Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ribbonfish

Default Ribbonfish

People eat those things? I saw some pictures from some of the NC boats with a pile of em on the dock for their charter folks.

King mackerel bait.
    DILLIGAF

My neighbor mother in law loves them but she is Asian. They go to the coast and fish for them

https://coastobx.com/outdoors/fishin...f5ac1a745.html

Cutlassfish aka Ribbonfish
    By Brian Horsley Contributing writer Jul 23, 2015 0
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Email
    Print
    Save
    Nearshore anglers have been catching ribbonfish.
    Nearshore anglers have been catching ribbonfish.

BrianHorsley
    Anglers fishing outside Oregon Inlet have been catching a nontraditional gamefish called ribbonfish. These fish are voracious eaters and will take most cut bait fished just under the surface. There is no question how they got their name. They are long and flat, the body tapers down to a point and they have chrome-like skin. Besides the unusual shape, they have an impressive set of teeth that are barbed and very sharp and will bite you.

Also known as cutlassfish, they are members of the Trichiuridae, a family of nearly 20 species. They are swift swimmers that generally dwell on the bottom but at times during the day will come to the surface to feed. Used as bait for larger gamefish in the United States, cutlassfish are a valued food and a commercial species in many other countries, especially Japan, where they may be used for sashimi. They are also marketed salted/dried and frozen.

Traditionally they are used for king mackerel bait. But the past few winters commercial fisherman have been catching them and selling them at market. Some of the local commercial fishermen tried eating the ribbonfish and were surprised at the high quality of the flesh. It is white and mild and tasty and lends itself to many cooking methods.
    DILLIGAF

I know people use them as king baits but damn if that aint a pile of bait! Thought I must be missing something as to why in the world people would want to keep that many of them things.

67783135_1241931829301609_7083155782757253120_n.jpg

I used to sell them on the docks to charters. Never thought about eating.

Been getting some pics before anyone else of some PILES of ribbons. Gonna get interesting.

How do you catch them? Will they bite a fly? I've only seen one boated and that was fishing with my dad many years ago. He caught it on a live shrimp under a slip float fishing for trout.

Kinda like a shark, it makes a good Facebook post. You think most of their friends know a cutlassfish from a kingfish, they both silver?
    Low country redneck who moved north

Yeah, but posing with the things... That's like pouring gas over an ant mound and lining the little bastards up like you accomplished something phenomenal.

40+/- fish with a cold beer could be a fun afternoon. I wonder if you could get a grouper to eat them.

That's funny, HS.

At certain times of the year, you can catch em off the pier with a piece of cut bait under a cork.

I've caught bunches of them with a cast net in the fall.

Surely a 10-12inch live one would be very tempting to a big gag.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

If he brined them, wrapped em in Saran wrap, froze them, he can get 5.00 a piece all day long. Extra 300.00 sitting on that dock, heck Asians may pay more.
    Low country redneck who moved north

We use to pull up beside shrimp boats and buy a few for trolling.
    They can get hard to find around a tourney and people freeze them for such occassions

Years ago, I watched Asian folks fishing for them at night off the Surfside pier. They were using small minnows under a very small Cyalume stick. Like, the match size sticks... Fished lead-line style near the surface.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

Y'all are all full of shit. Fake news here
    you aint did a dawg gon thang until ya STAND UP IN IT!- Theodis Ealey

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    The older I get, the more anal retentive I get.

All of the Spanish mackerel left Oregon Inlet area last week on the blow. Ribbonfish are all that’s biting for the charter guys fishing near shore and most folks catching them have no clue what they are. My children caught a boatload of them but threw most back.

Tarpon love to eat them
    “The price of freedom is eternal vigilance” - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Swamp Rat View Post
    Years ago, I watched Asian folks fishing for them at night off the Surfside pier. They were using small minnows under a very small Cyalume stick. Like, the match size sticks... Fished lead-line style near the surface.
    My mom rented the entire family a house a few years ago in late aug early sept. We went to the same pier and I caught a few. Getting ready to throw them back and the Asians beside me about flipped their lids when I was getting ready too.
    Quote Originally Posted by squatty View Post
    R. Not
    So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live in him, rooted and built up in him, strengthened in the faith as you were taught, and overflowing with thankfulness. —Colossians 2:6–7