Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Dove shells

^agree
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

R-10's are the only shells....
    you aint did a dawg gon thang until ya STAND UP IN IT!- Theodis Ealey

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    The older I get, the more anal retentive I get.

Minishells.

Try to out dove poet that

ZHF462HYIRSAIYUXDJ6IEBXQHA.jpg

as much as I hate Wal-Mart, the federal value pack is a good shell
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

Quote Originally Posted by Stumpknocker View Post
    I was thinking the same thing,,, if you can't kill doves with wal mart winchester then it ain't the gun OR the shells
    That's all I used to use years ago, whatever was the cheapest on sale at Walmart. Then one year I noticed I was hitting A LOT of birds that kept on getting it. I could hear the pellets hitting the birds but they were toting them off. It got to the point that I shot at a bird sitting on a line and again, I could hear the shot hit the bird and knock some feather off and he flew off. I'm sure it was a bad batch of shells because I had never really had a problem before from then on I spent a little more money on good shells. S&B were the best I ever shot but they quit selling them, or at least they quit showing up in Cabela's catalog.

Rio

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    TFC -"Be tough, or get tough!"

I don't go buy the cheapest shells on purpose... I've got some Clevers and Rios (thanks cuz, haha I was typing before you posted) sitting around. The Rios are 1oz loads, the Clevers I have left in 20g are all 7/8 oz. I'm fine with those. I typically run between a 12 and 20 between seasons, it's rare that I'll shoot a 16g. I have to feel poetic. My silverhawk is basically only used if I'm shooting summerducks in our place and I want to take pictures.
    Last edited by Highstrung; 08-14-2019 at 09:17 AM.

I tend to shoot a lot of shells and make it a point to try a lot of different shells. Here are my thoughts:

Winchester is not what it used to be. After a few blooper loads cost me some tournaments I will never use them again. I also had a lot of boxes with open crimps and loose shot rattling around.

Federal makes a good shell. Even in the cheap promo loads. Federal Papers are probably the best shell on the market.

Remington Nitros are my favorite shells. I've won a lot of tournaments with them. And Walmart sells them cheap in 4 packs.

Rios are absolute junk. Dirty and i get a lot of pierced primers that over time will eat up firing pins.

Clever make a solid shell. Now also being sold as CCM (long story). Their T3'S and T4's are their top of the line shells

Bornaghi's are sold exclusively through able ammo and are some of the best shells coming in from Italy. shipping charges can be high though.

Challengers are pure garbage. Cheap and very inconsistent.

Aguila makes an OK shell. Good hulls and shot but are inconsistent and dirty.

B&P makes a great shell but are expensive especially when you pay shipping costs.

Ultimately, if you suck at wingshooting it doesn't matter what you buy. And if your gun is dirty or has worn springs, no shells will cycle.

Good stuff
    It wasn't the shells
    I just fixed the feeding issue on my granddad's 1957 Sweet 16 for $16. The "cartridge stop" was worn down
    and letting it feed two shells instead of stopping after one came out of the magazine tube.
    YouTube is good for fixing things and Art's Gun Repair (videos) is the best in the country with Brownings.
    Last edited by ecu1984; 08-14-2019 at 09:59 AM.

What ever is cheapest , it is a damn dove.

AAs
    Psalm 42:1 "As the hart panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, O God."

Quote Originally Posted by Kioti View Post
    That's all I used to use years ago, whatever was the cheapest on sale at Walmart. Then one year I noticed I was hitting A LOT of birds that kept on getting it. I could hear the pellets hitting the birds but they were toting them off. It got to the point that I shot at a bird sitting on a line and again, I could hear the shot hit the bird and knock some feather off and he flew off. I'm sure it was a bad batch of shells because I had never really had a problem before from then on I spent a little more money on good shells.
    Every shotgun shell ever made that reaches design velocity within standard deviation will outperform the best shooters in the world on every shot. I said all that to point out the obvious - you just can't shoot for shit. And there are many like you.

Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    Every shotgun shell ever made that reaches design velocity within standard deviation will outperform the best shooters in the world on every shot. I said all that to point out the obvious - you just can't shoot for shit. And there are many like you.
    Shots fired...…………….lol.

I have several cases of 12-20-410 loaded with a mix of 9's/8's/7 1/2's and 6's........Monday I'll use 8's. 9's if they are flying close.

Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    Soft shot-low powered shells(less than 3 dr equiv) in 12 ga can cause that. Step uip to a higher quality shell with HARD shot pushed by at least 3 dr's of powder and the right choke(I shoot modified) your percentages will go up..........I've saw this happen on the skeet field.

D6B8F0AE-92C2-402E-9104-4883A70A693A.jpg
    These shells we kill them dead.

Quote Originally Posted by Model12 View Post
    Soft shot-low powered shells(less than 3 dr equiv) in 12 ga can cause that. Step uip to a higher quality shell with HARD shot pushed by at least 3 dr's of powder and the right choke(I shoot modified) your percentages will go up..........I've saw this happen on the skeet field.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

I’ve heard of goose shells but never dove shells. Sounds like a helluva marketing idea though! Layout blinds, the whole nine.. I’d honestly love to see it
    “Get out among the mountains and trees, friend, as soon as you can. They will do more for you than either man or woman could.” Theodore Roosevelt to John Muir after his wife's passing in 1905.

a layout dove shoot has got to be some kinda fun.
    whether shooting $10/box fiocchi’s or a $4.50/box walmark’s specials
    Last edited by DoubleSprig; 08-30-2019 at 07:51 PM.

“Muh butts been wiped.” TheBigGuy
    “Poor kids are just as bright and talented as white kids.” PedoPete, Esq.
    “Let’s go Brandon, I agree!” former Vice President Joe Biden
    “Shower time, Ashley.” NotAndyTaylor