Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Frame pack questions

Default Frame pack questions

Doing a Wyoming elk hunt next fall and will need to get a pack. Looking for input from anyone who has actually used one to pack out meat. Planning to spike camp a couple miles in and then out an back hunts from there. Would a 4000 cu inch bag do the job? Any brands to stay away from? Dont want to spend $500 on a pack if I dont have to, but want to buy something that will do the job without killing me. Thoughts???

My thoughts? Borrow one from a buddy

You got one?

Stone Glacier or KUIU. I like the load shelf on the SG. The number of days will determine size. Food will be your limiting factor.

Alps commander gets good reviews for a cheap pack. I had a badlands and upgraded to a mystery ranch
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

Running an Eberlestock J34. Modular bag goes from 2300ci to 4600ci. Really like where it sits the weight on my back.

I really like the Eberlestock J34, seems to be so well thought out. Seems to between that and a Mystery Ranch Metcalf. Was hoping to find a solid option that was cheaper, but that may not be possible.

Get a membership on Rokslide if you don’t already, watch the classifieds, buy pack for cheap.

Hire a packhorse and handler. Backpacks are for your gear. Horses and panniers are for bringing out an Elk. I don't care how young and/or strong a fella is, you aren't packing out an elk from miles back in the mountains. Especially if you don't have more than you and a friend. Elk are big, meat is heavy.

The quality of Elk meat is excellent and I personally like to get it to the processor on the same day when possible. You aren't going to do that walking it out. Just one opinion.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Kuiu is top of the line and they have some on sale.

https://www.kuiu.com/outlet/
    "You are Citadel Men, you have no pension for failure, you wear the Ring, you never let a friend down, you will be good fathers, husbands, and leaders in the armed forces and industry, you are strong in heart, body, and mind. You protect such things as Honor and Fidelity. Your virtues matter not only in wealth, but in the richness of family, you are the last of the knights."
    - late President Ronald Reagan

Packs are like bows and Camo. It’s the fanboy flavor of the day. I prefer a rigid external frame. The bag is just a sack to put shit in.

I’ve got an Eberlestock mainframe that works well. I mostly use one of their roll top dry bags with it. I’ve packed out a couple of antelope and deer with it, with no issues. I strapped an 80 lb back of sakrete in, it hiked several miles and it was as comfortable as 80 lbs can be.

IF I was in the market for a new pack it would probably be an EXO. My buddy has one and its really comfortable. His Kuiu was uncomfortable with a load in it. QFelt like the whole thing moved and flexed under a load. It lasted about 5 mins of Rokslide.

I made several trips out west with a large ALICE pack and survived. My dry bag was a a large contactor trash bag. I’d do it again if it’s all I had.

Unless you are hunting an area you’re familiar with I wouldn’t commit to a specific spot. Stay mobile. We hunt/ camp out of the truck and carry enough stuff to spend a couple of nights if needed. If we find game and it’s a long walk in and out in the dark we will camp to have first crack at them. There are very few places outside of designated wilderness that you’ll be more than a few miles from a road. In WY you’re supposed to have a guide in to hunt a wilderness area anyway. You can fish, mountain bike, hike, camp, just not hunt without a guide.
    Last edited by FLS; 08-20-2019 at 11:28 AM.

I've got a KUIU ultralight 5500. Its a good pack, it will carry more than I can.

FLS, That wilderness rule is nonsense and in place to protect the local guides. They apparently have a good union. I may go the Military ILBE route.

Quote Originally Posted by nitro5x6's View Post
    Hire a packhorse and handler. Backpacks are for your gear. Horses and panniers are for bringing out an Elk. I don't care how young and/or strong a fella is, you aren't packing out an elk from miles back in the mountains. Especially if you don't have more than you and a friend. Elk are big, meat is heavy.

The quality of Elk meat is excellent and I personally like to get it to the processor on the same day when possible. You aren't going to do that walking it out. Just one opinion.
    This, you could find out that every one else went a couple miles in also, then you go a couple miles further, and the next thing you know you're trying to pack an elk 5 miles.
    I killed a bull on public in montana, i shot him around 4pm in a big drainage, by time we got him cut up, hung, 5 hours of sleep, we got back to camp with the elk a few hours before dark, the NEXT DAY. That was 2 miles the way the crow flys from camp with horses and mules.
    Now imagine doing that 5 times, on foot. Sure it can be done, but you'll want to kiss that horse when he packs it out.
    Last edited by buckpro; 08-20-2019 at 08:24 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I'll shoot over a kids head in a blind or long gun one on a turkey in a heart beat. You want to kill stuff around me you gonna earn it.

It’s a ticket and small fine IF you get caught.

I've had a kifaru and currently have an exo. Both were nice. I haven't carried elk out in either of them, but both of them have been used to haul corn in and deer out of particular spots.

Huntinghagen is right, watch the rokslide forums, especially this winter after all the hunts are over and people realized that elk aren't around every corner. Pick up deals on tents, packs, pads, bags, the works.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

Good info all, thanks

An Entire boned out whitetail weighs less than an Elk quarter. Packing out on flat or rolling terrain cannot even be compared to the Mountains. It will tax you to your limit. Been there and done it. Flatlanders have no concept. A boned out Bull Elk may mean 350-400 lbs of meat. That could be 4 trips or more including the head and cape. Figure 80 pounds or so for the trophy part.

I damn sure wouldn't want to walk back up on an Elk carcass in the dark in Grizzly country.. and Wyoming is Grizzly country.

Add in the variable of early season warm weather and it's effect on meat quality and my comment about packhorses is the best solution. Elk meat is too much of a delicacy to risk spoilage. You are responsible for removing the meat. The gamies will ticket you for wanton waste.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Quote Originally Posted by nitro5x6's View Post
    An Entire boned out whitetail weighs less than an Elk quarter. Packing out on flat or rolling terrain cannot even be compared to the Mountains. It will tax you to your limit. Been there and done it. Flatlanders have no concept. A boned out Bull Elk may mean 350-400 lbs of meat. That could be 4 trips or more including the head and cape. Figure 80 pounds or so for the trophy part.

I damn sure wouldn't want to walk back up on an Elk carcass in the dark in Grizzly country.. and Wyoming is Grizzly country.

Add in the variable of early season warm weather and it's effect on meat quality and my comment about packhorses is the best solution. Elk meat is too much of a delicacy to risk spoilage. You are responsible for removing the meat. The gamies will ticket you for wanton waste.
    While your caution is warranted, I think your numbers are a little high.

OP, don't be scared to get after it. Know your limits and be ready for the challenge.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

Quote Originally Posted by MolliesMaster View Post
    While your caution is warranted, I think your numbers are a little high.

OP, don't be scared to get after it. Know your limits and be ready for the challenge.
    MM,

Have you ever killed an elk?? I have killed quite a few. My experience is even a cow is going to bump 350-400 pounds on the hoof. That means about 200 pounds of meat. An average sized Rocky Mtn Elk bull will weigh 700-800 lbs or better. My numbers if off, aren't off by much. The Elk I have killed in WA are even larger than the Rocky Mtn Variety..

Carrying 100 lbs of meat on your back in mountainous terrain is challenging indeed. Add in the potential variable of darkness and you will be wishing you have a wrangler and packhorse.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.