Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which do you like better

Default Which do you like better

I have been taking the easy way and using a bigger caliber and going broadside straight for the heart/lungs. In my experience they don't run much if shot well. But I want to build out an ar .223 for just hogs after deer season is over. My current "hog gun" isnt that great and I want to replace the scope anyway. Maybe get some dedicated night vision too.
    I would have to start taking a little more time and going for more head shots, but wanted to see if yall like using the .223 and what advice you had to offer if using that caliber over a typical .270 , .308 + caliber?

Shot placement is critical and "head shots" won't do it.

I built a 6.8spc “pistol” last year with 12.5” barrel. Haven’t had the opportunity to shoot a pig with it yet, got it right before my wife got sick but it’s going to get work this year. Little gun is pretty accurate on the range though.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Over on the Guns and Ammo forums, in the hunting section, look up a poster named Zee- he is a hog killin machine, kills them with everything and performs detailed autopsies to examine bullet placement and performance. He mostly shoots at night and with an AR15. It will answer all your questions.

Quote Originally Posted by CurLee View Post
    Shot placement is critical and "head shots" won't do it.
    Not to be an ass, but do you have experience with the .223 and head shots ? I have been reading a lot of posting all over and some say you can use a 22lr and be fine, others say you have to use something like a 45-70. I don’t have experience in .223 so I have to wait for trial and errors, but hoping to eliminate any error. I need to determine if it’s even worth trying.
    I did forget to mention that I am chambered .223 and 5.56 I’d that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Habit View Post
    Over on the Guns and Ammo forums, in the hunting section, look up a poster named Zee- he is a hog killin machine, kills them with everything and performs detailed autopsies to examine bullet placement and performance. He mostly shoots at night and with an AR15. It will answer all your questions.
    Thanks, I’ll reach out. Most hogs I usually see are 100-200lbs, not giants.
    Last edited by duckz; 08-19-2019 at 06:30 PM.

I have dispatched hogs in a trap with a .223, had a 100 or so pounder shake off a shot to the forehead, I ear holed him on the second. Dead hog. I just check the trap with the ole 30-30 now. Also shoulder shot a big boar with the .223 it ran off and I didn’t care to go look for it. Buddy of mine gets off on killing hogs at night with a suppressed AR chambered in 6.5. I’ve seen quite a few killed with the 6.5 as well as .308. I’ve heard tell of people killing them with a .17 hmr but I’m not going to try it on purpose. You can kill them with anything if you hit them right.

Why not just get the .308 in the AR platform? You trying to save on ammo?
    \"We say grace and we say maam, if you ain\'t into that, we don\'t give a damn.\" HW Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by duckz View Post
    Not to be an ass, but do you have experience with the .223 and head shots ? I have been reading a lot of posting all over and some say you can use a 22lr and be fine, others say you have to use something like a 45-70. I don’t have experience in .223
    Not being an ass either. Catawba pretty well summed it up. Head shots are not a sure thing with a .223. I've shot a 250 lb. boar in the earhole a .22-250 with video to back up the shot. It spun on the ground twice and came up running. Killed him two weeks later. If you already have the gun it will do, but pick your shots. There are much better options for a dedicated hog gun

Hogs die best shot in the upper neck

Modified or Improved Cylinder?
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

Quote Originally Posted by catawba View Post
    I have dispatched hogs in a trap with a .223, had a 100 or so pounder shake off a shot to the forehead, I ear holed him on the second. Dead hog. I just check the trap with the ole 30-30 now. Also shoulder shot a big boar with the .223 it ran off and I didn’t care to go look for it. Buddy of mine gets off on killing hogs at night with a suppressed AR chambered in 6.5. I’ve seen quite a few killed with the 6.5 as well as .308. I’ve heard tell of people killing them with a .17 hmr but I’m not going to try it on purpose. You can kill them with anything if you hit them right.
    ?*??

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by CurLee View Post
    Not being an ass either. Catawba pretty well summed it up. Head shots are not a sure thing with a .223. I've shot a 250 lb. boar in the earhole a .22-250 with video to back up the shot. It spun on the ground twice and came up running. Killed him two weeks later. If you already have the gun it will do, but pick your shots. There are much better options for a dedicated hog gun
    I appreciate that. I already have the caliber so I figured I’d build it out and make it a dedicated hog machine. But I keep having second thoughts because of stories like that. I might just build out a larger caliber and stop trying to make this work. I don’t want to second guess every shot knowing I’m underpowered. Or I could go for heart shots and release three quick shots at once! Ha

Quote Originally Posted by JOHNSON View Post
    ?*??

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Kinda what i was thinking. We shoot hogs in traps with a 22 LR and their dicks hit the dirt with one shot*.

*most of the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunwannabe View Post
    Man is merely a two legged locust, devouring wild lands, developing and prostituting wildlife and fisheries under the guise of "use of the resource" for tremendous profit and moving on. Will it ever end?

Quote Originally Posted by SCswampCAT View Post
    Kinda what i was thinking. We shoot hogs in traps with a 22 LR and their dicks hit the dirt with one shot*.

*most of the time.
    Where do you shoot them? Earhole?

For years people have been arguing whether a .243 was enough gun for deer. Now just because of cheap ammo, the .223 and 5.56 are being used regularly for deer and pigs. It's so easy to rebarrel an AR to a much more adequate cartridge that it makes little sense to me to bother with .223. You could go with 300 blk and not have to change anything but the barrel, same magazine, same bolt. Then you can shoot slow 200 grain or fast 110 grain .308 bullets.

Top of the neck, bottom of the head...

It's a hog, shoot it with whatever you have in your hands..

.22 Magnum has kilt several, 5.56 has kilt several, OOOs have kilt several, but a deer rifle in .270/30-06/7mm usually set them down in an abrupt fashion between their shoulder and their mouth..

And I usually hope they do run off..
    Natural Born Killer Prostaff - Killing Tomorrow's Trophies Today...

TFC -"Be tough or get tough"

Conservation Permit Holder #5213

I'm not a hog killing expert, but I have killed quiet a few. If shooting a rifle the main thing I shoot them with is a .22 mag. Shoot them right below the ear and I've never had to shoot one twice. All of these hogs are shot at 50 yards or less. I did shoot a 80-100lb sow high in the neck at about 70yds with the .22mag and dropped her, but had to shoot her again to kill her.

A few weeks ago I shot a 100-125lb boar with a 75gr BTHP .223 high in the neck at about 50 yards and he dropped like a sack of taters.

I shot a 125-130lb boar at less than 10yds (aiming at the head) with a 9mm with a 147gr. Federal HST out of a Shield and he didn't even drop a drop of blood. Didn't even squeal.

With all of that said, if I were shooting hogs at 100yds esp. with night vision I would go with a .308 if I wanted to use an AR platform. If you want to stay with .223 I'd use the Barnes all copper bullets.

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Habit View Post
    Where do you shoot them? Earhole?
    Earhole sometimes. Between the eyes.. whichever presents itself first.
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunwannabe View Post
    Man is merely a two legged locust, devouring wild lands, developing and prostituting wildlife and fisheries under the guise of "use of the resource" for tremendous profit and moving on. Will it ever end?

Depends on a lot of things and most hasve been mentioned previously. Type of round, distance, shot placement, style of hunting.

I have killed more than a few hogs with .223 55g winx varmit/predator but have also lost some as well. All pigs shot with .223 were on the move, and mostly in the dark. Shot placement can be difficult if you are shooting at groups of them on the run (and if you are moving also) so larger calibers can be more forgiving. When I still hunt I am not sitting with .223 and prefer a 30.06 or .308 which normally kills em dead if you hit them anywhere from the chest forward. I shot a large hog in a trap one time point blank square between the eyes with a FMJ XM855 round and it pissed him off. I couldn’t believe it but he squared up to me and started ramming and hitting the cage. A couple more to the dome and he was done. If I had of not used an FMJ, or a larger round I am pretty sure that would not have been the case. I happened to grab the wrong mag out of the truck.

I am pretty sure you could buy a 6.8 upper and 6.8 mag and it will fit your current AR platform. For ranges under 200yds I believe a 6.8 would be superior to a .223/.556 but someone correct me if I am wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6.8 SPC and 6.5 Grendel require a bolt change too.