Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good Read on Clemson

Good Read

What Does Clemson Have? A pinch between the cheek...
    October 4, 1991; The Red & Black
    by Mike Floyd

It's just so easy to hurl insults at Clemson. For those of us who don't make a habit of wearing overalls, it really isn't much of a challenge.

Therefore, I'll refrain from voicing the predictable, exhausting, comments that Tiger fans have grown immune to over the years.

Under no circumstances shall I mention anything pertaining to tractors, dirt roads, dating immediate family members or an alma mater that ends each chorus with "E-I-E-I-O".

We at Georgia are above such trivial remarks, regardless of their validity.

Instead , I shall cut directly to an issue that is apparent to everyone except Clemson's redneck, fair-weather, pinch-between-yo'-cheek-and-gum fans who have brainwashed themselves into believing that...get this...their beloved Tigers actually have a winning tradition.

In recent years, it has become increasingly popular among Clemson fans to brag about their "national tradition". In fact, "a tradition of excellence" became Clemson's self-proclaimed
    motto shortly after the Tigers won the national championship in 1981.

Of course, I guess it's understandable that the Tiger faithful were able to make such a bold statement, considering that, prior to Clemson's victory in the 1982 Orange Bowl, the Tigers
    had won one of the whopping three bowl games they had appeared in since 1959.

We all have to admit that it's pretty hard not to be impressed by one bowl victory in a span of 22 seasons.

Speaking of Clemson's 1981 title, it must have been a bumper year for the crops, considering the amount of money it took the Tiger coaches and fans to buy the national title that has given them so much joy over the years.

Prior to when Southern Methodist received the NCAA death penalty for repeated violations, the probation handed down to Clemson for it's treatment of many of the players on the 1981 team was the most severe penalty in college football.

It wouldn't be surprising to hear that many of the players from that team are leading lives of luxury in exotic areas of the world, far from the rigors of manual labor, thanks to the ever-so-thoughtful gifts from various Clemson alumni.

But on second thought, I might be wrong about that. If you're from Clemson, your idea of luxury usually revolves around a pickup truck with an extra-long bed and a winch in front-and manual labor is probably your idea of a good time.

The latter is probably the best - no use going through life with an occupation you don't enjoy.

But before I get carried away, please allow me to get back to the point at hand.

If Clemson is going to insist upon focusing on it's wonderful winning tradition, then it must be based on results of games that have been played over an extended period of time. That, of course, it what tradition is all about.

Granted, Clemson was one of the nation's most successful teams during the 1980's, and it's eight Top 20 finishes in the past 10 years is a grand achievement. But before then, well...let's just say the Tigers have some catching up to do.

Clemson has built it's admirable national tradition, undoubtedly the envy of colleges throughout the land, with such sterling all-time records of 11-31-2 against Auburn, 3-11 against Alabama, 15-38-2 against Georgia Tech, 17-36-4 against Georgia and 3-9-1 against Florida.

The Tigers are also the proud owners of a losing record against every SEC team except Mississippi St., which they lead, 1-0. Even lowly Vanderbilt owns a 3-1 advantage over the Tigers. I wonder how many teams with "national tradition" can lay claim to that noteworthy accomplishment?

Or how about this one? Clemson is a combined 109-154 against teams from the Big Eight, Pac-10, Big ten, SEC and SWC. Nothing like a winning record against America's top conferences to secure your place among the nation's elite.

But to be fair, I should probably mention that Clemson has won its share of football games. For example, the Tigers are a combined 169-30-10 against perennial powers Furman, The Citadel, Virginia, Presbyterian and Wake Forest. I mention this only to make sure nobody accuses Clemson of padding its record against inferior competition.

OK, so you think I’m being too rough on the Tigers, huh? Well, maybe I am. Hey, there has to be some reason Clemson is so proud of it's illustrious past, right? Wrong.

Take a look at the top 20 bowl teams of all time. No Clemson. Gaze at the list of the 40 winningest programs in the history of college football. Still no Clemson. How about a list of the
    80 best teams in regards to winning percentage? Gee, there must be a mistake, because Clemson can't be found there, either.

So this brings us to the obvious question: Where did Clemson get the idea that it was so nationally prominent? Well, when you are a backward, know-nothing bumpkin, supporting a
    second-rate joke of a university located in a hole-in-the-road dump of a town, you settle for what you can get and convince yourself it's the most wonderful thing in the world.

And that's exactly what Clemson has done.

And with that, I just want Clemson to remember one thing before this weekend's contest.

The Tigers may beat Georgia on Saturday, but regardless of the outcome, we will still be here and you will still be at Clemson. If given a choice between winning and being in your shoes, we'll take losing every day of the week.

At least we won't make a tradition out of it.

A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!

Now, all we need is "This is Gamecock Football" and the clemptech a&m sanctions from '82 posted and it will officially be a dead horse thread.

Don't be so hard on Duckboy, he's trying, he just ain't got much to work with.
    Honey...I'll do it after the season is over.

Originally Posted by cudexter
    I would argue that JP has the highest "quality" to "trash talk" post ratio on this site.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Air Raid
    ... Wait till 3 years from now! ...

"After much deliberation, The Gamecock editorial board has decided to take a stance on the Carolina-Clemson issue. Our conclusion: Clemson sucks.

It's a sad testimony of the educational level of South Carolina when the second-largest research university in the state can't even pronounce its name. Clempson prides itself on originality, with its orange overalls and its policy allowing fans on the field after the game.

But the only thing distinctive about Clemson is that god-awful orange its fans insist on wearing. Countless high school, college and pro teams share the tiger mascot, and at least two schools - Auburn and LSU - use Tiger Rag as its fight song. If Tiger Rag is the "song that shakes the Southland," it's shaking at least two other Southern schools as well. You'll also hear a lot about "the most exciting 25 seconds in college football" that Brent Musberger said about Clemson rubbing a rock and stumbling down a hill. There's no drama - fans don't even know what's going on until the team is already on the field.

Then there's 1980 and Clemson's fraudulent national championship under the questionable recruiting practices of Danny Ford. Much like South Carolina's 1984 season, Clemson fans point to the holy year of 1981 as they went 12-0 and defeated Nebraska in the Orange Bowl to win the national championship. Ford was fired in 1989 to avoid an NCAA investigation. Ever since then, Clemson fans have really showed their loyalty to the program by staying away from Death Valley when times got tough. In 1993, Clemson averaged nearly 10,000 fewer fans than the previous season and rejoiced when coach Ken Hatfield was fired. The reason? Clemson lost three games and Hatfield's .770 winning percentage just wasn't good enough.

We could have done the politically correct editorial for rivalry week, touting the benefits of both schools, wishing a safe game and enjoyable time for fans - but all we really want to do is beat the crap out of Clemson. It's rivalry week. Talk as much trash as possible. We recommend the classic "cow college" jokes as well as the timely Duke slam. And don't worry - no matter how much we talk trash about Clemson, they always stoop lower, with drunk students in Death Valley two years ago passing around a giant inflatable penis while standing on a grassy hill."

What you lack in ingenuity, you also lack in orignality.

If you want to live in the past, view the records. If you want to live in the present, look at the records so far this year. If you want to live in the future, "Beleive in Steve".
    Honey...I'll do it after the season is over.

Originally Posted by cudexter
    I would argue that JP has the highest "quality" to "trash talk" post ratio on this site.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Air Raid
    ... Wait till 3 years from now! ...

Cutem didn't you go to CLEMSON?
    Doin the bull dance, feelin the flow

Yes Creston, I did.

I went for an education, not to support the athletic programs.

It was pure torture. I am still on antidepressants from all the orange and purple I was around everyday. Not to mention the obnoxious fans.

Oh come on, Cut 'Em, it wasn't the Hanoi Hilton.

You did kill some ducks and get some redneck pussy while you were up in tatertown! (rofl)

Thank you for bashing my ANTI-CLEMSON thread fellow Cock fans...yall were on top of that one faster than a ****** on a ripe wawtermelon patch, thanks though for pickin up the slack cute mall...

Shove a sheep in that bleeding hole, coot. Those boys were trying to keep you from making an even bigger fool of yourself.
    Feeling good\'s good enough...

Hell, Clemson, the experience was great. I lived on Hartwell and kept my boat in e the water, had some crazy times at the Esso and met a ton of friends for life.

But shit, I was raise a Gamecock. Thru thick and thin. I was not going to turn coat on the school cheered for from the stands every Saturday as a child.

I grew up in a family that never pulled for Clemson, no matter who they played. I chose to go to school there because I didnt want to pay double for out of state.

USC aint the easiest team to be proud of when it comes to football, but hell...its all I know.

Go Cocks!

jwilliams is offline 2th Doc's Fishing understudy

"But on second thought, I might be wrong about that. If you're from Clemson, your idea of luxury usually revolves around a pickup truck with an extra-long bed and a winch in front-and manual labor is probably your idea of a good time."

I hope we could be so fortunate. Then, perhaps, we wouldn't get caught up in the little Fraternity cuz crap like the little frat boys from USC. Must have your little khakis and duck boots and cool little faggity hats.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Does Elton John know you have his shotgun?

What isn't to like about a pickup truck and a winch? I guess you think your little georgia suburban home and isoosoo trooper are really hip. Keep your little gay, frat lovin self in Georgia.....
    ...I do love my truck....I will spit copenhagen on your little ceramic tile in your den if I take a notion....what do you little frat boys do besides snicker behind your little orvis catalogs at the blue collar man. Don't hate the player!

Make up your mind Artie. Do you hate the frat boys from Carolina or Georgia more? lol

Btw, you do realize we have fraternitys at Clemson, don't you?
    Feeling good\'s good enough...

Oooops...Guess I forgot...ya'll have some of same, too....I still like my truck and copenhagen....I still don't buy from orvis.

yeah, orvis and pastel shirts are gayball......... even on tooth. i was a member of the GDI fraternity.....

ill take my walls coveralls all day long over the patagucci wear.

im a handsome devil either way.
    wherever we go we bring monkey with us

Art's just pissed cuz he found some Qdog on top of his h.s. sweetheart sweating and bumping privates back when he was in school!

No problem w/ the Q DOGS CUZ! OOOHHH OOOHHH OOOHHH OOOHHH...(hands besides yo ears turned out)
    QDOGS RULE! Btw...My galfriend was in the SISTA sorority of the qdawgs...what's wrong w/ dat? Once you go.... you never....

Holmes did pick the wrong website to try to put down country boys who drive trucks, wear overalls, and like to git er done. Perhaps he should try this link:

www.gaycityboyswhodriveisuzusandwearorvis.com