Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cooter juggin

Default Cooter juggin

Mannn....I went to a swamp this evening with 15 jugs to set overnight for cooters. I put all those jugs out and had the pond covered nicely. I get the boat back to the bank and look across at my masterpiece of a set and 4 or 5 jugs are swimming around. I'm like, wtf....I've hit the honey hole. I go back to pull them and they move until I pick them up and nothing's there and my bait is about gone. I'm guessing there is a bunch of little catfish in there. Needless to say I don't have high hopes for in the morning. I've never had fish fuck with my jugs like that. That's alright, ima put my baskets out and won't have to worry about that Nonsense.
    Last edited by Rabbitman09; 08-17-2019 at 06:59 PM.

You need to build a cooter trap

Quote Originally Posted by mudnut1970 View Post
    You need to build a cooter trap
    It's called a shoe store
    Quote Originally Posted by BOG View Post
    Tip:
    Although it is natural for you and seems to be out of your hands, try to suppress your natural inclination towards dumbassedness and do some research of your own.I wish you luck.
    Tekton Game Calls
    http://tektongamecalls.com

Quote Originally Posted by beanhunter View Post
    It's called a shoe store
    Nice.

Yoga studios are gold.

It's called a shoe store
    Hahahahaha

It's called a shoe store
    Too damned funny.

Got 3 biggens on the jugs this morning. Now the work begins.

I want to give a shout out to my jug sponsors: tide detergent, Dr Pepper, dr thunder, and sams water.

What are your plans for the three caught?

Quote Originally Posted by Baggy View Post
    What are your plans for the three caught?
    A thump on the head, a dip in boiling water, clean, then a final rest in the stew pot.

Get down. I do white stew and a red stew my grandma taught me to make. White with smaller ones.
    The last couple I’ve done were the best though. Turtle sauce picante recipe I got from an old coon ass welder a few years ago. The ingredients (spices,herbs etc.) seemed a bit odd to me the first round time, a bunch of what I call Christmas spices. Allspice, nutmeg, cloves , red wine, and ton of black and red pepper.
    It gives turtle stew a whole new meaning.

I do red, tomato base stew. After boiling the meat, I take it out, remove skin and bones, then run it through the grinder one time to chop it with the plate with three huge holes. Chopping it up makes it not stringy. I'm getting hungry already. I put a Boston butt in mine too to give it some grease.
    Last edited by Rabbitman09; 08-18-2019 at 08:09 AM.

Sounds good, I haven’t had turtle stew in a long time. Post some pictures when you get done
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

A small one is awesome par boiled and fried like a rabbit.

What is the dip in boiling water before cleaning for? They skin better that way?

Loosens it for removal.

Quote Originally Posted by CurLee View Post
    What is the dip in boiling water before cleaning for? They skin better that way?
    After dipping you can scrap off the dark top layer of skin with algae and whatnot and it is clean and Snow White. It also helps stop him from wriggling around with his head cut off so you don't have to fight it to clean it.

Thanks. I turned an old Peterbilt breather into a scald pot for plucking chickens. That oughta fit a 50lb turtle easy. I'll try that next time.

Can’t say that I’ve ever eaten turtle. Read about it and terrapin, which I assume is similar or the same.

What’s it taste like? Frog legs? Fishy chicken? Porky catfish? Seems like they would be all shell and no meat to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

Quote Originally Posted by MolliesMaster View Post
    Can’t say that I’ve ever eaten turtle. Read about it and terrapin, which I assume is similar or the same.

What’s it taste like? Frog legs? Fishy chicken? Porky catfish? Seems like they would be all shell and no meat to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    A cooter- common snapping turtle has a lot of meat. Terrapins, box turtles, most all turtles are built compact to retract in their shell for safety. Their legs are skinny. A cooter is not designed like that. They don't retract. They have big, fat legs, necks, and tail. You would have to see one up close to see what I'm talking about. I would compare the taste to beef. It's a white meat but I would say beef is the closest comparison. It's tougher/chewy than most meats. I like to chop mine a little because it can be stringy. It's good. I've never eaten it outside of a stew so I don't know what fired cooter would be like.
    Last edited by Rabbitman09; 08-19-2019 at 07:51 AM.