Thread: Trail Cams (Non-Cellular)

Default Trail Cams (Non-Cellular)

Most recent posts seem to focus on cellular cams. How about some insight as to everyday trail cams. What would you recommend? Features?

What's your price range?
    Member of the Tenth Legion Since 2004

Browning

If you want to point it at a corn pile, it's really hard to beat the Wildgame Terra's. I have two and have had zero issues.

https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p...trrxtrm12mptch

For a better quality, I'm a huge fan of bushnell. I have two trophy cams that have been running strong since 2009 and will still hold batteries for 8-10 months and don't miss a photo. I have a newer trophy cam I got in 2016 that hasn't missed a beat.

I enjoyed my brownings when they worked. Just haven't had the best luck with them in the long run. Same with Moultrie.

Browning far and away compared to moultrie, bushnell, stealthcam and cuddebaks that I've used.

Never had a browning stop working for no apparent reason going on 5 years. Good pics, great battery life and no issues in general except when they get 3 feet of water above them for a few days.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I agree with Gut_Pile on the Terra's. I have three of the 12s and if you factor in price (got them for $30) I think they are the most impressive cameras I've ever owned. 1000's of pictures on regular AA batteries. Great day pics. Good night pics. My only complaint is that they do not have a delay setting between pictures.

I’ve had great luck with the Bushnell trophy cam. I’ve got three of these and haven’t had a bit of trouble out of them.

Covert mpe6. 80 bucks. Simple to use. Works and battery life is months

Browning cams......they're the reincarnated Moultrie M-80's.

Quote Originally Posted by FOWL MOUTH View Post
    Browning cams......they're the reincarnated Moultrie M-80's.
    To this day the best quality pictures I've ever had were taken with the first gen M-80s.

I’ve had 5 Browning’s running continuously for the past couple years. The only issue I’ve had is one of the ones with the digital viewing screen gets moisture in it after a long heavy rain. But it dries out in a few days. Doesn’t effect anything other than making the screen foggy.

you're gonna get so many opinions.

i get a kick out of someone saying "look at this awesome pic I got with a $50 camera." well, game cams use 16mp cameras a lot these days. daytime pics with that camera should be pretty sharp. trigger speed and battery life seem to matter. BUT trigger speed doesnt mean much if you're putting it on a corn pile all the time. features are nice. being able to ask the camera to go to sleep after a few pics and wake up a few minutes later so you dont have to weed thru 1000 pics of the same five does.

gutpile gave you the right link. that review page is a good one. get an idea of how you plan to use the camera and make an informed decision. look at trigger speed and battery life (IMO) over some of the other features....
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

X whatever for Browning. We run a bunch and they are the mort reliable brand.

I went to browning and never had a reason to change. I had one die this year. I think it was 5 years old. It still takes pictures, it just doesn't keep up with the time stamp. And I don't like my pics saying January 1 2016.

May try one of those $40 cameras

ETA: And my cameras run year round.
    Last edited by uga_dawg; 08-15-2019 at 03:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by uga_dawg View Post
    I went to browning and never had a reason to change. I had one die this year. I think it was 5 years old. It still takes pictures, it just doesn't keep up with the time stamp. And I don't like my pics saying January 1 2016.

May try one of those $40 cameras

Swap battery trays with a different browning camera. That’s what browning will tell you to do if you call their customer service for any issue with their cameras, and 9/10 times it has fixed my problem. Then you can order a new tray from them for like $10. That trick has kept several cameras out of the trash can.

ETA: And my cameras run year round.

Swap battery trays with a different browning camera. That’s what browning will tell you to do if you call their customer service for any issue with their cameras, and 9/10 times it has fixed my problem. Then you can order a new tray from them for like $10. That trick has kept several cameras out of the trash can.

Quote Originally Posted by wiz18 View Post
    Thanks. I'll give it a shot.