Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 45-70 demo vid

Default 45-70 demo vid

Thought this was kind of neat.
    Last edited by CAJUN LAB; 08-27-2019 at 01:10 PM.

Hard to beat big hard cast bullets and 45/70’s make u smile
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

Quote Originally Posted by Phone Man View Post
    Hard to beat big hard cast bullets and 45/70’s make u smile
    My first thought was how long before you replied.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog235 View Post
    I mean i do have 4 45/70’s
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.

I have one. I want to hang a scope on it. It has a rail. I don’t intend to shoot anything heavier than 250gr Hornady’s out of it. Make me a recommendation on a scope that can deal with the recoil. I won’t be taking it anywhere where I’ll have more than a 100yd shot. Also don’t want a fixed 4x scope.

Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

Quote Originally Posted by Chap View Post
    I have one. I want to hang a scope on it. It has a rail. I don’t intend to shoot anything heavier than 250gr Hornady’s out of it. Make me a recommendation on a scope that can deal with the recoil. I won’t be taking it anywhere where I’ll have more than a 100yd shot. Also don’t want a fixed 4x scope.
    I have a 1.5-5 vx3 on my guide gun

400gr + load?

Quote Originally Posted by Phone Man View Post
    I have a 1.5-5 vx3 on my guide gun
    Those get great reviews. Did you buy any particular rings other than standard Leupold? Thanks!

I put warne one piece base and leupold QRW rings. They hold zero perfect if i want to take it off and shoot irons

Quote Originally Posted by Chap View Post
    400gr + load?
    I shoot 405 hard cast over 38gr of imr 3031. Its a mid range trapdoor level but my marlin will put them in same hole at 100. Ive used the load out to 300 in my sharps and it still would go slam through a deer.

Pic
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have a couple boxes of the LeverEvolution in 250gr that I will be shooting, but it’s great to hear you can shoot such a heavy load with that kind of accuracy! Thanks for the info on your scope/rings set up. I’ll keep you up to speed with how this all comes together.

I want a 45/70 now
    When in doubt, shoot him again!

Work like it's all up to me, but pray, like it's all up to him!

Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog235 View Post
    His middle name is Quigley
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

B8460D3E-5436-4E5F-A69C-B1BDBAEFD412.jpg

I’ve got a Marlin guide gun with a fixed 4X Leupold with a heavy duplex. I shoot 300 grain Speers over 60 grains of H4895.
    It put the smack down on a Iowa buck last year. Shot him quartering away about 125 yards, he ran 25 yards to the top of a little mound and slid to the bottom. The great thing about a 45-70 is the bullet isn’t going very fast and it doesn’t bloodshot the meat where you hit. Bullets just plow on through. Never shot any of the stuff in the video.
    Last edited by FLS; 08-28-2019 at 06:24 AM.

I carried the Buffalo Bore 500gr when I was in Alaska and got to see first hand its effect on a brown bear. I had a young boar charge me whole salmon fishing. My buddy opened fire at about 10yds and shot it six times with the LeverEvolution 250gr he had in his 1895GS. The bear went down but he had to borrow a round of Buffalo Bore from me to finish it off. The movement of that bear upon impact was awesome!!

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.ph...t_detail&p=154
    Living in Moncks Corner but looking forward to moving back to the West Coast in 2020 where there are more ducks and less duck hunters!! LOL

I bet that was a bureaucratic nightmare.
    Carolina Counsel

I have some 535 gr cast bullets for my sharps. Hadnt had a chance to load any up yet though

Used to handload for my Ruger No 1 45/70 but started using the Hornady’s and have had great results with them. However impressed by this test.

My try some of the others.