Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Roofing question

Default Roofing question

I'm in the process of getting quotes for a new roof. And yes, I've used visordude to help me keep some local contractors honest. Thanks Andrew.

To Andrew and anyone else in the know...

Are reflective shingles worth it? I haven't asked a contractor to quote them yet. What % can I expect to pay for this upgrade? What about a reflective underlayment? I have a big roof zero shade...just trying to decide if my attic and house would get any relief from choosing one of these if not both of these options.

Thanks

Foaming the rafter would probably be better than some voodoo reflecting type stuff. Just my professional opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by charlie horse View Post
    Foaming the rafter would probably be better than some voodoo reflecting type stuff. Just my professional opinion.
    Oh I agree. I just don't have $25k laying around to foam the roof deck. Would possibly even consider it if I thought we'd be here long term.
    Last edited by reeltight; 08-12-2019 at 07:35 PM.

Damn, attic foam should be somewhere around 1.50 +/- a sf... don’t let em sell you on pulling the old insulation. Then you’re adding more sf for your hvac to handle.

Shouldn't be anywhere near 25K.

Let me rephrase, it was damn near $20k to foam the roof deck of the house we were going to build. I haven't actually gotten a quote for this house. Ya'll are both right...it's not $25k. And they house we were building was a larger ranch with lots of roof. I have big roof now but it's not as big as the house we were going to build.

Spray foam is very expensive from commercial to residential work. If you have a sub that does it for $1.50 a sqft . That is a steal. Please share contact information if possible.

Icynene Foam. Conditions attic space. No need for ridge vent, soffit vent, gable vent, etc and no heat builds up in attic since it's insulated. My attic is nearly the same temp as my house.
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

Metal and get some advice, Like Charlie Horse to hook you up. Thank me later.
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Synthetic felt and Owens Corning duration shingles on your house as steep as it is. My experiences with the trendy type shingles such as reflective or cool color series shingles is that they don’t stay in production very long due to their cost and low demand
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

Metal roof over 2x nailers with reflective insulation between the nailer bays wouldn’t be a bad route but it won’t be cheap at all
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

Almost every roofing contractor in the lowcountry will be using foreign sub labor that doesn't give a damn about your house- your quote should include stripping of all existing roofing felt, ice and water, flashing, boots- then a complete inspection for rot and replacement of same, new flashing, boots, ice and water, 30# roofing felt and shingles. If you don't have a ridge vent- install one now.

In the past- I have provided an on roof inspector for my friends to make the crew do the job right- we watched every step and had to make them correct things constantly- this was on million+ houses.
    I don't have the spare manpower right now, but you can probably find someone to supervise the slack assed short nailing border jumpers on craigslist. It's a real problem.

Quote Originally Posted by cajunwannabe View Post
    Icynene Foam. Conditions attic space. No need for ridge vent, soffit vent, gable vent, etc and no heat builds up in attic since it's insulated. My attic is nearly the same temp as my house.
    Is your hvac in your attic?
    Last edited by Back40; 08-13-2019 at 07:09 AM. Reason: Spell check

hablo ingles

me yamo es blanco diablo

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Habit View Post
    Almost every roofing contractor in the lowcountry will be using foreign sub labor that doesn't give a damn about your house- your quote should include stripping of all existing roofing felt, ice and water, flashing, boots- then a complete inspection for rot and replacement of same, new flashing, boots, ice and water, 30# roofing felt and shingles. If you don't have a ridge vent- install one now.

In the past- I have provided an on roof inspector for my friends to make the crew do the job right- we watched every step and had to make them correct things constantly- this was on million+ houses.
    I don't have the spare manpower right now, but you can probably find someone to supervise the slack assed short nailing border jumpers on craigslist. It's a real problem.
    I do have a ridge vent and quotes I've received include stripping it down to the deck for a full inspection. Also having attic fans installed as well. Thinking of just going with the solar fans so I don't have to fool with wiring those things up in the attic. Like Andrew said, I have a steep roof. I think it's a 12/12. Trying to work on the roof deck from the attic space is not an easy task.

Andrew, You say OC Duration. I'm being quoted OC Oakridge. What's the difference?

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Habit View Post
    me yamo es blanco diablo
    *llamo

Quote Originally Posted by reeltight View Post
    I do have a ridge vent and quotes I've received include stripping it down to the deck for a full inspection. Also having attic fans installed as well. Thinking of just going with the solar fans so I don't have to fool with wiring those things up in the attic. Like Andrew said, I have a steep roof. I think it's a 12/12. Trying to work on the roof deck from the attic space is not an easy task.

Andrew, You say OC Duration. I'm being quoted OC Oakridge. What's the difference?
    The duration is a better shingle, it has a higher wind-rating (that I know for sure) and a few other differences that I can’t remember right off
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

Thread pegged for info..
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

The cost difference between oakridge and Duration is only $715. Better than I thought. The adder for Cool Shingles is $9735.00. Geeze. I could almost foam the roof deck for that.