Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 20 ga

Default 20 ga

I am toying the idea of purchasing another shotgun.

I need a 20 gauge ( I think), broke my arm badly back in January and dusted off my old 16 ga. Model 11 for some dove season prep and damn near backed the screws out of my arm. I've got an old 1100 and 870, both of which kick like rented mules.

Would a 20 have a better recoil or worse? I suspect being a smaller frame and lighter the recoil would be worse. I really don't know the answer though.

I am probably going for used as this will not be a primary gun once (hopefully) my arm can handle my trusted old Remington shotguns.

Thanks in advance
    Quote Originally Posted by Chessbay View Post
    Literally translated to, "I smell like Scotch and Kodiak".
    "Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees"- Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

20s are less recoil
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

Quote Originally Posted by Duck cutter View Post
    20s are less recoil
    I figured but started thinking about weight and so forth.

Thanks
    "Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees"- Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

Don’t fuck your body up over 1 season of dove shooting. Give the arm time to heal properly. I had elbow surgery a few springs ago and decided to not bow hunt the following fall (I’m eat up with archery and bow hunting). First and hopefully last time I’ll ever have to do that. But for the long game it was a wise decision.

Quote Originally Posted by wiz18 View Post
    Don’t fuck your body up over 1 season of dove shooting. Give the arm time to heal properly. I had elbow surgery a few springs ago and decided to not bow hunt the following fall (I’m eat up with archery and bow hunting). First and hopefully last time I’ll ever have to do that. But for the long game it was a wise decision.
    Solid advice here too, I may go this route just don't want to accept it yet

New Walmart in greenwood has a Remington 1187 20g on clearance for $349 right now, that’s a pretty good price on that gun and would be easy to resell at around that price if you don’t like it

Buy u a yildiz 28 ga ou
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

A 20 isn't necessarily a lighter recoil than a 12.

True, but I thinks it’s safe to say that a gas 20 is going to be less recoil than the model 11 and 870 he mentioned

Damn model 11 16 gauge I have kicks worse than any of my 12 gauges
    "If its better than cold beer and hot pussy it'll probably kill us all" ~ Rebel Son

Quote Originally Posted by CantCareSB View Post
    Damn model 11 16 gauge I have kicks worse than any of my 12 gauges
    You got that right! Real shame because I shoot those humpbacks great

It depends on the shell difference between the two.. If you're comparing the 12g 1100 and a 1187 20g.. never mind, brain fart. Compare the same two models. The 20 will be lighter, which if you put a heavier or same shell in it.. it will "kick" harder.

*1187 does have gas
    Last edited by Highstrung; 08-11-2019 at 09:08 PM.

buy a 28 gauge rem 870!!!!
    "Hunt today to kill tomorrow." - Ron Jolly

Quote Originally Posted by Phone Man View Post
    Buy u a yildiz 28 ga ou
    If recoil is the concern, wouldn’t an auto be a better choice?
    Carolina Counsel

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    It depends on the shell difference between the two.. If you're comparing the 12g 1100 and a 1187 20, pretty close to the same gun. The 20 will be lighter, which if you put a heavier or same shell in it.. it will "kick" harder.
    That's what I was thinking prior to this post. Thanks for clearing that up

Quote Originally Posted by Carolina Counsel View Post
    If recoil is the concern, wouldn’t an auto be a better choice?
    Yes but it has very very little as is. And its cheap
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

Buy a 410 o/u. You will be hell in the dove field once you can step back up to a 20. It is all you need in a decent field for the first season though it is a little light for late season birds
    cut\'em

Quote Originally Posted by wiz18 View Post
    I’m in agreement with this.

I had some surgery late August last year and was advised to not even think about touching a rifle, shotgun or bow for a good nine months. It was boring, but am now in the clear and looking forward to making up the lost deer, duck, goose and turkey seasons.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

Quote Originally Posted by Duck cutter View Post
    True, but I thinks it’s safe to say that a gas 20 is going to be less recoil than the model 11 and 870 he mentioned
    I was about to buy one but the length of pull is way short for me. Hard to pass at that price.

And to the person that mentioned a 16ga , I have one in a 1148 that is worse than any other shotgun I've ever fired. It may just be the Remington pattern.
    Last edited by SOUTHERN WOODS; 08-11-2019 at 10:48 PM.

Y'all are looking at this all wrong guys. Lower calibers do not necessarily equal less recoil. I've shot .410s that kick harder than a 12ga. It's basic physics. Think of it this way... if you have 35 Newtons of force pushing on 2 objects of differing weights, the 35 Newtons will move the heavier one less.

Thus the heavier the gun is, the less it will recoil. Take a std 20ga 2-3/4, 1oz load. Stick it in a 870, then stick another of the same shell in a BPS... no action to soak it up, just your shoulder ... all other variables equal, the heavier of the 2 guns will produce less felt recoil on your shoulder. Now there are lots of variables in this equation. It's a stretch to compare the recoil of an 870 to that of a 1100. Autos pretty much always soak up more of the recoil compared to pumps and O/Us, but again the heavier the gun is the less it will typically recoil. But when you combine an auto loader on the heavier end of the spectrum, with a good recoil pad like Sims Airtech, shooting a lighter load 3/4oz, 7/8oz or 1oz load, this is your simplest winning combination to keep the hardware in your shoulder in line.

I have learned that a good recoil pad like a Limbsaver helps a little, thicker the better. Sims offers direct replacements for many popular brand scatteguns.

You can go as deep down this "recoil reduction" rabbit hole as you have time and money to do so. I sent my 16ga Remington 11-48's barrel to Briley some years ago for thin wall chokes. Briley claimed lengthening the forcing cone is one step in recoil reduction, so I figured what the hell, might as well do it while they had it. Most shooters don't even know what a forcing cone is, but I digress. That 16ga is the softest shooting firearm I own when shooting a std 1oz dove/target load. Very close to my Remington v3.

Porting of a barrel + lengthening of forcing cone + heavier weight firearm + careful shell selection can equal a very soft shooting gun, but you're gonna spend some money on the porting and forcing cone job. Just gotta decide how much money reduced recoil is worth to you.

If you must, you can get creative and add weight via lead placed into the stock and magazine. Just another thought.
    Last edited by willyworm; 08-12-2019 at 06:21 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft