Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ground Hunting for Deer

Default Ground Hunting for Deer

I have a few spots that warrant sitting on the ground to hunt. Yes there are trees but they are so close to the bedding areas the deer would be watching me climb. Have many of you had much success on the ground deer hunting without a blind? I am not interested in blind hunting. Also if you sit on the ground do you just use a pad, a tree seat, or a stool. I am thinking being off the ground a little would help if you need to draw sitting down. How do guys set up on the ground and have you had much success? I am thinking about sitting in a sit drag.
    Thanks,
    https://restfaq.com/
    Last edited by Onortavil; 08-24-2019 at 11:19 PM.

If you aren’t at least 20 ft up a tree, you might as well stay home. Deer don’t know how to look up, so I doubt you’ll be seen climbing. How far away is your corn pile? That’s what will dictate a lot of your decisions. Do you have enough scope? If your corn pile is more than 75 yds away you’re going to want to use something that’s at least 15X.

I have done it a good bit- usually use either a folding dove stool or a a tree seat and shooting sticks. Plenty of success and close encounters.

Wear blue jeans. Sit on s 5 gallon bucket. Rub a little diesel on your white new balance before you walk in. Burn a Winston red every 20 minutes or so and the rest will take care of itself.

You sound like me at a child's sporting event

It’s all the same.

I use a millennium g100 tripod chair and shooting stick. Super comfortable and swivels nicely. I also have a millennium chair that straps to a tree and a hammock seat. These two are not as comfortable, but offer a little more concealment. Half the deer I kill, on wma, are from the ground.

When in one particular area where we sometimes change locations during the day, I sit on a folding tripod stool with a swivel seat, and just put a few branches around me to break up my outline in addition to using a ghillie jacket.

My hunting buddy will often sit on a stool under a holly tree that has overhanging branches.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

deer dont look up? wtf

find a grove of trees and sit in the middle of it.
    or a blowdown.

is this a serious question? I am pretty sure you can find enough cover to hide in. and it matters not one fox what kind of chair you take.

and wth is a "sit drag?"
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

https://www.sportsmans.com/camping-g...rest/p/1501340

This is all you need. Small, lightweight and compact. Comfortable enough to sit for an hour or so without moving. As I mentioned in another post, tie a longer cord on it so you can sling quarter arms over your shoulder and you can slip around for hours and quietly open it up in about 20 seconds.

Throw a pair of limb shears and some paracord in your pack in case you need to make a small blind in front of your chair.
    Last edited by scatter shot; 08-15-2019 at 06:28 AM.

I've killed a shit ton of deer on the ground. Just like turkey hunting, clear the leaves from around the base of a good sized tree and plop yo ass down. That way if you have to shift for a shot the leaves will not give you away. I've had deer within spitting distance on multiple occasions. It's not rocket science, camo up and sit still.

Quote Originally Posted by scatter shot View Post
    https://www.sportsmans.com/camping-g...rest/p/1501340

This is all you need. Small, lightweight and compact. Comfortable enough to sit for an hour or so without moving. As I mentioned in another post, tie a longer cord on it so you can sling quarter arms over your shoulder and you can slip around for hours and quietly open it up in about 20 seconds.

Throw a pair of limb shears and some paracord in your pack in case you need to make a small blind in front of your chair.
    my nuts would be asleep in minutes.

and sitting on the ground with the bow is tough.

and I am not about to buy a specific chair to go hunt a deer. certainly you have 25 camp chairs around? use one of them.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Sit still and make sure you have a steady rest to shoot from. Nothing to it.

pay attention to the wind

If a man is alone in the woods, says something, and a woman does not hear, is he still wrong?

Bipartisan usually means that a larger-than-usual deception is being carried out. —George Carlin

Common sense is not a gift. It's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone else who doesn't have it.

I usually use a stool, sit in brush with a background that will break up your silhouette, I usually wear my turkey brushy outfit with a face cover. Definitely use a shooting stick. Use the wind to your advantage. Be aware of where your bullet will be traveling.

you fella sitting in those tripod stools must not have any nuts- fuck them things

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    deer dont look up? wtf

find a grove of trees and sit in the middle of it.
    or a blowdown.

is this a serious question? I am pretty sure you can find enough cover to hide in. and it matters not one fox what kind of chair you take.

and wth is a "sit drag?"
    A sit drag is a type of hunting saddle. I think that is what he is talking about. And saddles are the most comfortable thing to hunt out of outside of an office chair.

I didn’t ever get in a stand until I was 17 and could afford to buy my own. My grandad believed deer would condition to stands so we hunted from the ground. I have killed piles of deer from the ground, no camo either. Use the wind to your advantage, sit in the shade and be still. There’s nothing to it. Also have killed many a deer with my bow sitting on a metal chair tucked back in the shade with a good back drop. Wind is your biggest concern. No need to over complicate it.

I do it on road beds and have had good success. I use a gobbler lounger to sit in.

I go to Alabama with my father-n-law every year to hunt his uncles place during their rut. This past season I took the gobbler lounger and saw tons of deer. Would only come out to eat lunch. Would move every two hrs depending on activity. Hunting mostly creek bottoms or ridges where I could see a good ways through the timber. Hunt the wind and you will be fine.
    Warning: The Surgeon General has determined that turkey hunting is an addictive activity that will disrupt normal sleep patterns!

Does shooting out the truck window count s shooting off the ground?
    Windows Down!