Thread: Butt Recipe

Default Butt Recipe

Novice slow cooker here. Give your tips and tricks

Low and slow. 225 till it hits 195. I like a little sweet on the bark. Usually a culmination of brown sugar, salt, pepper, garlic salt, onion powder, dry mustard, cumin and whatever else I have in the cabinet. Get a good bark and some smoke on it then wrap it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Default Butt Recipe

There are plenty of previous threads on this on SC ducks and other sites and peoples technique will vary. It is not that difficult just don’t rush it. I always have to tell my wife it will be ready when it is ready vs giving a firm time.
    The heavier the piece of meat and the lower the temp will take longer to cook. I use indirect heat coal/smoke from 250-285 and cook until 190 internal fat side down, and I trim the far prior to cook. They say it can be 60-90 min/lb but that is dependent on heat,size, and grill. Let the internal temp be your guide.
    Some use drip pans with nothing, water, coke, or whatever else they come up with. Coat meat in mustard and use whatever rub you prefer and coat well prior to placing on grill. That will give you a good bark but I am not sure it does anything for flavor at the end but have never tried cooking without that step.
    Once I hit 190-200 I wrap in foil and place in a cooler(without ice) for an hour or even a little more under a lightly dampened rag. Another preference thing the point of pulling out of cooler... do you serve as is after it is picked and let people pick plain vs what kind of sauce or do you pick? Often I will pick it, make 2-3 trays of different sauce and will cover in the trays and let the sauce cook in for 15 min or so in my oven but mostly just to keep it all warm. You could heat sauce prior.
    I also have started smoking mac n cheese almost everytime because the temp is right on the grill and you have plenty of time to kill while meat is cooking for prep, and then cook the mac while the meat is resting.
    Be prepared for varying opinions of the same basic idea.
    Good luck, have fun, dont sweat it. Keep your grill in line and dont rush it.
    Edit: I have also heard and read that after 90 min or so your bark has formed to the point that the cut will no longer benefit from smoke. I have a few friends who start on smoker and then pull it and place in over for sale of being easy but I have always just let mine ride on the grill.

Last edited by Islandguy85; 08-01-2019 at 05:21 PM.

don't overthink it.....225-275, it don't matter, until 190 or few higher.....a butt if pretty forgiving.....it'll likely stall at a 160-170 temp so pull and wrap in butchers paper or hd foil....once at 190, put it in a cooler for an hour or so before serving

part of the fun is learning the nuances of your smoker

Don't use a trager get a man's smoker. Wood and or charcoal.
    "I'm just a victim of a circumstance"

Quote Originally Posted by coot nasty View Post
    Don't use a trager get a man's smoker. Wood and or charcoal.
    A Traeger is wood pellets bro. It's a millennials dream grill.
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

Salt, pepper, paprika, 275, if it’s getting to dark or dry then either wrap or spritz, probe tender. That easy!

Hard to mess up a butt unless you UNDERcook it. Real hardwood
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Cook at 250ish....Fat up or down (I don't think it matters)...When the internal temp gets to 160 wrap in foil and cook till 195ish....Take off...Wrap in a towel and throw it in a cooler for at least an hour.

This is how I roll. It's not rocket science, it's actually really easy.....

Butts:
    Rub, let sweat (approx 45min)
    Cook 230*-250*
    Approx 6hrs check temp, rap @ 175*-180* (Double rap)
    Check approx 1.5hrs, off smoker @ 195*-200* (max 208*)
    Last edited by Tha Dick; 08-02-2019 at 08:17 AM.

If you want to make your own rub:

This makes about a cup of rub. You need to scale it X 10 to have enough to do 15 butts.

2 TBSP brown sugar
    2 TBSP chili powder
    2 TBSP paprika
    2 TBSP salt
    1 TBSP garlic powder
    1 TBSP onion powder
    1 TBSP black pepper
    1 tsp cayenne
    2 tsp dry mustard
    2 tsp ground cumin
    Last edited by Tha Dick; 08-02-2019 at 08:17 AM.

I rub mine down with Frenches mustard first, it helps the rub stick to the meat.

I use Butt Rub or Meat Church usually. I haven't the time nor the patience to invent something that they already sell.

If i have time, i will rub it in the morning and let it sit in the fridge until evening when I put it on the grill. I always cook overnight.

I put about a half jug of cheap apple juice in the drip pan to keep moisture in the cooker. I have used apple juice, cranberry juice and beer over the years. Cranberry juice made it look like a lava rock and i have never seen a redder smoke ring.

I also put either apple or cherry wood chunks in with the lump for flavor. Sometimes soak it in the drip pan first sometimes i just throw it in.

Set the BGE for indirect heat at 225-250 and let it cook. I usually put them on around 10pm.

Depending on how many butts and how big they are determine how long, Usually between 7-9 hours.

When internal temp hits 190 (usually around 7-8am) I take off and put in a tinfoil pan, cover with foil and put in cooler until im ready to pull it. That usually lines up perfectly for lunch.

I pull by hand to separate any non rendered fat, gristle or any other undesirables out of the meat. I don't care for chopped. That's lazy.

As stated above, the only real way to mess up a butt is to cook too fast and blow through the fat rendering plateau. It needs to sit at 165-175 for a few hours until the fat renders out.

Also putting anything other than vinegar based bar b que sauce on it will ruin it too.

Enjoy
    A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.

Theodore Roosevelt; 26th president of US (1858 - 1919)

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” Sigmund Freud

Quote Originally Posted by Islandguy85 View Post
    There are plenty of previous threads on this on SC ducks and other sites and peoples technique will vary. It is not that difficult just don’t rush it. I always have to tell my wife it will be ready when it is ready vs giving a firm time.
    The heavier the piece of meat and the lower the temp will take longer to cook. I use indirect heat coal/smoke from 250-285 and cook until 190 internal fat side down, and I trim the far prior to cook. They say it can be 60-90 min/lb but that is dependent on heat,size, and grill. Let the internal temp be your guide.
    Some use drip pans with nothing, water, coke, or whatever else they come up with. Coat meat in mustard and use whatever rub you prefer and coat well prior to placing on grill. That will give you a good bark but I am not sure it does anything for flavor at the end but have never tried cooking without that step.
    Once I hit 190-200 I wrap in foil and place in a cooler(without ice) for an hour or even a little more under a lightly dampened rag. Another preference thing the point of pulling out of cooler... do you serve as is after it is picked and let people pick plain vs what kind of sauce or do you pick? Often I will pick it, make 2-3 trays of different sauce and will cover in the trays and let the sauce cook in for 15 min or so in my oven but mostly just to keep it all warm. You could heat sauce prior.
    I also have started smoking mac n cheese almost everytime because the temp is right on the grill and you have plenty of time to kill while meat is cooking for prep, and then cook the mac while the meat is resting.
    Be prepared for varying opinions of the same basic idea.
    Good luck, have fun, dont sweat it. Keep your grill in line and dont rush it.
    Edit: I have also heard and read that after 90 min or so your bark has formed to the point that the cut will no longer benefit from smoke. I have a few friends who start on smoker and then pull it and place in over for sale of being easy but I have always just let mine ride on the grill.

if you were the one I got this recipe from then you should be awarded appropriately
    https://www.mrfood.com/Pastas/Four-C...d-Mac-n-Cheese

It is always gone before the meat even cools!!

Never cooked one.
    Quote Originally Posted by walt4dun View Post
    Monsters... Be damned if I'd ever be taken alive by the likes of faggot musslims.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I am an equal opportunity hater.

Quote Originally Posted by willk View Post
    Never cooked one.
    Are you coming to eat and talk to Pal, or what?
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

Quote Originally Posted by cajunwannabe View Post
    A Traeger is wood pellets bro. It's a millennials dream grill.
    You know what I mean.. One that doesn't run off a timer or cell phone.
    "I'm just a victim of a circumstance"

Default Butt Recipe

Quote Originally Posted by BlackTom View Post
    if you were the one I got this recipe from then you should be awarded appropriately
    https://www.mrfood.com/Pastas/Four-C...d-Mac-n-Cheese

It is always gone before the meat even cools!!
    Gotta start doubling the recipe and make two trays .

I am not chef but can follow directions and just thought that sounded good when I was searching recipes. Anyone who has had it once keeps asking me to make it again!
    Edit: someone on the site said I should try it with hoop cheese and I have yet to do it. The mac definitely picks up the smoke from the grill.

Last edited by Islandguy85; 08-02-2019 at 05:33 PM.