Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Frame pack questions

Quote Originally Posted by nitro5x6's View Post
    MM,

Have you ever killed an elk?? I have killed quite a few. My experience is even a cow is going to bump 350-400 pounds on the hoof. That means about 200 pounds of meat. An average sized Rocky Mtn Elk bull will weigh 700-800 lbs or better. My numbers if off, aren't off by much. The Elk I have killed in WA are even larger than the Rocky Mtn Variety..

Carrying 100 lbs of meat on your back in mountainous terrain is challenging indeed. Add in the potential variable of darkness and you will be wishing you have a wrangler and packhorse.
    An average Rocky Mountain elk weighs 700lbs. Your typical yield of meat after deboning is 35%. Do the math. You’re also making the assumption that the OP doesn’t shoot the first spike bull he sees, and I would recommend that if legal, considering success rates on public land.

I’ve never killed an elk. But I’ve lived in elk areas and made friends and had conversations with elk killers.

What I really don’t understand is your adamant push back? Do you own stake in some pack horse conglomerate out in Wyoming that we should know about? You’ve stated your recommendation of pack animals and how dangerous it can be. Let the OP make his own decisions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

Quote Originally Posted by MolliesMaster View Post
    An average Rocky Mountain elk weighs 700lbs. Your typical yield of meat after deboning is 35%. Do the math. You’re also making the assumption that the OP doesn’t shoot the first spike bull he sees, and I would recommend that if legal, considering success rates on public land.

I’ve never killed an elk. But I’ve lived in elk areas and made friends and had conversations with elk killers.

What I really don’t understand is your adamant push back? Do you own stake in some pack horse conglomerate out in Wyoming that we should know about? You’ve stated your recommendation of pack animals and how dangerous it can be. Let the OP make his own decisions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Typical yield?? That explains a lot. You are thinking about a deer. Elk are going to yield close to 50% of body weight into boned meat. Much larger, more heavily muscled animal. We are not talking a SC whitetail here. My comments are only based upon my experience in actually killing, dressing and quartering Elk. It's a different ballgame when you walk up on one.

Truth be told, the best way to get an elk out of the mountains is to wait until it snows to kill one. Then use a snowmobile to drag it out.

Lastly, the OP asked for opinions- I gave mine. It's an opinion based on fact and my experience.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Thousands of DIY hunters pack their elk out every year. I’ve contacted a coupleof pack services for my hunt in Oct. Both stated guided hunters come first and they’ll get to you when and if they can.

Do you have to CrossFit to do this shit? Or do I need to just join another Internet forum? I mean all you really wanna “pack out” is the photo ops, right?

I’m kidding of course, but nitro seems to have the solid advice.

I will be packing it out on my back. I agree it is a hard miserable job, but it is part of the deal if successful. There will be two of us hunting and I do have a friend close who will get a call if we get a bull down.

Walking one out is something a man only wants to do once. Good luck. I hope you shoot a hammer.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

I have a new unused Alps Commander if your interested. 150.00 I'm in Lexington.