know more about this. Someone give cottontop a bump of coke."
    Sportin' Woodies

What kind of sheep?

Texas dall, aoudad, corsican, 4 horned, mouflon, red. Not all at the same time b/c I don’t have $25k to blow. Thinking one a year. My #1 animal on the list is a big horn ram, but I doubt that will ever happen.

Whats it like to live w/o the Internet? Not bad, I get photos of your mom thought the mail....

Sportin' Woodies

I have hunted aoudad around Del Rio pretty cool animal. Free range spot and stalk and riding in high rig. Look at Acorn outfitters. Paige has the Aoudad. Think he has #2 SCI bow or handgun. The whole one I missed they said would have been first or second SCI. I have his cell if you want it.

I have hunted free range aoudad near Marfa. This is a great hunt. All the other sheep you mentioned would be a high fence situation, and not representative of a real sheep hunt. Texas has small population of free range desert bighorn rams. They have a drawing for a tag or two, and a few landowner tags available, but the landowner hunt is north of $60,000. They have no Rocky Mountain Bighorns.

Thanks for the heads up on the outfitters! Also good to know about the free range sheep vs high fence.

Any other good areas for free range sheep in north america?

Sportin' Woodies

How big is your check book?
    cut\'em

Quote Originally Posted by Southernduck View Post
    How big is your check book?
    What he said.

Aoudad is about as good as you're going to get in regards to free range sheep and the price. You're looking at big bucks, or decades of preference points, for anything else (that's not high fence). Not a sheep, but you can get a goat hunt in Alaska for around $10,000.00.

For Aoudad, I've heard great things about Mike McKinney and West Texas Hunt Organization, no first hand experience with him though. He can do guided or drop camp type deals on private land, but I think he's booked for at least a year or two out, maybe more.

Yea... I'm not interested in paying $10k to shoot anything, at this point in my life. I'll check out West Texas Hunt Org.

Sportin' Woodies

I did a DIY hunt with Mike Mckinney in March. It was an awesome hunt but i believe he is booked for 2-3 years now. Be happy to discuss it with you in detail. Any other sheep is $10-$60 grand as already mentioned, or winning the lottery on a tag.

Quote Originally Posted by sftull View Post
    Yea... I'm not interested in paying $10k to shoot anything, at this point in my life. I'll check out West Texas Hunt Org.
    Aoudad is probably going to be your only option for wild sheep then.

You can kill all of your list with the exception of aoudad for way less than $10k all in Argentina. With that said of all the animals on your list, the Aoudad is by far the toughest and wildest.

Let me know if you draw a Ewe tag. I saw these last week.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk