Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 20 ga

Quote Originally Posted by wiz18 View Post
    Don’t fuck your body up over 1 season of dove shooting. Give the arm time to heal properly. I had elbow surgery a few springs ago and decided to not bow hunt the following fall (I’m eat up with archery and bow hunting). First and hopefully last time I’ll ever have to do that. But for the long game it was a wise decision.
    Listen to this advice. I broke my right wrist in ‘96 and was put in a thumb splint cast up to my elbow. The fracture would not heal so my ortho started asking questions about my activities. Needless to say he wasn’t happy about me dove hunting twice a week. I was in a cast for several months after that because I had fractured it far worse than the initial injury.
    \"If they don\'t hatch, they don\'t fly south\"

Quote Originally Posted by SOUTHERN WOODS View Post
    I was about to buy one but the length of pull is way short for me. Hard to pass at that price.
    That's an easy problem to fix. Limbsaver Slip-On pad will give you an extra inch right in seconds. Increasing a gun's LOP is always much less involved that reducing it. I envy you.

Being 5'7" with a 12-3/4" LOP I've had to cut all my guns down to achieve somewhat proper fit.
    Last edited by willyworm; 08-11-2019 at 11:18 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

I picked up an older 1100 in 20ga, that's basically a 12ga frame with 20ga hardware. Not one of those 1100LW or LTs. It's a tad on the heavy end, should make a very soft shooting sub gauge gun for when the kids get a little older or for when I get old and don't want to shoot a 12ga any more. Who knows...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."

Thanks for the good advice Willyworm
    Quote Originally Posted by Chessbay View Post
    Literally translated to, "I smell like Scotch and Kodiak".
    "Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees"- Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

M2.

Quote Originally Posted by Gregory View Post
    M2.
    Agreed. Sweet shooting 20ga. Bought one for my wife but I shoot it a good bit as well.

If you’re going to take this risk for a dumb bird, teach yourself to shoot left-handed. It’s not all that hard, although you may need some extra shells.

Good luck.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

Quote Originally Posted by WoodieSC View Post
    If you’re going to take this risk for a dumb bird, teach yourself to shoot left-handed. It’s not all that hard, although you may need some extra shells.

Good luck.
    Doc says I’m clear to shoot. I probably will sit out truthfully, though
    Quote Originally Posted by Chessbay View Post
    Literally translated to, "I smell like Scotch and Kodiak".
    "Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees"- Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

I'd rather chop off my left pinkie than miss wingshooting..

Quote Originally Posted by smitch320 View Post
    You got that right! Real shame because I shoot those humpbacks great
    Model 11 with the steel stock plate will wear you out.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

My favorite 20 gauge is only 6 lbs and 6 ounces - it kicks like a mule.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

If docs cleared me then i would find a shotgun to shoot. Hell with sitting it out, may be the last dove season I would ever see.
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunwannabe View Post
    Man is merely a two legged locust, devouring wild lands, developing and prostituting wildlife and fisheries under the guise of "use of the resource" for tremendous profit and moving on. Will it ever end?

Quote Originally Posted by wiz18 View Post
    Don’t fuck your body up over 1 season of dove shooting. Give the arm time to heal properly. I had elbow surgery a few springs ago and decided to not bow hunt the following fall (I’m eat up with archery and bow hunting). First and hopefully last time I’ll ever have to do that. But for the long game it was a wise decision.
    Solid advice. Last year whenever I bulged a disc onto a nerve I was told that I may never shoot a bow again. I decided to go to PT instead of surgery. It was a long hard process that literally made me cry, but it worked. No matter how much I wanted to I left my bow alone until the PT told me I could try. Then I didn't jump right to 70lbs. I took my back up bow and tuned it down to about 45 and started there. I can now shoot 70lbs, but only about ten times before my arm tires.

my two softest shooting 20 gauge autos are a Beretta 391 Urika and a Remington 1100 LT.
    Private Land Rubberhead # 1

A buddy of mine is selling a Benelli Sport II, if you're interested. He bought a Beretta 20 ga yesterday, and is selling the Benelli
    "Some high society lady says is your horse outside, no ma'am he's between my legs, but you're too fat to ride" Hank Jr

Lots of solid advice above, my 20 gauge O/U kicks like a rented mule. I would use the injury as an excuse to pick up a high quality.410 or 28 gauge. I’ve been trying to justify buying an ultra lite 28 ga semi auto. If I were in your shoes that’s the route I would go.

Ultra light in a shotgun name pretty always means "kick like Bruce Lee."
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Shoot with the opposite shoulder/arm. It's not that hard to pick up and you've got time to practice. You might not be ole dead eye come opening day but you will be out there knocking them down, that's the important thing.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

I have an older Browning Belgium Sweet 16 and the light 20
    They both shoot like butter. I just ordered the rebuild kits for them last night
    ahead of dove season. Still have the original springs and friction rings from the late 50's.
    Last edited by ecu1984; 08-12-2019 at 04:37 PM.

Seven months is a long time for a bone to heal.