First of all the guy in this story, if true is a world-class piece of sh!t. If true, he solicited underage girls for sex then did so on duty as a sheriff's deputy then arrived in uniform in his patrol car to consummate his deal. Each and every element of that story sickens me. Now for the part that bothers me equally, the story says that upon hearing the news Sherrif Leon Lett said:

“That was something that made me sick to my stomach,” Lott said, “that one of my deputies that I trust, that we put out here in the community, is one of these monsters.”

Lott immediately fired the deputy and informed South Carolina’s police licensing agency so Vandenham can’t become a police officer again.

Lott said the arrest was one the most frustrating moments of his law enforcement career and “disgusted” him.

Again, IF TRUE, this guy deserves it all and much more, but isn't there a presumption of innocence? If the sheriff is so willing to try and convict him and make sure he never works again within minutes of learning of his arrest, then how could he ever find justice? Certainly, private employers do the very same each day of firing employees because they were arrested well before any adjudication but seriously when officers of the law/court bypass innocence, should we not be disturbed? Maybe I have watched one too many Netflix specials but it would seem to me that "put on leave without pay" would have been a more logical first step. Am I missing something? MG

https://www.thestate.com/news/local/...233945087.html