Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When do you know “it’s time”

Default When do you know “it’s time”

My lab is quickly declining in health. Her last vet visit (2 weeks ago) revealed low kidney functions after blood work. They kept her on IV’s and observation for 3 nights with limited changes in kidney levels and diagnosed her with chronic kidney disease and estimated a 3-5 month lifespan. She will be 12 this October.

To see her go downhill this quick is breaking my heart. In a matter of weeks she went from swimming and playing with the kids in the yard to sleeping 95% of the day, losing her hair and not eating. The Appetite went from not finishing her food to just now she wouldn’t even lick a spoon of peanut butter.

My question is “when do you know it’s time”. I don’t want her suffering but as I’m typing this, she is laying on the hardwoods looking at me with a little wag still in her tail which makes me believe she isn't ready.

Why does this shit have to be so damn difficult?
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    now Hogan can fuck off on here all day and call it work, thanks!

i think she will let you know and your gut will tell you. and I'm typically more of a science type. it won't be easy but you will have a peace about it. you will inevitably second guess yourself when its over but all you can do is the best you know how. take comfort in that. thoughts and prayers. I know it sucks. the 12 years of memories are priceless. focus on that.
    "Check your premise." Dr. Hugh Akston

You’ll know and she’ll let you know too.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

You will know.

Our rule with the last one, was when she couldn't get up and around to do the things she liked to. It sucked, she was happy as could be laying on a bed but got to where she couldn't stand up to go outside etc.

It was the toughest thing I've had to do thus far in my life. The new puppy helped me remember how fun a dog is. I wasn't ready for another dog for a year or so.

Esrd. End stage renal disease. Look it up.so you will know the symptoms and what to expect. Cherish what time you have left

If a man is alone in the woods, says something, and a woman does not hear, is he still wrong?

Bipartisan usually means that a larger-than-usual deception is being carried out. —George Carlin

Common sense is not a gift. It's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone else who doesn't have it.

As others have said, you will know. It absolutely sucks and I wouldn’t wish it on my worst enemy.
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

My experience, is usually when you start asking yourself "is it time?", it's probably going to be within days, maybe a week or two. The last dog we put down went through spells the last few days of his life. He'd be up wagging his tail, but at the same time his quality of life wasn't great and he was sleeping the vast majority of the day. We probably could have stretched it out another few days, but decided to put him down while he still had a little dignity, and before he went to the bottom of the hill. It made the last day with him better than it would have been if he took an extreme turn for the worse (which could have happened within hours at any point).

It sucks ... We've put down 2 in the last 15 months, and will probably put down two more in the next 5 years unless they live some abnormally long life. As much as it hurt in the past, I always tell myself repeatedly that they deserve a dignified death, and don't need to suffer.
    Last edited by huntinghagen#12; 08-14-2019 at 05:53 PM.

We went through this back in October with my lab. She was 8-1/2 and came down with breast cancer which spread to her lungs and heart. She went down hill quick ( as in a matter of 2-3 weeks). We basically left it up to when she quit drinking any water and wouldnt even eat people food. It was the hardest thing i have ever had to do. We just replaced her with a new pup 3 weeks ago. We looked at many litters and nothing seemed to fit with our timeline. We finially found the perfect one for us. I kept telling my wife how much she looked like our old one. Unbeknownst to be we picked her up 1 day from being 9 years to the day we got our old one. Kinda felt like she had a part in saying yall did the rite thing and here is your new girl i picked for yall. They will let you know when its getting near. You just have to be honest with yourself and see the signs. Praying for you man i know its tough.

Lot of truth dropped so far. Quality of life and if they are suffering is what I guage it on. Every situation is different and like it has been said you will know. Focus on the life you provided and stay strong.

It's a hard , hard time but she will let you know, just no more suffering. I feel for you , it's not easy.

I'm in nearly the same situation with my 12 year old lab, she'll be 13 at the end of September. I took her to the vet last week because she didn't seem to be feeling well, and x-rays showed she has a mass in her right lung and an enlarged liver likely caused by cancer as well. Doc said we're probably looking at a few weeks or so. We're doing our best to keep her comfortable and happy as possible for now.

I've been struggling with the same question myself and dreading every minute of it knowing it's looming over us. We're sending thoughts and prayers your way, brother.

My Black Lab was 11 yo , retired from dove fields and restricted to only treeing squirrels which she loved. Woke up that Sunday Morning, let her out the pen , I noticed she was moving slowly, but didn’t think much, cause she was arthritic to some degree. I went about my business outside and didn’t notice “SUGAR “ trying to help me work or laying in front of fan. Seen my neighbor which she visited daily and he said another neighbor called and said was laying in the road, slow moving. I went looking for her, no luck. Noticed my wienerdog was laying close to road, so I went to investigate, and across the road was “SUGAR “ laying in pines. I loaded her up and carried her home. She was bloated and unaware of her surroundings. Called my vet , he was out of town and will be home later that day. I put her in front of fan with water and food. Went inside to eat lunch and within 15 minutes, she died. She ran off to die without causing grief to me and my family, she knew I would come look for her and couldn’t make it far enough to see her suffer. They are man’s Best Friend.
    Her big Sister a Chocolate Lab 12yo did the same thing, Another neighbor found her collar 3 months later about 1/2 mile from home about a year before. These dogs where hand picked by my daughters. I don’t think I will get another LAB or any dog when the weinerdog dies.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've been through end stage kidney disease twice. You will know for sure. When they quit eating and/or drinking the time is near. Also, when they have more bad days than good days. Are you giving your pup daily IV treatment? If so, that can extend life expectancy some. Kidney disease with pet sucks! I hate it!!
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

Of you’ve got to ask when it’s time it’s time
    You've got one life. Blaze on!

I feel for you! I will keep you guys in my prayers, as it’s one of the toughest things I’ve ever had to do.

I’m sorry to hear this. I’ll pray that you and your family will get comfort and strength to deal with this. I lost one in 2006 to an accident. To this day I do not want another dog that is “mine”. My wife has a dog and the kids have a dog. I refuse to get attached to either one. I absolutely could not imagine what it would take to get to the place where you know it’s time. Again, I’m sorry for you and I will be praying for you and your family

You will know. I just recently went down this same road and after a couple of years battling the same issues over and over, after thousands of dollars in vet bills, after many days trying to figure out what, why and how, I finally knew when it was time. It was a hard damn decision but I know without a doubt it was the right time for her. Trust your gut and don’t let her suffer. Sorry you’re having to deal with this. My lab was also 12.

I've always thought, when they stop eating, they're telling you that it is time.

Bob
    It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

Does beating your dog make you feel good about being a poor trainer?

Prayers for you, your family and your dog.