Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Invasive species....

Default Invasive species....

Y'all be on the lookout and familiarize yourself with the identification of noxious invasives.....I have recently found tropical soda apple in the LC in multiple locations.
    From Bermuda grass, Johnson grass, Bahaigrass, Japanese climbing fern, tree of heaven, cogongrass, tropical soda apple (TSA).....the list is endless and will get noting but worse!
    Globalization will exasperate the issue over time.....Ironically, much like the human race today.
    Be aware and address it....
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

You should see the Ailanthus in Virginia and above...Forests of it everywhere. Another graduate student has figured out some new form of herbicide that is more effective at killing it than what is currently out there. I believe her plan is to have it on shelves in the next few years

Quote Originally Posted by Calibogue View Post
    Y'all be on the lookout and familiarize yourself with the identification of noxious invasives.....I have recently found tropical soda apple in the LC in multiple locations.
    From Bermuda grass, Johnson grass, Bahaigrass, Japanese climbing fern, tree of heaven, cogongrass, tropical soda apple (TSA).....the list is endless and will get noting but worse!
    Globalization will exasperate the issue over time.....Ironically, much like the human race today.
    Be aware and address it....
    I have a customer right down from the botanical gardens at riverbanks zoo with tsa everywhere
    Quote Originally Posted by BOG View Post
    Tip:
    Although it is natural for you and seems to be out of your hands, try to suppress your natural inclination towards dumbassedness and do some research of your own.I wish you luck.
    Tekton Game Calls
    http://tektongamecalls.com

Quote Originally Posted by beanhunter View Post
    I have a customer right down from the botanical gardens at riverbanks zoo with tsa everywhere
    Pics? Really or you just sayin?
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

if you got something for japanese climbing fern, I'm all ears....
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

If y'all haven't called Clemson Regulatory and let them know about the terrestrial invasives, please do. They actively manage (and attempt to eradicate where feasible) many invasive plant species.

https://www.clemson.edu/public/regul...ests_list.html

Quote Originally Posted by WNM View Post
    If y'all haven't called Clemson Regulatory and let them know about the terrestrial invasives, please do. They actively manage (and attempt to eradicate where feasible) many invasive plant species.

Currently, they are out of funds for this.....per a conversation with Steve Compton
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    if you got something for japanese climbing fern, I'm all ears....
    Me too!

Didn't they also introduce kudzu?

I mean, what could feasibly be done? Is there something here so new, and limited in it's spread, that we could eradicate it? I'm genuinely curious, not being a dick.

I don't think Clemson brought in kudzu if that's what you're asking. Some stuff is localized and can be sprayed and monitored. Some stuff is throughout the landscape and isn't feasible to be controlled or eradicated. Depending on federal money, it helps to know the range and distribution of certain invasives for control now or at a later date.
    Last edited by WNM; 07-18-2019 at 09:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SC quacker2 View Post
    Me too!
    it apparently likes fire....but so do I.

and privet. I dislike privet.

and beautyberry but I smile when I see it bc gene thinks deer like it more than anything...

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    it apparently likes fire....but so do I.
    And it takes the fire to the canopy in your trees...

I know a couple tough chicks in Montana that would wipe that stuff right out.

I don't think Clemson brought in kudzu if that's what you're asking. Some stuff is localized and can be sprayed and monitored. Some stuff is throughout the landscape and isn't feasible to be controlled or eradicated. Depending on federal money, it helps to know the range and distribution of certain invasives for control now or at a later date.

And I'm pretty sure I've got everything mentioned above in my yard. It's an ever-changing tapestry off color and leaf shapes.

With a dip in
    Member of the Tenth Legion Since 2004

exactly...

Quote Originally Posted by Gut_Pile View Post
    With a dip in
    No doubt!