Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Using a chipper to scatter seed?

Quote Originally Posted by NUTZ View Post
    No and doesn’t have to be. Does bush hogging corn beside plowed strips appear to be normal ag practice?
    Just asking. I sure wouldn't want to defend that in court.

Quote Originally Posted by SCHUNTINFANATIC View Post
    So snapping corn into a grain wagon that never leaves the field, then getting it out the wagon and blowing it out with the chipper can’t be done?
    Pull it off the stalk and throw it into chipper.

You can LEGALLY manipulate a crop in any way shape or form as long as the crop stays in the field per DNR. You can top sow wheat on a plowed/harrowed/ raked field as long as it constitutes a good seed bed. I'll top sow wheat 10-1 and again 10-31 in a different area. You can also burn crops as I will my prozo next Saturday.
    One problem I'm having is the pines next to my field are full of corn shucks. The squirrels are having a field day! As for the deer I put chipped soap and hair mix in the corn. Also I spray it with fabric softener with a side boom. If not the deer will eat it up at night..........Everything that breathes.....Eats corn.

Quote Originally Posted by Model12 View Post
    You can LEGALLY manipulate a crop in any way shape or form as long as the crop stays in the field per DNR.
    What if the corn stays in the field but in a gravity wagon?

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    What if the corn stays in the field but in a gravity wagon?
    Gray area. Would call Columbia DNR.....Game wardens sometimes have different opinions of the law. Personally I'd say no as the product has been removed form the stalk and stored in a container in the field but away from where it was grown.

You cannot STORE the crop to be distributed at a later date.
    You can break the corn and run it through the chipper but it cannot go into a container (even on site).....FYI
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

So how bout running it through a picker/sheller and dumping it straight on the ground?

Quote Originally Posted by CurLee View Post
    So how bout running it through a picker/sheller and dumping it straight on the ground?
    I have a one row picker. It will shuck but not shell it......You cold dump it in the ground directly from the picker(whole ears)........The deer would love it....Now If you could get someone to combine it. They could open the screens and run it all shelled out on the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by Model12 View Post
    I have a one row picker. It will shuck but not shell it......You cold dump it in the ground directly from the picker(whole ears)........The deer would love it....Now If you could get someone to combine it. They could open the screens and run it all shelled out on the ground.
    You need to figure a way for your picker to dump right into the chipper.

Just go get you a silage chopper and be done with it. Several in the Florence area for sale right now.

Quote Originally Posted by bucknfloat2 View Post
    Just go get you a silage chopper and be done with it. Several in the Florence area for sale right now.
    Where? Links, ads, etc....?

Quote Originally Posted by head hunter View Post
    Where? Links, ads, etc....?
    I see a few on craigslist if I search for "silage". The cheapest I saw was $3300.

Quote Originally Posted by bucknfloat2 View Post
    Ding Ding....

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    I see a few on craigslist if I search for "silage". The cheapest I saw was $3300.
    Pioneer in Orangeburg may know where a few old ones are. I have luck getting replacement parts of mine there in the past. If you do get one, go ahead and buy a service manual. LOTS of moving parts.

Go to Craigslist, click Columbia, click Farm and Garden, open the search to all nearby areas. Quite a few are in there from projects to field ready. Its like going from a merry tiller to a 3pt tractor rotary tiller when comparing to all the other methods that have been discussed.

I'm sure it's the easiest way to bust up standing corn but when I try to amortize the price of a silage cutter against how many years of dove club dues it equals, it's hard to justify. My implement budget has already been depleted years into the future.

https://florencesc.craigslist.org/gr...949569711.html

This is what I had in mind. Silage chopper sounds messy.

Grow full field of corn. Pick off strips where you want clean ground and sell to deer hunters. Disc and till strips, then pick/shell corn directly on clean ground.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Default Using a chipper to scatter seed?

A straw blower is the ticket

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by buckshot1224; 08-27-2019 at 09:22 AM.
    **2008 & 2009 Bream World Champion**

Genesis 27:3

Quote Originally Posted by CurLee View Post
    https://florencesc.craigslist.org/gr...949569711.html

This is what I had in mind. Silage chopper sounds messy.

Grow full field of corn. Pick off strips where you want clean ground and sell to deer hunters. Disc and till strips, then pick/shell corn directly on clean ground.
    The problem with putting shelled corn on the ground is that it will sprout. Just look at all the corn fields that have already been cut. If they've gotten some rain then you see a lot of green and a dove isn't eating a corn plant. A silage cutter or wood chipper should crack or split most of the kernels which means they can lay on the ground till they are consumed or rot but they won't sprout after the first rain.
    Quote Originally Posted by Birddawg View Post
    I dont know how it was done. For all I know that weird bastard that determined it's gender licked it.