Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cable TV and Internet Bill

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Cable TV and Internet Bill

I have Spectrum for TV and Internet.
    Bill is $140 a month and I don't have the add on stuff like HBO or Showtime, no sports packages, etc
    I have the Roku sticks in all TVs for the extra stuff and Netflix
    Seems high as heck for pretty much basic TV and internet.

Talk to me. What is the best bang for the buck out there?
    I am sure others would like to know also
    Last edited by ecu1984; 08-11-2019 at 08:29 PM.

New customer offer of cable and internet bundle at $89/month with Spectrum. Our bill was the same as yours, so we cut our Spectrum service a couple of weeks ago and are waiting our 30 days to get the new customer offer.

I looked at youtube tv, but it's $50 per month and internet through Spectrum is $49 per month. It wouldn't save us any money, and youtube tv doesn't offer anything compelling above what Spectrum offers channel-wise.

Also going to probably switch over to Spectrum mobile once we get the service back up and running.

someone else told me they ended it and 30 days later the offers started to "come back"
    I am going to call their "retention" department tomorrow and see if they want to save my business

What speed internet are you paying for?

Quote Originally Posted by reeltight View Post
    What speed internet are you paying for?
    I don't even know but its fine, no issues
    5G?
    Last edited by ecu1984; 08-11-2019 at 09:45 PM.

I guess what I’m getting at is if your paying for 50 or even 100 megabyte service but could get away with 10-20

That would be your phone. Home internet speed in megabytes

youtubetv. 45$ per month. you can try it free for a week. live and local channels. sports. record feature. its great

You can't just call and ask for retention. That's not the way it works. In theory, Retention is the last chance to keep you before disconnecting. Their job is to cut you the best deal they can for you to stay. A standard customer service rep CANNOT write a disconnect order. Only a Retention rep can after exhausting all efforts to get you to stay.

What you say is, "I'd like to disconnect my service". The rep will likely ask some probing questions on why, to which I'd advise do not take the bait. You don't owe anyone an answer to that question. But if it makes you feel better tell them you're moving. Once you get thru to Retention you can start opening up on why you really called. Tell them you;re switching to AT&T/CenturyLink, whoever, and they'll start going over the options. Pick the best option for you. You might save $20/month, but keep in mind that promo is only good for another year. You'll basically do this every year until you get to the point where Moonlight is and you disconnect for 30 days, then come back to get the best deal, because we always cut the sweet deals to the new customers, crazy as that sounds.

Did you see my PM ECU?
    Last edited by willyworm; 08-11-2019 at 10:16 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

We dropped Spectrum cable a month ago. Kept the Internet service to run whatever we have now. I can’t tell any difference, but I also hardly watch any tv. With that said everything I have wanted to watch since then I have been able to. We ended up saving around $70 a month. If anyone is interested I’ll ask the wife what she got.

Cut the cable. We don't care. We charge more for internet by itself anyway. There's very little profit on TV services, compared to the other 2 services. By the time we pay ESPN, the Weather Channel, TBS, etc etc for their programming and mark it up before providing it to the customer, there's very little profit. Profit margins are MUCH higher on phone and internet, because we don't rely on a 3rd party to provide it. We've built our own plug in directly to the internet.
    Last edited by willyworm; 08-11-2019 at 11:13 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."

Quote Originally Posted by willyworm View Post
    Cut the cable. We don't care. We charge more for internet by itself anyway. There's very little profit on TV services, compared to the other 2 services. By the time we pay ESPN, the Weather Channel, TBS, etc etc for their programming and mark it up before providing it to the customer, there's very little profit. Profit margins are MUCH higher on phone and internet, because we don't rely on a 3rd party to provide it. We've built our own plug in directly to the internet.
    So if my bill for internet and basic cable is $140, how much do you reckon my bill will be if I drop the basic cable?

Quote Originally Posted by Black Bart View Post
    So if my bill for internet and basic cable is $140, how much do you reckon my bill will be if I drop the basic cable?
    Spectrum will try to take you to $70.99 for only home internet (100mb) if you drop TV, Phone, etc.

Raise a little hell and they'll take you down to $49.

Man I hate dealing with these cable companies.

Quote Originally Posted by welltaut View Post
    Spectrum will try to take you to $70.99 for only home internet (100mb) if you drop TV, Phone, etc.

Raise a little hell and they'll take you down to $49.

Man I hate dealing with these cable companies.
    Which begs the question...why do you need 100mb service?

Quote Originally Posted by Black Bart View Post
    In Florence, it is around $70 for internet-only plus taxes, fees, etc. What Willy says is true. I had zero luck with retention dept three weeks ago, their only response was "when would you like it disconnected?" I have HULU, NETFLIX, Amazon Prime, and Sling; it cost $1 (promo for one year), $13, included with Prime, and $20 per month respectively. That is $100 month without cable, but does offer 99% of what cable has plus much more. Until 5G, there is no real option to Spectrum for internet in Florence except for a few neighborhoods with AT&T UVerse. MG
    Dum Spiro Spero

And this is the same attitude that most every employee has at Spectrum! This is what's wrong with Monopoly Utilities.

Rick- I cut the cable cord, got the same TV Stations without all the Spectrum Sales Channels and their Ads, and went to YouTube TV, with Prime and Netflix. Cut it both houses, Internet and Home Phone is <$80.00/month at each house ILO $200+each, and we've got every channel we want for $45.00/month with YouTube TV and can stream it at the Hunt Club as well. Spectrum and other providers don't care at all right now, but will after about a year of 14,000 a month going away.

Quote Originally Posted by SwampDecoy View Post
    And this is the same attitude that most every employee has at Spectrum! This is what's wrong with Monopoly Utilities.

Rick- I cut the cable cord, got the same TV Stations without all the Spectrum Sales Channels and their Ads, and went to YouTube TV, with Prime and Netflix. Cut it both houses, Internet and Home Phone is <$80.00/month at each house ILO $200+each, and we've got every channel we want for $45.00/month with YouTube TV and can stream it at the Hunt Club as well. Spectrum and other providers don't care at all right now, but will after about a year of 14,000 a month going away.
    If you get the impression I don't care, please don't. I'm just being brutally honest with y'all.

We'll sell you TV if you want, if you don't, it's no biggie since again, TV isn't vital to our continued growth as a company. This is just how the higher ups have shaped our business and us evolving to stay competitive. They've done this without coming right out and saying it like I did, but it's true.

That's why we put so much emphasis on small business customers these days. Cause they typically just use phone and internet, which are our 2 biggest money makers.

There's lots of stuff Spectrum does that I don't agree with but I have a family to feed too. I'm just trying to make a living selling what my customers need. I'm just not that pushy sales guy.

As to the monopoly statement, that's simply not true. Pretty much everyone has a choice. There's DSL, satellite fed internet and cellular options available. It's not our fault that in many instances we are the best option of all the ones available, but that, by definition, doesn't make us a monopoly.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by willyworm; 08-12-2019 at 09:53 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

As to the monopoly statement, that's simply not true. Pretty much everyone has a choice. There's DSL, satellite fed internet and cellular options available. It's not our fault that in many instances we are the best option of all the ones available, but that, by definition, doesn't make us a monopoly.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

My daughter needs decent internet. ATT has lines in front of house but Spectrum has rights. Spectrum has lines the end about 200-300 yds away. They will bring line to her for only $6,000.
    Sucks
    Bluetick

Quote Originally Posted by bluetick1955 View Post

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    My daughter needs decent internet. ATT has lines in front of house but Spectrum has rights. Spectrum has lines the end about 200-300 yds away. They will bring line to her for only $6,000.
    Sucks[/QUOTE]

Can't really understand what you're saying here, but I think I get the gist of it.

Keep in mind we are a for-profit company, not a public utility or a co-op that gets gov't money to build out our network, so we have to make calculated decisions on where/how we spend our money. If we spent $6000 to service a couple houses, who typically average $100/month, it'd probably take us 10 years to make the return on our investment. That's not a very good return, which is why we tell the customer we'll build it, but they gotta pay for it. New cable on poles is about $4/foot. Where we can't hang new cable on poles we have to bury it. New underground cable is about $8/foot. Some folks that sign up for service get built, many don't.
    Last edited by willyworm; 08-13-2019 at 09:11 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The only reason my house has anything with Spectrum is because right now no one else offers dsl where I live. The moment some one does Spectrum will be gone. We had Time Warner and became Spectrum customers when they bought out Time Warner. Within the last couple of years our bill went from around $100 a month to like $179 in July. That’s when I told my wife to cut it off. Spectrum hasn’t done anything but raise rates. The higher ups may need to rethink their business model to stay competitive.