Thread: NZ new wild west for ducks

Default NZ new wild west for ducks

Why New Zealand is the New Wild West of Waterfowl Hunting
    Hunting kiwi ducks is a bucket-list adventure for hunters

By Natalie Krebs
    August 5, 2019

Hunter Ryan Bassham retrieves an adult black swan before rushing back to the blind.Matt McCormick

I swung just past the bird's head, pulled the trigger, and immediately thought, Oh crap.

Not because I had missed, but because the swan I’d just knocked out of the sky was now sailing toward our blind. A mallard dropping onto your head is a hazard. Falling geese have cold-cocked grown men. But an adult black swan plummeting into your lap would be like getting walloped by a runty Labrador. I shielded my head to hollers from the other hunters—half warnings, half whoops—as the 20-pound bird thumped into the muck beside our A-frame.

I checked for more birds before setting down my Benelli and stepping out of the blind. The swan was monochrome except for the red of its beak, eyes, and a little blood: black plumage, white flight feathers, webbed gray feet. I hoisted the bird from just below the head, and its long neck unraveled like a garden hose. Strange as the bird was, it seemed stranger that I could legally shoot four more that day if I wanted.

If you’ve ever wondered what waterfowling was like in the days before strict regulations, you don’t need a time machine. You just have to get to New Zealand. That’s no short order either, because reaching the island nation takes a minimum 15-hour flight at a hefty ticket price. But those who make the trek will find public land, relatively little hunting competition, and 50-duck limits.

Though mallards and Canada geese abound, the species that lure heat-struck hunters south for the summer are the birds they’ve never seen before: grey ducks (a subspecies of the Pacific black duck), Australasian shovelers, and most striking of all, the paradise shelduck. Baiting is legal but wholly unnecessary. Our party of 10 stuck to small spreads and spinners, and most days we hunted from a portable blind that stood out like a VW bus—and the ducks still bombed in.

The hunt was otherworldly, both in scenery and species. Most bizarre of all wasn’t the bucket-list birds, but spending a rainy day half-submerged and mostly frozen in a muddy farm pond, shouldering my shotgun and dropping a spoonie with a splash, right in the middle of July.

https://www.fieldandstream.com/why-n...rfowl-hunting/

He is with the getducks people right? Haven’t heard many good things about them. Cool trip though.

I love killing ducks, never had a penchant for "bucket list birds" tho, just to kill ducks. I was raised to kill ducks so I'll never be a trophy duck hunter. I would have no problem killing them in July tho!
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

If I travelled all the way to NZ, I'd have to hunt more than just ducks. Too far away for just bird hunting, would probably mix in a stag or some other big game.

They have so many turkeys, they shoot them out of trees with rifles...

Savages.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonlight Hunter View Post
    Savages.
    Yes, some probably use those to shoot the turkeys out of the trees.

Quote Originally Posted by swampknob View Post
    He is with the getducks people right? Haven’t heard many good things about them. Cool trip though.
    He hunt with him but he works for Sitka
    80-20 Genaration

Did a little band swap with a guy over there and got an invite so the plan is next June

All their bands are stainless

CC2D6972-638E-4784-B974-A8C467ECFBA5.jpg
    80-20 Genaration

Did you trade your pokemon cards too?

I’m heading to New Zealand in November. Queensland for a week then flying to Auckland for a few days.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    now Hogan can fuck off on here all day and call it work, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post
    Did you trade your pokemon cards too?
    Negative, saving those to trade for a vintage pair of daisy dukes signed by Big E
    80-20 Genaration

Quote Originally Posted by Duckman#1 View Post
    Negative, saving those to trade for a vintage pair of daisy dukes signed by Big E
    Damn Right.
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

NZ is on my short term bucket list. Mountain hunting and some ducks would be pretty fun. It looks absolutely stunning from the pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    They have so many turkeys, they shoot them out of trees with rifles...
    so? I mean, that's legal, right? Ccleroy told me it was OK....
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.