Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Roofing question

Duration has the sure nail strip. When 6 nails are installed on that strip and pressure on guns ain’t too hard your entire roof system will blow off before your shingles do. $700 for the duration shingles on a roof your size and pitch is money well spent. All comes down to the installers though. If you got guys installing duration shingles with too much air pressure and nailing them too high it won’t really matter how good of a shingle you are using
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

If you want to check out the Spray Foam route give BJ Pipkin a call at 843-344-1387 for a quote.

Quote Originally Posted by TheVisorGuy View Post
    Duration has the sure nail strip. When 6 nails are installed on that strip and pressure on guns ain’t too hard your entire roof system will blow off before your shingles do. $700 for the duration shingles on a roof your size and pitch is money well spent. All comes down to the installers though. If you got guys installing duration shingles with too much air pressure and nailing them too high it won’t really matter how good of a shingle you are using
    The guy I'm leaning towards did quote me 6 nails per shingle. This guy has done some repair work for me in the past. I can't speak to his help but I do trust him.

Quote Originally Posted by WoodieSC View Post
    Thread pegged for info..
    You are the SCDucks pegging expert.
    Miner's Daughter's Coal Train 'Rosco'

"The only human quality he lacks is speech" -Alfred Brehm

Quote Originally Posted by reeltight View Post
    The guy I'm leaning towards did quote me 6 nails per shingle. This guy has done some repair work for me in the past. I can't speak to his help but I do trust him.
    If you trust him then I’d go with my gut. If you trust him enough to roof it then I’d say you trust him enough to come back if you have issues whether it’s next week or 8 years from now. Biggest thing with your roof is nail placement and depth. 6 nails per shingle that are either shot too high or shot too hard and blown through the shingle would be worse than 2 nails per shingle that are installed in the correct place and adequate pressure.

Other than that, ice and water in all valleys and penetrations, synthetic felt underlayment, new rubber pipe boots, all new flashing , new ridge vent,,etc... you should be good.

I have installed quite a few of the solar fans and they are slick. Problem is they don’t pull much air and you would need quite a few of them on your house. If you’ve got soffit vents and ridge vents I’d roll on. Too many people worry about how hot their attics are. Attics ain’t made to be cool. But there needs to be fresh air introduced into the attic

Quote Originally Posted by Birddawg View Post
    You are the SCDucks pegging expert.
    What do you care? I need to have the roof replaced someday soon and it's smart to learn from these threads.

Besides, you're doing the same 'pegging', but instead of being up front about it, you do it via personal attacks and innuendo with asinine posts like the above. KMA...
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

I love this place.
    mainly bc its not my fault, for once.

Visor guy is dead on about installers. I wish that weren't the case bc its gonna be the owner's/boss man's fault when things happen.
    I have had a roof saga from the day I bought my house. It solidified my disdain for "insurance" as well as the importance of the installer.

Good luck.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

pegging....

Quote Originally Posted by TheVisorGuy View Post
    If you trust him then I’d go with my gut. If you trust him enough to roof it then I’d say you trust him enough to come back if you have issues whether it’s next week or 8 years from now. Biggest thing with your roof is nail placement and depth. 6 nails per shingle that are either shot too high or shot too hard and blown through the shingle would be worse than 2 nails per shingle that are installed in the correct place and adequate pressure.

Other than that, ice and water in all valleys and penetrations, synthetic felt underlayment, new rubber pipe boots, all new flashing , new ridge vent,,etc... you should be good.

I have installed quite a few of the solar fans and they are slick. Problem is they don’t pull much air and you would need quite a few of them on your house. If you’ve got soffit vents and ridge vents I’d roll on. Too many people worry about how hot their attics are. Attics ain’t made to be cool. But there needs to be fresh air introduced into the attic
    He quoted it right and he's been here a time or two to solve problem shingles that were "high-nailed" so I'm sure he would instruct his guys the correct way. The leak I have now is a problem in a valley. Apparently there's no ice/water there. Go figure. New flashing around and new ridge vents. And thinking about going with 3 solar fans. Two over the main part of the house and one over the garage.

What brand solar fans are you going with?
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

Lomanco?

Quote Originally Posted by reeltight View Post
    He quoted it right and he's been here a time or two to solve problem shingles that were "high-nailed" so I'm sure he would instruct his guys the correct way. The leak I have now is a problem in a valley. Apparently there's no ice/water there. Go figure. New flashing around and new ridge vents. And thinking about going with 3 solar fans. Two over the main part of the house and one over the garage.
    Sounds like a plan. Let me know if you need help. And as far as the valleys go, ice and water shield is just a second layer of defense. I could tear out and put a valley back that would never leak when I was 14 with no ice and water or felt for that matter. Thing is though if you’re going to be up there doing all that work you might as well do everything you can to make sure you ain’t gotta come back

And them duration onyx black shingles would look good on your house. Estate grey wouldn’t look bad either

Quote Originally Posted by Duck cutter View Post
    What brand solar fans are you going with?
    Looks like I was quoted Air Vent 800 CFM's. Need to research those a little further. Some of these things look better than others.

The things Visor was talking about is why we have supervised roofing crews up on the roof with them.
    Too many roofing sales guys sell roofing jobs without having any company crews to do the work- they sub it all out.
    12/12 dang that. Yankees love them steep pitches- keeps the snow off.

Lol. Thanks BH