Thread: Shelf life of Glyphosate

Default Shelf life of Glyphosate

We did some bushhogging yesterday and getting ready to start spraying food plots

I buy the 41% glyphosate at Tractor Supply and the gallon jug does most of what I need and then I use it around the house

Guy I hunt with has about a half jug of this that is 2 yrs old, do we just mix it little stronger ??? Going to spray food plots at his house one afternoon this week and hate to waste time spraying and realize it did not work as well . He called me last night and asked if I thought this older stuff would be ok to use . Do not see why not but I have never had it sit around this long

I always mix little stronger than recommended anyway

Use it as labeled. I have had partial jugs for years that j use around the house etc. No problems. Little off color
    you aint did a dawg gon thang until ya STAND UP IN IT!- Theodis Ealey

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    The older I get, the more anal retentive I get.

Quote Originally Posted by fro View Post
    Use it as labeled. I have had partial jugs for years that j use around the house etc. No problems. Little off color

Thanks , guess I never thought about this to be honest.

Years
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

Wouldn't it be better to spray glypho before bush hogging or after if you wait for the plants to re-leaf a bit? You need for the leaves to take it up and if you already mowed there's less leaf area for it to get soaked up.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    Wouldn't it be better to spray glypho before bush hogging or after if you wait for the plants to re-leaf a bit? You need for the leaves to take it up and if you already mowed there's less leaf area for it to get soaked up.
    Yes.....
    You will get far less uptake of product bush hogging first but it makes people feel good.... Waste of product!
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post

Damn if I know, we just go ahead and bushhog it and then spray hell out of it . Been debating this but way we do it seems to work ok. We just spray it and go back couple weeks later and plow and plant

depends on how much you have to bushhog. the glypho has to touch a leaf, right? sometimes the leaves block the spray, no?

we sprayed our rice with 2,4d because it had so much cocklebur and sicklepod. those plants blocked the spray from underneath.

granted, I would bushhog and wait a week in your scenario....or just spray.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

I have a 2 year old bottle that’s almost empty in my shop. I used it a couple of weeks ago, it killed what it touched.

When to spray depends on plant height whether you bushhog first or not. Plain common sense.
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

please elaborate
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by LabLuvR View Post
    When to spray depends on plant height whether you bushhog first or not. Plain common sense.
    Kind of way we look at it

First to admit I am NOT a farmer, just plant food plots every year .

We tried this couple 3-4 yrs ago, borrowed my son in laws sprayer and put in on my atv. Small track I hunt has one large food plot and johnson grass was taking over every year and getting worse

bushhogged it and spray piss out of it and food plot looked best it had in several years so I bought a 26 gal sprayer and we do them every year after we cut