Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Homemade Feeder

Default Homemade Feeder

I have a few 55 gallon drums and thinking about making some feeders. Anybody made them in the past and have advice? I was just planning on cutting the top off and a hole in the bottom. Attached a PVC T underneath and make it gravity fed.

Any thoughts or better ideas?

You can get a moultrie all in one feeder kit (digital time and spinner assembly runs of four AA) for $40.
    If you capable of making a stand you can have a nice feeder for fairly inexpensive
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

IMO if you are going to spend the time you may as well spend a little money and do it the right way. Go with a 12v SpinTech feeder. The tray screws up and closes which will save a lot of corn. Also get the solar charger.

Get you a ghost feeder to attach to the bottom. https://quietfeeder.com/index.html

I made some 55gal drums with T-post legs welded on, internal funnel and heavy duty top. Moultrie Pro spinner with the solar battery charger..... Worked good for awhile but the Digital display died on several of them and there around $35 to replace.... I also like the Academy Gravity feeder attachment, kinda like the boss buck deal. They seem to work fairly good.

Thanks that gives me some other ideas.

Double check that price this year...

They are like $55

Quote Originally Posted by Duck cutter View Post
    You can get a moultrie all in one feeder kit (digital time and spinner assembly runs of four AA) for $40.
    If you capable of making a stand you can have a nice feeder for fairly inexpensive

Quote Originally Posted by Geetch View Post
    Get you a ghost feeder to attach to the bottom. https://quietfeeder.com/index.html
    Looks like I'll be able to get some "Big Bucks" to come to that feeder since the "Big Bucks" won't come to a regular feeder. Dang I love me some "Big Bucks."
    Carolina Counsel

Quote Originally Posted by Smilee View Post
    Double check that price this year...

They are like $55
    Walmart on line and Moultrie factory outlet are showing $37-$39 still
    Houndsmen are born, not made

I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

Quote Originally Posted by Carolina Counsel View Post
    Looks like I'll be able to get some "Big Bucks" to come to that feeder since the "Big Bucks" won't come to a regular feeder. Dang I love me some "Big Bucks."
    In my area bucks seem to avoid spin feeders. They'll feed right under these.

Only thing we get to feed on a mechanical feeder is hogs.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

If you go with the barrel idea be sure to close the top somehow. Rain will soak your corn, clogging the funnel and stink like hell.

I make feeders out of 55 gallon steel drums all the time. I just buy the funnel inserts in them and the moultrie spinners on bottom like mentioned above. I then take 2 screw in steps and put them side by side. Place the barrel on the steps and secure with 2 ratchet straps around the tree. This keeps the hogs from being able to knock them over and destroy them. My barrels come with the weather stripping around the top and they are watertight. To fill them up I just back the side by side up and toss the corn in.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by scoutlover View Post
    I make feeders out of 55 gallon steel drums all the time. I just buy the funnel inserts in them and the moultrie spinners on bottom like mentioned above. I then take 2 screw in steps and put them side by side. Place the barrel on the steps and secure with 2 ratchet straps around the tree. This keeps the hogs from being able to knock them over and destroy them. My barrels come with the weather stripping around the top and they are watertight. To fill them up I just back the side by side up and toss the corn in.

Is this the funnel insert you are talking about?

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/wil...ildCatid=29205

PSA has those funnels for 55 and 30 gallon barrels

Quote Originally Posted by Birchwood2 View Post
    Is this the funnel insert you are talking about?

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/wil...ildCatid=29205
    That's it! It allows every last kernel to drop out and no rotting.

I aint paying $20 for a funnel and i'm not sold on the fact that they are necessary for the functionality of a spin feeder.

to the OP....you have lots of options. dont listen to empirical data from people on what deer do around feeders. there are actual studies out there...
    anyway, you can make a gravity feeder with PVC but I would ask why you would want or need it elevated? are you feeding protein pellets? If corn, you could always just set it on the ground or build a small platform to keep it slightly off the ground, if you must. I think its not quite worth it to elevate it, IMO.

Your other option includes mounting a cheap spinner to the bottom and elevating it. tripod legs or some other way to get it up in a tree. I like that idea but it will cost more and take more time.

I have some old barrels that my dad cut holes in and made a top when he got a little older and couldnt manhandle a big ass feeder. i still have them and have at least one of them out and critters eat the corn. hogs knock em over from time to time but i bet i could fix that if i cared enough to. that is certainly the easiest, cheapest route.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

I aint paying $20 for a funnel and i'm not sold on the fact that they are necessary for the functionality of a spin feeder.

to the OP....you have lots of options. dont listen to empirical data from people on what deer do around feeders. there are actual studies out there...
    anyway, you can make a gravity feeder with PVC but I would ask why you would want or need it elevated? are you feeding protein pellets? If corn, you could always just set it on the ground or build a small platform to keep it slightly off the ground, if you must. I think its not quite worth it to elevate it, IMO.

Your other option includes mounting a cheap spinner to the bottom and elevating it. tripod legs or some other way to get it up in a tree. I like that idea but it will cost more and take more time.

I have some old barrels that my dad cut holes in and made a top when he got a little older and couldnt manhandle a big ass feeder. i still have them and have at least one of them out and critters eat the corn. hogs knock em over from time to time but i bet i could fix that if i cared enough to. that is certainly the easiest, cheapest route.
    They aren't necessary for the function of a spin feeder. They are necessary to ensure that you get every piece of corn out of a 55 gallon drum and don't have a butt load of crusty, rotten, moldy corn out of the bottom third of the barrel. I would prefer to spend $20 once than have to take the feeder down every time I fill it and turn it upside down and beat all the old unused corn out. To each their own though.

Yeah don’t read too much into empirical data that says you don’t need a funnel. Just get one, put it in your barrel and you’ll see exactly why you need it
    Last edited by TheVisorGuy; 08-14-2019 at 07:58 AM.
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

put moleskin on the metal spinner plate. boat winch on a nearby tree. winch it up 30' so you dont have to look at it.
    \"Go to Know\"