Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: When to spray your sunflowers.

I hate pigweed because I wanna wear shorts on opening day

Yea screw all that I’ll just do a little bush hogging and plowing game on
    80-20 Genaration

Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post
    I hate pigweed because I wanna wear shorts on opening day
    A couple of years ago my cousin and I sat on the center pole in our field for the first time in the opening season. I rarely ever wear shorts.. I did that day. It was awful

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    We do also.. well the same thing as Southernduck, as pertaining to the residual.. I have not pulled, hoed, backpack sprayed or anything this year.

Clean Fields look pretty, they're perfect if you're hunting with silly people, but doves dont care. I'll argue that doves dont care about pigweed. No pigweed near the corn, but they like clean disced near them during late season hunts.
    I tend to disagree, and my argument is purely observational, no science. I am 62 yo and have shot doves my entire life. Based only on what I have seen i think doves prefer a clean field.

I'm 42, and I've shot birds for most if them all over, like a lot. I've watched fields taken over by pigweed and birds keep coming. Doves eat pigweed. It's nasty, itchy, looks like hell, and will grow over and rot flowers.. but doves dont care. Now I think if you're weeded all through, with Bermuda and so on, it might hamper them. Having plowed strips near will help, but I'm not worried about pigweed through the flowers hurting the amount of doves we have.