Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Dove shells

speaking of Dove shells...
    shoot straight and they work. no matter what grip you use.
    Last edited by DoubleSprig; 09-04-2019 at 03:39 PM.

“Muh butts been wiped.” TheBigGuy
    “Poor kids are just as bright and talented as white kids.” PedoPete, Esq.
    “Let’s go Brandon, I agree!” former Vice President Joe Biden
    “Shower time, Ashley.” NotAndyTaylor

i swear i think this is all a ruse to make people suck at shooting.

i dont think of shit. I just put the gun up and follow the little birdie thing and go boom.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    So Wooley didn't splain all that? Still starting with a low gun on everything?
    I do usually start with a low gun and rarely start with a gun that would be too high for FITASC. I really suck if I premount, even on targets that warrant it. I'm prone to riding the target and measuring. A low gun and, when possible, dismount between doubles works better for me.

It works better for you (but not really) because that's the insanity that Wooley brings to a lesson. No, it's not right.
    How can it be right? If breaking all the targets is the goal, how does dogmatically self-handicapping oneself work into the equation? And how does that tie out to the approach of ALL top competitors?

I'm happy to help you with this, anytime. Bluefield is the venue. First 2 hour session is on me.

I've got a lesson next week at Bluefield with Dale Bouchillon, who is a Woolley disciple.

My problem isn't lessons, it's practice. I've only been shooting at our monthly shoots and even some of those I have to miss. Lessons put a lot of confusing thoughts in my head and without practice to cement or reject them, I usually shoot worse for a while after lessons.

BTW, Woolley just added a World gold trophy to his collection while at the 2019 World English held at Northbrook.

His concurrent is super vet and his average is 83. You're always shooting against your class and concurrent.

Quote Originally Posted by Gander View Post
    Is this the same Gil Ash that shot an average of 74% in 2018?
    I have no clue. I know when I built my skeet/clay field complete with remote electronic traps and 9 shooting stations. I started reading what the long time experts/teachers were saying. Picked up stuff here and there that helped me especially with the 28 & 410's. Not everybody paddles the same creek. I just try to improve my shotgun skills. And when hunting season is not in I shoot 2-3 times a week on my field.
    Good shooting to you all........Pulling the trigger and burning powder is the name of the game.
    Last edited by Model12; 09-04-2019 at 10:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Model12 View Post
    I have no clue. I know when I built my skeet/clay field complete with remote electronic traps and 9 shooting stations. I started reading what the long time experts/teachers were saying. Picked up stuff here and there that helped me especially with the 28 & 410's. Not everybody paddles the same creek. I just try to improve my shotgun skills. And when hunting season is not in I shoot 2-3 times a week on my field.
    Good shooting to you all........Pulling the trigger and burning powder is the name of the game.
    Are you open to the public for shooting , do you have a trap field?

It's the same Gil Ash, so consider yourself clued in now. He's a fairly controversial character. I wouldn't listen to anything he's got to say about shooting.

About this hand position business...if you're sliding your hand up the forearm to slow the swing or back towards the receiver to speed it up, you're using your upper body to push the gun. This is contrary to proper basic technique, which dictates the move begins at the ankles and the hips lead the upper body through the swing.

Fish is correct. You move the gun thru the body. From the ankles up. Your hands will nothing more than getting the gun to a fully mounted position. Where you place your leading hand on the forearm should be consistent regardless of the presentation.

My only comment about Gil is he has been in the game for a long time. Targets and techniques have evolved over time. The leaders in the game have adapted. Meanwhile Gil is still teaching techniques that worked back in the days of manual traps. I would gravitate to instructors who are at the top of the game. That 3 bullet drill he espouses is a complete joke among serious shooters.

There is a distinct advantage to starting fully mounted on the majority of targets. But it's just like anything else, you have to learn how to do it properly and practice doing it. My shooting partner was always one of those guys that insisted on shooting low gun. He loves Fitasc and didn't want to hurt his Fitasc game. I finally convinced him to spend some time shooting high gun and now his scores has improved. He made it to master class finally. The top shooters in sporting have learned to perfect multiple mounts. From low gun to fully mounted. Bottom line, you have to practice.

I envision Kevin Costner and his field of dreams....

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    mornings and evenings.

I've never patterned a shotgun, nor do I use fancy shells.

My model 12 performed flawlessly yesterday. Granted, i have a bum shoulder and kinda have to hold the forearm a little differently so that must've helped....
    Could I see a photo of said Model 12.... my Grandpa's Model 12 was the first repeating shotgun I was given.. still love it to this day. Killed my first Gobbler with it in 1978..remember it like it just happened. I don't know who was more surprised, him or me.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Fish is correct. You move the gun thru the body. From the ankles up. Your hands will nothing more than getting the gun to a fully mounted position. Where you place your leading hand on the forearm should be consistent regardless of the presentation.

My only comment about Gil is he has been in the game for a long time. Targets and techniques have evolved over time. The leaders in the game have adapted. Meanwhile Gil is still teaching techniques that worked back in the days of manual traps. I would gravitate to instructors who are at the top of the game. That 3 bullet drill he espouses is a complete joke among serious shooters.

There is a distinct advantage to starting fully mounted on the majority of targets. But it's just like anything else, you have to learn how to do it properly and practice doing it. My shooting partner was always one of those guys that insisted on shooting low gun. He loves Fitasc and didn't want to hurt his Fitasc game. I finally convinced him to spend some time shooting high gun and now his scores has improved. He made it to master class finally. The top shooters in sporting have learned to perfect multiple mounts. From low gun to fully mounted. Bottom line, you have to practice.
    I like to mimic hunting situations. So its all low gun mount for me. Mounted gun seems foreign in all aspects to me even though the pro's do it for clays. I even use low gun shooting SC's at Palmetto.

Quote Originally Posted by rrconductor View Post
    Are you open to the public for shooting , do you have a trap field?
    No sir. It's private. No trap. I also have a rifle pistol range. My toys. I care nothing about any ball sports.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I reckon me shooting doves sitting on a stool blows your first paragraph out of the water.
    Last edited by Model12; 09-05-2019 at 10:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by nitro5x6's View Post
    Could I see a photo of said Model 12.... my Grandpa's Model 12 was the first repeating shotgun I was given.. still love it to this day. Killed my first Gobbler with it in 1978..remember it like it just happened. I don't know who was more surprised, him or me.
    IMG_5487.JPG
    sorry for shitty pic. only one i have handy. both are 16ga. one was my granddads that I shoot regularly. the other was found by Rebel Yell and he called me and I bought it. havent hunted it much yet but plan to when the other one stops working....

I reckon me shooting doves sitting on a stool blows your first paragraph out of the water.
    good luck to you....but you gonna lose this one.

Nice black duck

good eye

Man, I love me a Model 12. Great guns. Those are both very nice. I will buy another before the end of the year.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.