Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Timing of Moultrie feeders

Quote Originally Posted by BlackTom View Post
    i’m enjoying opening day sitting downstairs in my ac....waiting for the ac man to come help it work
    I stare at 7 I have on the wall that were all feeder friendly.
    Pictures?

Oh I like what I see

When it comes your time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song and die like a hero going home. -Tecumseh-

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    You're also one of select few clemings with sense.

most all of those bucks except the 12pt were 6.5-8.5yr olds. That piece of property was a gem. Loved getting pictures of the same deer for 4-5-6yrs knowing they were 2.5/3.5 when you started getting the first ones. Cameras, patience and feeders. All an integral part of our hunting success.

And HOW LONG do y'all run the feeders. One person said 7 seconds. Nothing from the rest or are they preprogrammed?
    It's not enough to simply tolerate the 2nd Amendment as an antiquated inconvenience. Caring for the 2nd Amendment means fighting to restore long lost rights.

I run 8-12 secs in AM and 15-20 in PM.
    When it comes your time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song and die like a hero going home. -Tecumseh-

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    You're also one of select few clemings with sense.

I would start it out only running it for about 6 seconds once a day and adjust the timing to when they get used to it. Start out putting corn around the outside a little ways and then they will get used to it eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by jws View Post
    I would start it out only running it for about 6 seconds once a day and adjust the timing to when they get used to it. Start out putting corn around the outside a little ways and then they will get used to it eventually.
    good advice. And as far as your question RP it’s seasonal. This time of year they really aren’t cranked on corn yet, but will nibble. 5-6 seconds is plenty to get them acclimated. As the days grow shorter and the temps cool, I’ve had them going 15-20 sec. This is, however, barring you have no pigs and turkeys. Both of those vermin will fail your feeder project quickly.

I hope yall know we are talking areas that have had feeder establishment for years/up to a decade. I believe thats why folks always have trepidation using them. You can’t set one up today and have bullwinkle under it tomorrow. It takes time. And yes, they are a pain in the ass. So invest in what you consider your return is worth. Sweeney, spincast, etc. Look at the ones used on texas ranches.

You want to attract them, not feed them. Don't try to figure out how many seconds you can run the feeder so that food stays on the ground. They'll have all day and night to stop by and snack. Try to figure out how little you can throw out and keep them coming back to check. Then they'll learn they have to be there when the feeder goes off.

I run mine around 5-7 seconds morning and evening in most places. If turkeys get to be a problem, I only run them in the afternoon about an hour before sunset.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackTom View Post
    I’ve had them going 15-20 sec. This is, however, barring you have no pigs and turkeys. Both of those vermin will fail your feeder project quickly.

I hope yall know we are talking areas that have had feeder establishment for years/up to a decade. I believe thats why folks always have trepidation using them. You can’t set one up today and have bullwinkle under it tomorrow. It takes time. And yes, they are a pain in the ass. So invest in what you consider your return is worth. Sweeney, spincast, etc. Look at the ones used on texas ranches.
    Solid point here. If you have pigs, turkey or lots of coons, you might have to adjust what time you feed and for how long. It takes time.

I do mine around 6 seconds in the morning and 8-10 seconds in the evening. When we first put ours out we would run them for around 10 seconds going off at noon. Once we started seeing deer use them we switched them. If I buck grows up using one and doesn’t have a ton of bad experiences while eating under one he will never know any different
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid