Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Thinking about a rifle change...

My $400 BDL with hand loads will shoot a dime at 100. If you want to change up, then change up. Don't overthink it. Try something different and if you're unsatisfied, sell it and try something different again. Is your ultimate goal match play or putting meat in the freezer?
    Last edited by triplebeard; 08-06-2019 at 09:44 PM.

Take that Model 7 to someone like Jarrett and have them accurize it.

The long range hunting is the fad of the day. All the game I’ve killed over 3-400 was because I wanted to, not because I had to. That said, I would restock the Model 7 you have, the factory ones suck. Play with loads, and if it still doesn’t shoot buy a quality blank and send it to a good smith. You’re not giving up anything with the 7-08. For hunting I’d say the 7-08 is probably a little better because you can shoot heavier bullets, while the 6.5s top out at 140. In my experience it’s a very average killer. It’s not magic, just well marketed. Hornady was brilliant to sell affordable very accurate match ammo with the recipe on the box. Plus since everybody and their brother wants a 6.5 Whatever, you can get a quality 7mm blank without a 6 month wait.
    And before all the bullshitters start, BC don’t matter till you’re out past 400. And it doesn’t matter a lot till well past that.
    Last edited by FLS; 08-07-2019 at 06:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by FLS View Post
    The long range hunting is the fad of the day. All the game I’ve killed over 3-400 was because I wanted to, not because I had to. That said, I would restock the Model 7 you have, the factory ones suck. Play with loads, and if it still doesn’t shoot buy a quality blank and send it to a good smith. You’re not giving up anything with the 7-08. For hunting I’d say the 7-08 is probably a little better because you can shoot heavier bullets, while the 6.5s top out at 140. In my experience it’s a very average killer. It’s not magic, just well marketed. Hornady was brilliant to sell affordable very accurate match ammo with the recipe on the box. Plus since everybody and their brother wants a 6.5 Whatever, you can get a quality 7mm blank without a 6 month wait.
    And before all the bullshitters start, BC don’t matter till you’re out past 400. And it doesn’t matter a lot till well past that.
    A 7-08 with a 150 smk or 162 eld x is a whitetails worse nightmare.

$300 for a blank and $300-$450 for smith work.

It will shoot better than a factory gun.

Also if it makes you feel better, I have a 24” .284 1:9 proof steel blank otw for a 7-08 I am building.

My smith just doesn’t know it yet and he’s gonna bitch about it.

38F8381E-E5BE-4529-906D-0EAA0F6D5617.jpg

Pawn shop ADL 30-06 with a little tuneup. I shot 2ish inches with factory ammo. I put it in an HS stock, dropped in a Trigger Tech Trigger and did a little load work. This isn’t a cherry picked group, It will do this all day if I do my part. It heading west with me in Oct.

I am partial but buy a new tikka in the caliber you want...throw a upgraded stock on it...good set of rings and your optics mentioned earlier and you ll be set for cheap money all things considered.

Woodie, lots of good comments above. Keep one thing in mind, the deer won't give a rat's ass what you kill it with. If it is shooting well, hang on to it. Personally, I think a little longer quality barrel and some trigger work should treat you right.
    It's not enough to simply tolerate the 2nd Amendment as an antiquated inconvenience. Caring for the 2nd Amendment means fighting to restore long lost rights.

Quote Originally Posted by FLS View Post
    I have absolutely no driving interest to move to the 6.5 Creedmoor and I don't have the time or $'s for long range matches as much fun as I'd like to. I had only considered it in that Mauser since it was the closest round to the 7-08.

The 7mm-08 is the perfect caliber, in my opinion, for SC deer, and most big game at 500 yds and under in the US... with the right bullet, of course. I shoot the 140 grain Winchester Ballistic Silvertips with great success. I've only had to look for one deer farther than 12 yds away from the location I shot him/her, and that one was easily found about 50 yds away. The longest kill shot thus far has only been around 200 yds, but the deer have been changing their pattern to cross my shooting field out at 300-500 yds these past three years, and I'm restricted by the landowner such that I can't move that tripod stand any closer from where it is. Thus, my effort to make sure I can take advantage of any opportunity I might want to at the longer range. I'll still try to keep my shots under 300, just out of habit and principle, but who knows. I've passed up a few real nice bucks at that longer range due to not being confident my gun was capable to do it right.

Hopefully this Timney trigger, and 'maybe' a new stock, will give me what I'm looking for. We'll see.

Given that, what's the best, value-minded stock to consider for this Rem Model 7, 20" stainless barrel?

Quote Originally Posted by b-stick View Post
    A 7-08 with a 150 smk or 162 eld x is a whitetails worse nightmare.

$300 for a blank and $300-$450 for smith work.

It will shoot better than a factory gun.
    Sounds great, but add another $300+ for a good stock and now I might as well just buy a new Sako. And since I don't have that kind of play money sitting around right now I'm going to have to work with what I've got... or sell it and buy a different factory stock gun that will shoot sub-MOA with these factory loads. I've done it before and I know they're out there without a new mortgage.

I guess I could sell my 30-06 along with the 7mm-08 and put it all into a nicer, new 7mm-08, but we'll see.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

B&C and HS Precision both make Model 7 stocks. I believe you’ll see some improvement. The factory plastic stocks are pretty flimsy.

If you're going to shoot at deer at 500 yards, you need to practice at 500 yards. Shooting 1MOA at 100 yards doesn't mean you can do it at 500.

A good bedding job will help also.

There’s a lot that can be done to help it without spending a ton of money.

Trigger, bedding the stock, and proper load dev. How does the crown look? That could be part of your problem.

Tikka/Sako = best production action on the
    This is based on physically measured action components and tolerance stack ups. Love it or hate it, it’s the truth.
    There is zero bias involved because my personal collection is all 700 or 700 clones solely for availability of aftermarket parts
    Seeing these soulless vanilla ice lookin Yankees on a bassboat is worse than watching a woman get her implants taken out. It's just wrong. Get back in your Lund and go back to infisherman.

20 years ago you’d be hard pressed to find anyone hunting with a caliber outside of 30-06, .270, and .243.

Maybe the occasional .308 if they were fancy.

Quote Originally Posted by billyjack View Post
    20 years ago you’d be hard pressed to find anyone hunting with a caliber outside of 30-06, .270, and .243.

this and a .30-.30 were all I knew existed until was grown

Quote Originally Posted by billyjack View Post

They still make up the majority of sales. Add in the 7 and 300 mag and they outnumber the rest combined.

Someone say 300mag?? Woot woot.

I just about hunted the entire season last year with a .300wm Finnlight. Changed the optic the other day and got to zero it back in. Seems I hunt with that, a .308 or 7mm08 95% of the time.

That 200grn ELD-X load that .300 likes is nasty.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    If you're going to shoot at deer at 500 yards, you need to practice at 500 yards. Shooting 1MOA at 100 yards doesn't mean you can do it at 500.
    Yes, I am well aware of that, and between a lack of practice and not being confident in my rifle past 300 yds is why I’ve passed on some nice bucks over the years. Unlike some, I don’t believe in ‘Hail Mary’ shots. Thanks for the cautionary reminder.

Quote Originally Posted by b-stick View Post
    A good bedding job will help also.

There’s a lot that can be done to help it without spending a ton of money.

Trigger, bedding the stock, and proper load dev. How does the crown look? That could be part of your problem.
    I’ve read numerous forum comments (not here) over the years that indicate that the Model 7 is a rifle that is about 50/50 on bedding improvements, and some showed negative effects. I don’t know why that would be, but it’s why I haven’t messed with it thus far.

I also don’t have the time or equipment to do my own load development, so I have to accept the best I can get from factory loads.

The trigger is an easy change, so we’ll see what that does.

While I’m at that, what are the proper torque values for the action screws for the M7? Anyone know offhand? I tightened them by feel the last time I worked on the trigger so I have no idea where they’re at right now, but at least this time I have a torture wrench to do it right.
    Last edited by WoodieSC; 08-07-2019 at 08:36 PM.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'