Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Using a chipper to scatter seed?

Default Using a chipper to scatter seed?

Is it still legal to use a wood chipper to scatter sunflower seeds onto a plowed strip in a field? If so anyone have success with this?

Quote Originally Posted by roltide View Post
    Is it still legal to use a wood chipper to scatter sunflower seeds onto a plowed strip in a field? If so anyone have success with this?
    Legal as long as its from the same field and not placed in any container, has to go straight to the chipper.
    Last edited by buckpro; 07-30-2019 at 07:22 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I'll shoot over a kids head in a blind or long gun one on a turkey in a heart beat. You want to kill stuff around me you gonna earn it.

Are the said sunflowers grown on the field?
    you aint did a dawg gon thang until ya STAND UP IN IT!- Theodis Ealey

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    The older I get, the more anal retentive I get.

I've done it with cob corn and it makes grits. I wanted it a bit more coarsely ground. The birds found it and liked it but it doesn't last as long as whole kernel.

One of my buddies is in a dove club that has hardware cloth tables in the field on which they throw the sunflower heads if they fall down. The seeds fall out naturally and the birds feed under the tables.

Roll tigers.

*Roll

I remember once when I was a kid, we took the dove field corn stalks and fed them into the bush hog blade nut access hole it would spread the corn pretty good.

I use a chipper along side my corn. On clean, harrowed and raked soil. I don't (grind) sunflowers they fall on the ground on their own.

Quote Originally Posted by Model12 View Post
    I use a chipper along side my corn. On clean, harrowed and raked soil. I don't (grind) sunflowers they fall on the ground on their own.
    How do you pull it and chip it on clean harrowed and raked soil if it's still standing when you pull it?

Quote Originally Posted by Bownut View Post
    How do you pull it and chip it on clean harrowed and raked soil if it's still standing when you pull it?
    The chipper sit on the tailgate of the truck. We pick the ears and feed them into the chipper as the truck moves alongside the corn. In my fieldd, 12 acres. I plant corn/sunflowers/prozo and brown top millet. I leave 20 feet wide strips between each planting that I keep clean by harrowing. I rake it smooth by the corn to allow the corn from the chipper to lay on smooth dirt. Also 10-1 I broadcast wheat on these strips. The standing corn stalks makes a good hiding area to hide when shooting.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Model12; 07-31-2019 at 10:01 PM.

welcome to the site
    shocked no one was Model 12 before you....
    and I agree with your assessment above.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

The chipper sit on the tailgate of the truck. We pick the ears and feed them into the chipper as the truck moves alongside the corn. In my fieldd, 12 acres. I plant corn/sunflowers/prozo and brown top millet. I leave 20 feet wide strips between each planting that I keep clean by harrowing. I rake it smooth by the corn to allow the corn from the chipper to lay on smooth dirt. Also 10-1 I broadcast wheat on these strips. The standing corn stalks makes a good hiding area to hide when shooting.
    10-4, I was trying to picture how this was done in a corn field (not laid out in strips and such). I was going to wish you best of luck in the upcoming season, but a field like that is not luck, it's a lot of work. Looks good.

Welcome, consider me your first friend here.

When are we shooting, buddy?
    Member of the Tenth Legion Since 2004

More radom pics. I have 6 members that pay the $$$$. I furnish land and labor. This field is in front of my house........Monitor from the porch.
    Attached Images Attached Images

More radom pics. I have 6 members that pay the $$$$. I furnish land and labor. This field is in front of my house........Monitor from the porch.
    Very nice!

Is chipping seed a bonafide agricultural practice?

I've typically just disced up next to each strip we plan on cutting, two to three a week during the late seasons.. Then drop the bushhog as low as I can get it without kicking up dirt and creep over the corn.

Quote Originally Posted by Gregory View Post
    Is chipping seed a bonafide agricultural practice?
    No and doesn’t have to be. Does bush hogging corn beside plowed strips appear to be normal ag practice?
    I had an ant farm once......them fellas didn't grow shit.

So snapping corn into a grain wagon that never leaves the field, then getting it out the wagon and blowing it out with the chipper can’t be done?

Quote Originally Posted by SCHUNTINFANATIC View Post
    So snapping corn into a grain wagon that never leaves the field, then getting it out the wagon and blowing it out with the chipper can’t be done?
    Yep
    80-20 Genaration