Thread: The Dove Saga

Default The Dove Saga

Last Thurs & Fri. we mulched the corn and burned the Prozo and wheat(After I put the Roundup to it last week). Wheat and Prozo were dry But I had to kill the few standing grasses and weeds. This evening there was probably 200 to 250 doves in the field. I watched them from the porch and they were still in the field at 8pm. Going to bush hog a few rows of corn and SF next week. Probably won't burn Brown Top till second season. Shown burnt Prozo/wheat and mulched corn. The doves are really hitting the burned areas. Also my unfinished "dove tree". Made from a pole saw extenion pole
    The deer don't both my SF's once they head out. But I'll have spray around my corn patches weekly with a side boom to keep the deer out. If I don't they'll eat every cob on every stalk
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Model12; 08-13-2019 at 12:11 AM.

Looking good. What county?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Looks good. What do you plant for the third season? I'm interested in the Dec./Jan. season but can find little about something you can plant for them to eat at that time.

Quote Originally Posted by willyworm View Post
    Looking good. What county?
    Barnwell.

Quote Originally Posted by Bownut View Post
    Looks good. What do you plant for the third season? I'm interested in the Dec./Jan. season but can find little about something you can plant for them to eat at that time.
    There is nothing you can plant that will Be ready for third season. ALL your planting has to be done in the spring so it will be mature for the fall.......Then you have to "ration" it out. Oct 1 I will put wheat(top sow) out on part of the field. Then Qct 31 I'll top sow the rest of the clear areas. In the mean time I can mulch additional corn anytime I want to.
    There's a helluva lot of work having and mantaining a dove field. Not to mention the $$$$$$$$.
    Last edited by Model12; 08-13-2019 at 08:44 AM.

I probably need to personally come and inspect that field to give it a thumbs up or not. LMAO!
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Model12 View Post
    There is nothing you can plant that will Be ready for third season. ALL your planting has to be done in the spring so it will be mature for the fall.......Then you have to "ration" it out. Oct 1 I will put wheat(top sow) out on part of the field. Then Qct 31 I'll top sow the rest of the clear areas. In the mean time I can mulch additional corn anytime I want to.
    There's a helluva lot of work having and mantaining a dove field. Not to mention the $$$$$$$$.
    Yeah, I understand it's too late now but earlier in the year I was trying to find something to plant just for the last season that wasn't corn. We had an awesome field a few years ago that was planted in sorghum. The farmer couldn't get to it and we got to hunt it. Nobody thought the seed would really last until then to shoot it (if I had planted a field of sorghum).

Found this seed blend and want to give it a try next year. http://kestersnursery.com/gamebird_mix.htm

I don't understand why people "cut" sunflowers. Leave them alone and they will last all three seasons.

The only reason you should cut them is for rows to walk down. Corn is for winter seasons..

Deer really like pretty headed out sorghum.