Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Human Capital

Interesting note as to slavery in America. We became a country governed by our own laws via the Declaration of independence and the revolutionary war in 1776.
    Slavery was abolished in 1865.
    We as a country, in less than 100 years in existence did away with slavery. I find this remarkable and I'm not aware of any other country in the world that has done the same in such a short time.
    And here we are now, 155 years later still arguing how ugly we are as Americans and our slave history. Some folks need to let it go....

Quote Originally Posted by Moonlight Hunter View Post
    So leave those dollars with the tax payers when you don’t need them, Comrade. Instead of dumping them in a general fund.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can NOT put in General fund. We just have fingers crossed it will replace at least one school Like it or not schools have a “shelf life” and have to be replaced. If this sales tax keeps going, personally I do not think the economy will be this strong for 15 straight years , it would easily build a new school and have A5 Debt free.

To me this IS putting money back in the pockets of taxpayers

Trust I am more financially frugal than most anyone but this is an investment in the community for generations. When industry comes looking the FIRST 2 things that want to know about is qualified labor force and how good are your schools.

Look at some of the underperforming school districts in the state of SC and you will see NO INDUSTRY there or even looking to locate there.

Just giving the facts is all, we can debate all day but not sure how many school board meetings you have been to or reviewed the finances. It will open your eyes

When I was elected I had exact same thoughts as some of you, I looked at a $100million + budget and thought “damn I can fix anything with this kind of money”. Did not take long to realize what type of shape our public schools are in.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonlight Hunter View Post
    Penny Tax. Insane. Let's check in on Richland County and see how their penny tax is coming along.

Still all comes back to leadership and vision for students. yes I am fully aware of some areas pennytax, why I like ours. Even I go off board of trustees anyone else’s hands are tied at HOW it can be used. To me this is the key to it

Some districts get it approved and do not use it wisely, that I can agree with . They depend on it for General operation expenses which is to me not what it should be approved for

Hey and I completely understand folks thoughts.
    Last edited by tprice; 08-14-2019 at 06:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Relentlous View Post
    I’m not gonna lie. I’m not book smart. I can do math that matters, and a lot of times some of y’all use words I don’t have a clue what they mean. As for work, I’m a hands on learner. You can try to tell me what to do and I’ll be like yea, but haven’t a clue what you said. Show me, and I got the M-fer.

This is VERY COMMON and WHY we needed a new career center, so many folks (me included ) can learn by hands on MUCH better than reading and instruction

SC is WAY behind the state of GA in education, over there you can actually get your HS diploma in different areas including technical trades. SC needs to UPDATE the public education system but I am not holding my breath
    Last edited by tprice; 08-14-2019 at 06:47 AM.