Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which do you like better

Shoot them in the guts and let the buzzards worry about them.

Or Call BugBuster and his Curs can grab their ears bo...

He made me kill one with a Popsicle stick and a rubberband one time..
    Natural Born Killer Prostaff - Killing Tomorrow's Trophies Today...

TFC -"Be tough or get tough"

Conservation Permit Holder #5213

My friend uses a .223 and he kills the piss out of them,.....sometime 25-30 a night.

Quote Originally Posted by b-stick View Post
    Shoot them in the guts and let the buzzards worry about them.
    I have watched the guy who has killed more wild hogs than anyone in the history of the State of South Carolina, Ervin Smith, kill them with .22 shorts for years.

He knows what he is doing. Most don't.

I have also trapped and shot too many hogs with high powered rifle wounds to count. They are amazingly resilient. It is not uncommon to see them acting perfectly fine while maggots are spewing out of a wound. Shooting something and letting it "run off" is the epitome of poor Sportsmanship.

Also, in my opinion, .223 is just not enough gun for the average hunter...

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post

Sig worthy, and it applies to 80% of the state's hunters.

I agree. My GF has shown interest in shooting her first deer this year.. My dads friend suggested to let her shoot a .223, I said "hell no." Im thinking a .260.
    Last edited by SCswampCAT; 08-20-2019 at 02:34 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunwannabe View Post
    Man is merely a two legged locust, devouring wild lands, developing and prostituting wildlife and fisheries under the guise of "use of the resource" for tremendous profit and moving on. Will it ever end?

I have watched the guy who has killed more wild hogs than anyone in the history of the State of South Carolina, Ervin Smith, kill them with .22 shorts for years.

He knows what he is doing. Most don't.

I have also trapped and shot too many hogs with high powered rifle wounds to count. They are amazingly resilient. It is not uncommon to see them acting perfectly fine while maggots are spewing out of a wound. Shooting something and letting it "run off" is the epitome of poor Sportsmanship.

I cant remember if that was a .223 or a .300 Blackout that we whacked those two with down by the river.
    I think the 300 Blackout with the Barnes VOR-TX Tac-tx bullet is the set up for them. I plan to kill a deer with mine real soon.
    Was looking at those pics the other day
    Watch this video
    Last edited by ecu1984; 08-23-2019 at 10:58 PM.

I do appreciate the opinions and responses. I agree I would prefer a .300 but Let’s say hypothetically I was to take out the .223/5.56, would using a 5.56 do me better ? And mainly, what bullet would you use for a hog?
    1/7 twist rate, under 100yards.
    Last edited by duckz; 08-24-2019 at 05:17 PM.

I head shot 2 in the trap today, Used my 1943 WW2 .30 caliber M1 carbine with 110 grain soft points. Stoned them right between the eyes.
    It was good to kill something with that old rifle again- need to kill a deer with it again.
    Last edited by Bad Habit; 08-24-2019 at 07:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by duckz View Post
    I do appreciate the opinions and responses. I agree I would prefer a .300 but Let’s say hypothetically I was to take out the .223/5.56, would using a 5.56 do me better ? And mainly, what bullet would you use for a hog?
    1/7 twist rate, under 100yards.
    You've already decided what you're going to shoot. Why are you wasting our time?

Cause AR's get more Facebook cred and he's already cheaped out and bought the budget "freedom" rifle. Now tell him how to kill shit with it.

.223 is fine if you know what you are doing in the field and it's limitations. If you are using one to shoot them in a trap and it's not working then you need to seek help. I've seen a train load killed with a .22lr.
    Last edited by SOUTHERN WOODS; 08-24-2019 at 10:34 PM.

BTHP levels the playing field. If you don't know what they are without google stick to your 30 caliber.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckin Bronco View Post
    Yep. I have a border collie mix that is smarter than most of the people on this site.
    The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

I’m not asking for an opinion on whether to use it or not. I am asking whether a 5.56 is significantly better than a .223 and what bullet type is best for hog.
    I don’t see many 5.56 choices at stores around me and I see more grain/bullet choices in .223
    I know what bullet I use for deer, but is a FMJ, GMX, TSX, etc better for thick hogs?

I have killed hundreds of hogs out of the trap and never used anything but a ruger 22 target pistol. Right between the eyes and right behind the ear. Shoot them between the eyes and you can watch the eyes turn white before they collapse
    For nothing will be impossible with CHRIST Luke 1:37

These have worked more than a few times for me. Head/neck shot should stone em.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I followed the same path as you about 8 years ago. My original pig gun was a M1 Carbine and was efficient until the firing pin broke with a 300#er in the sight.

I built a PSA AR and shot soft points or ballistic tip .223. I killed many hogs with it by shooting them in the ear hole. Up to 130 yds and dropped them. I also shot a few in the shoulder and body and watched them roll and then run off. Killed one 3 weeks later with a would already healed and found the lead in the shoulder.

Then I built a AR in 308. I've shot a few and they died. it is a better caliber for killing pigs.

buy a box of Remington "Hog Hammers" in .223 its a Barnes TSX bullet and not hard to find. Green and white box