Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: When do you know “it’s time”

Do you guys have them put down? Or do you let them pass at home?

No one can tell you. You will know.

I've carried 2 dogs to the vet and had them put to sleep in the last 2 years, both instances I felt like I waited too long. Selfishness of not wanting to lose them.

Animals are a lot tougher than we are and seem to tolerate an immense amount of pain. The main thing is to be there for them when they pass, I hear of too many fellas who "can't do it" and I think that's a cop out. It's heartbreaking to let them go but they lived every day for us, it's the least you can do for your family pet / hunting companion.
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

It's hard but my dogs told me. When they don't wag their tail when you console them.

Quality of life is subjective and varies widely in its definition from owner to owner. You have an established baseline normal QOL no one but you can define based on your dog and y'all's interaction.

Some logical non emotional guidelines I use for my clients is this;

1) A known chronic or ongoing disease process that in its progression is life ending and is not responding favorably to treatment. 2) Severely decreased or complete lack of appetite. 3) Acute and severe weight loss. 4) Inability to or lack of desire to get themselves up and out to relieve themselves.

This "You'll know and they'll tell you" stuff sounds warm, fuzzy and all but does little to actually set some hard boxes to check so the decision is easier.

I hate for anyone to have to make that call when the pet is in that grey zone so we do our best to give our clients logical and observable conditions or actions that make that call easier.

Hope this helps. Let me know if I can do anything else.
    Last edited by Glenn; 08-15-2019 at 08:49 AM.

It's hard but like all other you will know. Toughest thing i have ever had to do. It will make a grown man bawl