Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 410 shells

Quote Originally Posted by GBelly View Post
    Winchester 3” number 6 shot for 410 doves
    yep

in my experience 9's will break clay, but just bust feathers on doves, JMO.

I like and shoot the 3" 7 1/2's out of a mod choke in my 410 under & over.
    Last edited by Model12; 08-15-2019 at 08:47 AM.

Did I get redirected to the turkey hunting forum

Quote Originally Posted by jevans View Post
    Hell no. You are still in the forum of gentlemen.
    cut\'em

If you give 10 people a bag of gold, someone will complain about how heavy it is!

Quote Originally Posted by jevans View Post
    no, SPUR would be here to set us straight....
    or trkykilr or some other silly turkey related name
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

and Uga, how old is your kid? i dont have any issue with what you are doing....but, IMO, a 410 is better suited for killing doves in the hands of an accomplished shooter than a young kid. I'd wait a year and give him a 20ga or dont even talk about recoil and let him have at it.

but I readily admit I am a horrible parent and like dove hunting enough to make my kids take bb guns until the were old enough to drive....

Just because they're not ready doesn't mean they're not ready.

honestly, its not about being ready. its about being successful. it certainly depends on the kid. if Uga's kid wants to bang away with a 410 and not be the type of kid that is disappointed in his success.....go for it. if he's having other issues with being too small and the 410 is his only choice....well, you have a choice to make.

i aint done everything right....but i've been wrong before. meaning: i'm old enough to have made some mistakes that others can learn from.

i wanted my kids to hunt with me...until they did...and it wasnt hunting any more. it was watching kids in the woods. I readily admit I didnt enjoy it that much. I had one kid that wanted to shoot shoot shoot. I dont have a 410 i would let him shoot so we went with a smaller frame 20. i couldnt dove hunt. I had to be next to him and help him. it wasnt fun. i dont think he had fun, either. we hung it up. the next year, he was ready. he hasnt stopped shooting since. Son2 never wanted to be the first to shoot. He went at it much slower. Same parents, different kid. I think parents need to know which kid they have....not how bad they, as the parent, want the kid to participate.
    and I hope you know I aint talking to you, Uga. You seem to do things well....like my opinion matters.

but if I had to do it all over again, i'd take my kids in the woods just as much as I did....but I wouldn't be near as anxious to let them be the hunter. My daughter is 13 and killed her first two deer last year and started shooting clays in the high school league. she NEVER cared to be the shooter but enjoyed cleaning deer and doves and all that came along with a hunt growing up. Her maturity as an outdoorsman has been just the way I would want it. When she was old enough to know what she was killing, she decided she wanted to be the gunner. and she did. wonderfully. we skipped all the petty crap of taking a brat 6 year old boy "hunting."

every kid is different. even if they have the same dad.
    Last edited by 2thDoc; 08-15-2019 at 07:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dmatheny21 View Post
    must be near bishopville, or at least that hat was at one point

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    honestly, its not about being ready. its about being successful. it certainly depends on the kid. if Uga's kid wants to bang away with a 410 and not be the type of kid that is disappointed in his success.....go for it. if he's having other issues with being too small and the 410 is his only choice....well, you have a choice to make.

i aint done everything right....but i've been wrong before. meaning: i'm old enough to have made some mistakes that others can learn from.

i wanted my kids to hunt with me...until they did...and it wasnt hunting any more. it was watching kids in the woods. I readily admit I didnt enjoy it that much. I had one kid that wanted to shoot shoot shoot. I dont have a 410 i would let him shoot so we went with a smaller frame 20. i couldnt dove hunt. I had to be next to him and help him. it wasnt fun. i dont think he had fun, either. we hung it up. the next year, he was ready. he hasnt stopped shooting since. Son2 never wanted to be the first to shoot. He went at it much slower. Same parents, different kid. I think parents need to know which kid they have....not how bad they, as the parent, want the kid to participate.
    and I hope you know I aint talking to you, Uga. You seem to do things well....like my opinion matters.

but if I had to do it all over again, i'd take my kids in the woods just as much as I did....but I wouldn't be near as anxious to let them be the hunter. My daughter is 13 and killed her first two deer last year and started shooting clays in the high school league. she NEVER cared to be the shooter but enjoyed cleaning deer and doves and all that came along with a hunt growing up. Her maturity as an outdoorsman has been just the way I would want it. When she was old enough to know what she was killing, she decided she wanted to be the gunner. and she did. wonderfully. we skipped all the petty crap of taking a brat 6 year old boy "hunting."

every kid is different. even if they have the same dad.
    I could care less when they shoot what. They are growing up on a farm in the country. They won't have any shortage of opportunities. My girl has always been excited about dove hunting. She asks me when dove season is every year, but this year she asked if she could try to shoot a dove. I have a 20 that her younger brother can probably use now. But he's got 25 pounds on her and she isn't ready for it. So we are starting with the 410 under a powerline. The same 410 I started with and was my grandfathers.

My little boy will probably want to try too because they are close in age and competitive. But truthfully he is more interested in deer hunting. He asked for a deer rifle for his birthday. He's been practicing with the 223. If he wants to shoot a deer this year he is ready. If he doesn't the gun and the deer aren't going anywhere.

As for the dove field I'm not too concerned. Well setup some targets in the field and shoot them if we don't get a bird. And we'll def have the bb guns with us as well. Even the pink one. As for the potential for disappointment, kids will surprise you if you let them. And learning to fail is just as important as learning to win.

sounds great. i love the sentimentality of the old gun. girls seem to appreciate that more than boys. have at it!

and i agree on the failure part. i set my kids up or failure on purpose, sometimes.

2th, I didnt read what you typed.. but whatever it is I'm pretty sure we agree on how to introduce kids to hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by uga_dawg View Post
    I could care less when they shoot what. They are growing up on a farm in the country. They won't have any shortage of opportunities. My girl has always been excited about dove hunting. She asks me when dove season is every year, but this year she asked if she could try to shoot a dove. I have a 20 that her younger brother can probably use now. But he's got 25 pounds on her and she isn't ready for it. So we are starting with the 410 under a powerline. The same 410 I started with and was my grandfathers.

My little boy will probably want to try too because they are close in age and competitive. But truthfully he is more interested in deer hunting. He asked for a deer rifle for his birthday. He's been practicing with the 223. If he wants to shoot a deer this year he is ready. If he doesn't the gun and the deer aren't going anywhere.

As for the dove field I'm not too concerned. Well setup some targets in the field and shoot them if we don't get a bird. And we'll def have the bb guns with us as well. Even the pink one. As for the potential for disappointment, kids will surprise you if you let them. And learning to fail is just as important as learning to win.
    Way to go Dad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by theoldblackdog View Post
    must be near bishopville, or at least that hat was at one point
    Yes sir. I use to run the place with Harry.
    If you give 10 people a bag of gold, someone will complain about how heavy it is!

They have some AA's in 9's on cabelas. target loads.

I might go 8's, but I don't really trust 9's to penetrate feathers.
    9s is all we shoot first season...no worries whatsoever
    Last edited by FishSticker; 08-15-2019 at 11:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    no, SPUR would be here to set us straight....
    or trkykilr or some other silly turkey related name
    I set him straight very early in this thread
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

They have some AA's in 9's on cabelas. target loads.

I might go 8's, but I don't really trust 9's to penetrate feathers.
    Call Chris or Arnie at Simpson's in Manning, if doesn't have them he will get them.
    Last edited by rrconductor; 08-15-2019 at 01:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rrconductor View Post
    Call Chris or Arnie at Simpson's in Manning, if doesn't have them he will get them.
    Chris helps me spend alot of money and his brother gets what's left.