Thread: Rivet nuts

Default Rivet nuts

Will they work on a fiberglass boat? I have used them on aluminum boats and they work great. Was just curious if anyone has ever used them on fiberglass.

I have not and would not. Is it cored fiberglass?

Yes, but...they are only as strong as the material they are attached to. A steel backing plate where possible will increase the load they could support.

Quote Originally Posted by CurLee View Post
    Yes, but...they are only as strong as the material they are attached to. A steel backing plate where possible will increase the load they could support.
    This, I only say because of what was done to my boat before me! After a while it will not look pretty if it doesn’t have a solid backing.

Quote Originally Posted by duckz View Post
    This, I only say because of what was done to my boat before me! After a while it will not look pretty if it doesn’t have a solid backing.
    I am asking because I cannot get a nut on the other side to mount a trolling motor. This is a high tide boat if that helps

Toggle bolts

Quote Originally Posted by stevelo View Post
    I am asking because I cannot get a nut on the other side to mount a trolling motor. This is a high tide boat if that helps
    install an access plate to get to the backside.

Quote Originally Posted by stevelo View Post
    I understand, it may work for a while but what I’ve noticed is that with mine it had continued to move and wear down. Mine were holding led pods on the front and eventually the bolt had rubbed against the fiberglass so much it had opened the hole so much and the bracket had become so wobbly. I ended up removing the lights and finerglassing back the holes.

SouthernWake is right, cut out an access hole and your set. I have a high tide too and just did installed one. Very easy. get a hole saw and any circular twist hatch offline.
    Last edited by duckz; 08-06-2019 at 08:51 PM.