Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best bay boat in the 22 foot range

Default Best bay boat in the 22 foot range

My first fiberglass boat was a nitro bay 1900 with a 115 mercury. It drafted shallow enough for me and could handle all the near shore fishing i was doing at the time. I thought I wanted something different so I ended up getting rid of it and getting a Carolina skiff 198 dlv (current rig). The nitro was a sweet rig but I wanted something newer so I bought this skiff thinking I would like it. I was wrong. I find myself wanting a bigger console, more storage, a leaning post, and I miss the ride the nitro had outside of the jetties (especially After riding in any chop at all). I’ve kind of out grown the 19 foot boats and I’m going to upgrade to a 22 foot boat in the near future.

I’ve been looking at the sea fox viper 220, and the sea pro 218. I’m just curious what you guys have to say about 22 foot bay boats. I want something I can take the reef but ain’t too big to get up in the creek. What are some boats I need to check out?
    A fish bites 2 times a day, right before I get to the water, and as soon as my boat gets back on the trailer.

Pathfinder

In the price range of boats you mentioned, look at sea hunts as well. I have had their 19 bay for about 12 or so years and it’s been a great boat. I really like the pioneer bay sport as well. I think it is a 21 or 22. Probably a little more $$.

I also been looking at the key west bay reef.

Look at a Robalo and Sportsman too. People say they changed but I wouldn’t own a Sea Fox anything then again I don’t do bay boats either.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

The pathfinder is on the list for sure.

Avenger. Same guys who make Pioneer.

Take a look at the Sportsman. Hanckel in Charleston is excellent to work with too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Everglades 223

230br key west or 24 avenger. The layout is on point on these 2 and they ride good for a bayboat. Both will also roll pretty good with a 250sho.

I recently got a Key West 210 Bay Reef and absolutely love it. Have been 15 miles out catching kings to 1.5 feet of water catching spotails. It has a great ride and to me has the most storage for this size/price range bay boat available. Also family friendly.

“The price of freedom is eternal vigilance” - Thomas Jefferson

Sportsman masters 227 is a thumbs up choice

Pathfinder is very well built but not the smoothest riding in chop IMO

If I had the money and was in the market I’d swing for a Shearwater.

Would recommend staying away from sea fox

Quote Originally Posted by Black Bart View Post
    Avenger. Same guys who make Pioneer.
    Forgot about the Avenger.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Quote Originally Posted by Gone South View Post
    Sportsman masters 227 is a thumbs up choice

Pathfinder is very well built but not the smoothest riding in chop IMO

If I had the money and was in the market I’d swing for a Shearwater.

Would recommend staying away from sea fox
    A sea Fox is nothing but a sinkin renken with a new name.

A pathfinder is a fine ride in a chop, it still a bay boat and you got to know how to run a boat. Shearwater is a great boat, but definitely not a better ride than a Pathfinder. Shearwater is a giant surf board with a motor strapped to the back. They will haul ass.
    cut\'em

[ATTACH]48035[/ATTACH
    Pathfinder tournament 22
    Attached Images Attached Images

I had a pathfinder 1900v and then bought dfasano pioneer bay sport 22’ he had listed on here. As far as ride goes there’s no comparison. The pioneer is 100x smoother and just eats the chop up. It would rather go 35+ across the top of everything than slow that’s for sure. It has more storage as well. Granted it’s 3 feet bigger but it is definitely laid out pretty well. The pathfinder was a great boat and it will run through anything and keep going. However it’s not the smoothest or driest rise but that boat is geared for fishing. Not a ton of storage but what is there is strictly aimed at people who fish. Let me know if you have anymore questions.

I've spent some time on a Pioneer 220 bay sport. Rides pretty good and the layout seemed nice, I liked that the deck was recessed compared to many other bay boats. That part would be up to your personal preference.

I haven’t been on many bay boats but I have been on a couple Key West 21 bay reefs and I have been very impressed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Birddawg View Post
    I dont know how it was done. For all I know that weird bastard that determined it's gender licked it.

whatever you buy- get trim tabs on it.