Thread: Illinois Hunt Questions

Default Illinois Hunt Questions

I met a guy at the beach this summer that is from Marion County, IL. We got to talking about hunting and him and his buddy have alot of land to hunt up there and offered me a place to come hunt this fall. In my research it looks like I can buy a tag over the counter but I am having difficulty talking to a live person at their DNR.

For those that have been I have a couple questions....

• Would I be better off hunting the shotgun or muzzleloader season?

• Can I buy a tag online or over the counter?

I feel like it's a good opportunity to go especially since all I will have to buy is a tag and 3 day license. I welcome comments and past experiences or any advice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghetto View Post
    A larger caliber will help you with your deer kills. Try it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post
    I agree with timber22

Sounds like a passionate beach trip

It is draw a hunt but they have more tags than hunters usually but will sell out.

FWIW, Some yankees talk big on the beach. I know a bunch of horror stories but I have meet some good people from Iowa.

Sounds like a passionate beach trip
    Passion in the white sand!

I agree with timber22

Quote Originally Posted by Bigtimber2 View Post
    It is draw a hunt but they have more tags than hunters usually but will sell out.

FWIW, Some yankees talk big on the beach. I know a bunch of horror stories but I have meet some good people from Iowa.
    Thanks.....this Yankee was full fledge on the Trump train. He sent me the maps of the tracts and pictures of some deer they have killed. I think they want to reciprocate a hunt to SC which is cool with me. I will trade a 2 yo 8 for and chance at a IL buck. Just trying to figure out the process from people who have been.

I agree with timber22

Quote Originally Posted by Timberman22 View Post
    Thanks.....this Yankee was full fledge on the Trump train. He sent me the maps of the tracts and pictures of some deer they have killed. I think they want to reciprocate a hunt to SC which is cool with me. I will trade a 2 yo 8 for and chance at a IL buck. Just trying to figure out the process from people who have been.
    Pm feets. He hunted Illinois last year. Maybe high fence? Not sure?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would go first shot gun season and if you don't kill you could go back second season. First season the rut should be hot and heavy. I went to college at SIU and hunted all over that area. Good duck hunting around there too. Pm me if you have any questions.

I'm just saying but.....we have Whitetail's here.....your looking at least a 10 to 12 hour drive. Not to mention you have to hunt with nonsense weaponry.
    Last edited by Rabbitman09; 08-14-2019 at 07:32 PM.

We go for gun season, couple buddies lease some land for bow hunting and work out a deal for us to gun hunt it

The 2nd drawing deadline was end of June, I think they have another in August if I am correct. Normally not an issue to get gun tags but never know. I would not go up there without having tags first

Once you ever go you will be spoiled , amazing deer herd up there.

Neat to see 140+ bucks every where right out in middle of a corn/bean field in the wide open

PM me with any questions. We have made the trip 4 times and this will be our 5th. Did not go last couple years but going back this year

And as far as the folks up there, nice as they can be. Came to the conclusion “country folk are just country folk” just some of them talk different than others. We hunt a guys property up there and he opens his barn to us like it is our own, heck he gets more excited when one of the 3 of us gets a deer than we do. Have to admit I was taken back by how hospitable everyone was up there

We hunt in Norris City IL, 3 towns there Carmi, Norris City and Grayville You honestly would think you were in Starr, Iva and Abbeville SC
    Last edited by tprice; 08-14-2019 at 07:55 PM.

Tprice, the place I would be going is just west of where you're at. Outside of Mt. Vernon. I will send you a PM with my cell if you don't mind giving me a shout tomorrow. Heath

I agree with timber22

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbitman09 View Post
    I'm just saying but.....we have Whitetail's here.....your looking at least a 10 to 12 hour drive. Not to mention you have to hunt with nonsense weaponry.
    What is a 10 hour ride when I drive 4-6 hours almost everyday? Free hunt I think is worth it.

I agree with timber22

Quote Originally Posted by tprice View Post

And as far as the folks up there, nice as they can be. Came to the conclusion “country folk are just country folk” just some of them talk different than others. We hunt a guys property up there and he opens his barn to us like it is our own, heck he gets more excited when one of the 3 of us gets a deer than we do. Have to admit I was taken back by how hospitable everyone was up there

We hunt in Norris City IL, 3 towns there Carmi, Norris City and Grayville You honestly would think you were in Starr, Iva and Abbeville SC
    People in the Midwest are probably as nice as anyone in the country. Phenomenal people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Until you cancel a fishing trip and don’t go Muskie fishing with them.....