Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cable TV and Internet Bill

I do internet and Sling on my roku. I have netflix and then my prime account, and then I use an antenna for locals. I have those on two tvs, I had cable and direct on my place and the lake. It was silly to that much money on something I really didn't watch. We still have direct at the cabin, internet is shitty down there.. basically it would take too much energy to switch.

Sling is like real tv, it's easy to use. All of that broken firestick s*** is sketchy, even the jokers I've seen selling them. It's childlike.

I was using directv now for a while due to the low cost. It wasn't super easy to use and had some bugs. Once they hiked up the price, I switched to Hulu and like it much better. All of the offer a free trial. Good internet and you don't need a set top box.
    The right to bear arms is the last form of defense against tyranny.

Quote Originally Posted by SwampDecoy View Post
    And this is the same attitude that most every employee has at Spectrum! This is what's wrong with Monopoly Utilities.

Rick- I cut the cable cord, got the same TV Stations without all the Spectrum Sales Channels and their Ads, and went to YouTube TV, with Prime and Netflix. Cut it both houses, Internet and Home Phone is <$80.00/month at each house ILO $200+each, and we've got every channel we want for $45.00/month with YouTube TV and can stream it at the Hunt Club as well. Spectrum and other providers don't care at all right now, but will after about a year of 14,000 a month going away.
    If you get the impression I don't care, please don't. I'm just being brutally honest with y'all.

We'll sell you TV if you want, if you don't, it's no biggie since again, TV isn't vital to our continued growth as a company. This is just how the higher ups have shaped our business and us evolving to stay competitive. They've done this without coming right out and saying it like I did, but it's true.

That's why we put so much emphasis on small business customers these days. Cause they typically just use phone and internet, which are our 2 biggest money makers.

There's lots of stuff Spectrum does that I don't agree with but I have a family to feed too. I'm just trying to make a living selling what my customers need. I'm just not that pushy sales guy.

As to the monopoly statement, that's simply not true. Pretty much everyone has a choice. There's DSL, satellite fed internet and cellular options available. It's not our fault that in many instances we are the best option of all the ones available, but that, by definition, doesn't make us a monopoly.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by willyworm; 08-12-2019 at 09:53 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Quote Originally Posted by CUduckreeper View Post
    Right now we have spectrum internet and Sling TV, around $90 total. The only thing I don't like is that we don't get local channels. I'm looking into Spectrum Choice. You get all your local channels plus 10 other channels of your choice for $25. There are no contracts with this tv service but it does say that the price is only good for 2 years so i'll probably have to change it up then. With the amount of network tv we watch this will be plenty. So in theory I could get my TV and internet for around $75 a month.
    Youtube TV has local channels.

Quote Originally Posted by willyworm View Post
    Cut the cable. We don't care. We charge more for internet by itself anyway. There's very little profit on TV services, compared to the other 2 services. By the time we pay ESPN, the Weather Channel, TBS, etc etc for their programming and mark it up before providing it to the customer, there's very little profit. Profit margins are MUCH higher on phone and internet, because we don't rely on a 3rd party to provide it. We've built our own plug in directly to the internet.
    The only reason my house has anything with Spectrum is because right now no one else offers dsl where I live. The moment some one does Spectrum will be gone. We had Time Warner and became Spectrum customers when they bought out Time Warner. Within the last couple of years our bill went from around $100 a month to like $179 in July. That’s when I told my wife to cut it off. Spectrum hasn’t done anything but raise rates. The higher ups may need to rethink their business model to stay competitive.

Charter spectrum has a Internet TV package where you can pick 20 or so channels. I think our bill is right at 80 bucks with both internet and internet TV. If you provided your own switch and router it would be even less I would assume.

Quote Originally Posted by Remy View Post
    Youtube TV has local channels.
    Yes at twice the cost of the Spectrum Choice option I talked about. However YouTube tv sounds like a great option for when Spectrum ultimately jacks the price up down the road.
    Quote Originally Posted by Birddawg View Post
    I dont know how it was done. For all I know that weird bastard that determined it's gender licked it.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Bart View Post
    So if my bill for internet and basic cable is $140, how much do you reckon my bill will be if I drop the basic cable?
    In Florence, it is around $70 for internet-only plus taxes, fees, etc. What Willy says is true. I had zero luck with retention dept three weeks ago, their only response was "when would you like it disconnected?" I have HULU, NETFLIX, Amazon Prime, and Sling; it cost $1 (promo for one year), $13, included with Prime, and $20 per month respectively. That is $100 month without cable, but does offer 99% of what cable has plus much more. Until 5G, there is no real option to Spectrum for internet in Florence except for a few neighborhoods with AT&T UVerse. MG
    Dum Spiro Spero

AT&T U-verse internet is $50 on a promotion. I call when promo is over, tell them to switch to a slower plan, and I get the promo again.

Antenna TV, and there are still about 30 channels available.

Netflix, Prime and sometimes Hulu (I pause and restart Hulu service occasionally).

So, less than $85/mo for more than I could ever care to watch.

Sent from my S9+ using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jevans View Post
    The only reason my house has anything with Spectrum is because right now no one else offers dsl where I live. The moment some one does Spectrum will be gone. We had Time Warner and became Spectrum customers when they bought out Time Warner. Within the last couple of years our bill went from around $100 a month to like $179 in July. That’s when I told my wife to cut it off. Spectrum hasn’t done anything but raise rates. The higher ups may need to rethink their business model to stay competitive.
    I don't disagree. But as long as year over year growth is on track, the stock prices continue to roll and resi and small business reps like myself across the nation continue to bring in new business at the rate we are, they ain't gonna change too much. Because in their eyes we're doing good as a business so what we're doing is working. Seems to me, it's just how big business is. Just like Chevy building whatever they want cause they know the bowtie cronies will buy it.

We'll tweak product offerings here and there to stay competitive, but we know from a internet speed standpoint, in many instances we got the best product.

Refer to post #9 in this thread. It's always a fight to keep the rates down. In your situation where cellular/satellite is your only other option it's a tough spot to be in, I know. We sign new customers up every day on a promo, both residential and business. Life is good until that promo expires. But at least I tell my customers when it will expire and what the price will go to, so they know it's coming. They're ok with that, because they need it to run their business. Changing providers for most companies is a headache they just don't want to deal with every year or so.

And watch what you ask for. You get another option down the road and it may be 10 times worse than us. Then you'll be screaming about them. I've seen it too many times.
    Last edited by willyworm; 08-12-2019 at 11:01 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."

Quote Originally Posted by welltaut View Post
    Spectrum will try to take you to $70.99 for only home internet (100mb) if you drop TV, Phone, etc.

Raise a little hell and they'll take you down to $49.

Man I hate dealing with these cable companies.
    Which begs the question...why do you need 100mb service?

I just got ATT internet $50/month for 300 MBPS for the first year, then it jumps up to like 79 or something like that but I'll cancel before the price changes. Might have to look into sling or Youtube tv or something for football season if watchespn isnt cutting it.

Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    I have Spectrum for TV and Internet.
    Bill is $140 a month and I don't have the add on stuff like HBO or Showtime, no sports packages, etc
    I have the Roku sticks in all TVs for the extra stuff and Netflix
    Seems high as heck for pretty much basic TV and internet.

Talk to me. What is the best bang for the buck out there?
    I am sure others would like to know also
    I have same $190.00
    Bluetick

I've got 400 MBPS @ $60.99 after taxes with Spectrum. Started out with bundle package but their internet TV sucks. After several complaints they finally let me drop the bundle and keep 400 MBPS (first year special last year). Locked it in at that price for 1 year. Youtube TV user as well.

As to the monopoly statement, that's simply not true. Pretty much everyone has a choice. There's DSL, satellite fed internet and cellular options available. It's not our fault that in many instances we are the best option of all the ones available, but that, by definition, doesn't make us a monopoly.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

My daughter needs decent internet. ATT has lines in front of house but Spectrum has rights. Spectrum has lines the end about 200-300 yds away. They will bring line to her for only $6,000.
    Sucks
    Bluetick

Quote Originally Posted by CUduckreeper View Post
    Right now we have spectrum internet and Sling TV, around $90 total. The only thing I don't like is that we don't get local channels. I'm looking into Spectrum Choice. You get all your local channels plus 10 other channels of your choice for $25. There are no contracts with this tv service but it does say that the price is only good for 2 years so i'll probably have to change it up then. With the amount of network tv we watch this will be plenty. So in theory I could get my TV and internet for around $75 a month.
    If you go this route, after a month complain that you don’t like just having those few channels and you are going to drop. They will do the full basic package through the streaming service plus internet for $90 taxes and fees included.

However, I would give anything to have spectrum out here. Our local cable company sucks, the only saving grace is they just got bought out so hopefully it gets better. I’m paying more than I was with spectrum for worse service and forget customer service.
    For the ducks

Quote Originally Posted by bluetick1955 View Post

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    My daughter needs decent internet. ATT has lines in front of house but Spectrum has rights. Spectrum has lines the end about 200-300 yds away. They will bring line to her for only $6,000.
    Sucks[/QUOTE]

Can't really understand what you're saying here, but I think I get the gist of it.

Keep in mind we are a for-profit company, not a public utility or a co-op that gets gov't money to build out our network, so we have to make calculated decisions on where/how we spend our money. If we spent $6000 to service a couple houses, who typically average $100/month, it'd probably take us 10 years to make the return on our investment. That's not a very good return, which is why we tell the customer we'll build it, but they gotta pay for it. New cable on poles is about $4/foot. Where we can't hang new cable on poles we have to bury it. New underground cable is about $8/foot. Some folks that sign up for service get built, many don't.
    Last edited by willyworm; 08-13-2019 at 09:11 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

UPDATE: This may be helpful but after all of the conversation yesterday I took all of my Spectrum hardware back and canceled everything but my internet. It is $62.99 with taxes in Florence. Then I signed up for YouTube TV for $49.99 plus $4 tax and 14-day free trial. That puts me at ~$110 month.

The kicker is that I now get more useable (Spectrum says 100+ channels but many of those are music and shopping channels and duplicate HD channels) channels and UNLIMITED DVR. Plus, I can watch any of it anywhere in the world and it includes six users and three simultaneous streams. All of my local channels are there plus the subscription gives me shadow rights across other apps like ESPN+, NBCSN app, etc. This means that whether at a second home, vacation spot, or hotel room, you do not pay anything else. They also have original programming plus on-demand movies (I watched the first 30 minutes of Tropic Thunder, damn that is funny) included. Other than having to live with myself giving Alphabet (Google) more of my money and information, it sure looks like a great alternative. Also, its DVR does have the "skip ahead" function for eliminating commercials during viewing.

This will allow me to cancel HULU and Sling as well leaving only Netflix to add to my total bring everything to $129.97 ($62.99+$12.99+$49.99+$4). I watch everything through my AppleTV 4K unit. Spectrum's last bill for basic package plus internet was $179.95, plus Netflix and Sling took my total to $222.94. So I am saving almost $100 a month and none of it is promotional pricing that will expire in a year. I considered antenna etc. but truthfully the prospect of my wife toggling between inputs and sources would have led to more friction that I need. Anyway, hope this helps someone. MG

PS yes I know you backwoods frontier real-men only read books, whittle, and write poetry around the campfire and do not need things such as TV to exist. So this post is not for you and I apologize for interupting your Bohemian lifestyle as you read this on the internets.
    Last edited by Maggie Glover; 08-13-2019 at 08:37 AM.
    Dum Spiro Spero

The kicker is trying to get the SEC network in there.
    This is where Spectrum uses the "package" leverage

I've got all of the SEC, U, ACC, and the rest of the ESPNs on sling, you can look at their options. You can drop it back and forth on a monthly basis.. I pay the extra 5 for the package with the golf channel.