Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Deer Ammo Recommendations

Default Deer Ammo Recommendations

I’ve been shooting Ballistic Silvertips for quite a while but I have been thinking about changing to a new round. The majority of the deer I’ve shot with them have been DRT but the ones that have ran off left little or no blood trail and no exit wound, although none of them have made it more than 50-60 yards. What are some suggestions for a new bullet to try? I’m shooting a 7mag and 7-08.

Accubond or TTSX
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

Or shoot em high shoulder and it really doesnt matter because they drop right there
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

Imo don’t fix what ain’t broke

I have had good luck with hornady 139gr SSt’s in my 7mm-08. Great groups and deadly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

It’s a deer, don’t over think it. Shot placement does wonders.
    More fuel = more boost!!

I shoot a 7mm-08 with Barnes and I am 100% with DRT
    Of course I have shot them all through the neck which helps

Shoot. Them. In. The. Neck.

They lay down in their tracks and you lose 0% of your shoulder and strap meat.

Ballistic tips are fine. Hornady SST is a ballistic tip produced by hornady instead of nosler with a less rad name.

Sierra game king is the answer to your question though. Federal makes a decent factory load using this bullet. I hand load it in a few Cals. Soft points will give you an exit wound.

The sierras are killers.

The Sierra game kings hollow point boat tails that I load in my 270 are more fragile than nosler ballistic tips. If you wanted to go cup and core, the Sierra pro hunter is untouchable.

I shoot a 150grn NBT in my 7mm08’s and a 140grn Barnes TTSX in my 7mmRM, been really impressed with the ELD-X I shoot in my .300wm. Big leaking holes on the side laying on the ground.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

That 7 mag is cooking so you need a tough bullet at close distance, such as a accubond, pro hunter, or even a Barnes. For the 7mm-08, any bullet will do. If you want to change from nosier ballistic tips, give the Sierra spbt a try. Sierra is 100 quality at a decent price.

If a pass through is what your after go with a bonded bullet, my rifles shoot the Barnes TTSX and Hornady GMX very well.

139 grain sst
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

140gr Silvertip in the -08. Leaves nasty holes with my rifle and very accurate. 0B14C25E-44DF-448F-84F4-A77C4BA8CF8C.jpg

Stay outta the shoulder and you will have no worries.

Hornady ELD-X. But literally any mass produced bullet will kill a wood goat DRT with good placement

Quote Originally Posted by ScLowCountry View Post
    The Sierra game kings hollow point boat tails that I load in my 270 are more fragile than nosler ballistic tips. If you wanted to go cup and core, the Sierra pro hunter is untouchable.
    Never had one (sierra hpbt) not pass thru, only shot about 80 or 90 deer with them so far though. They will mess up some meat though.

Default Deer Ammo Recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by Whackumstackum View Post
    Never had one (sierra hpbt) not pass thru, only shot about 80 or 90 deer with them so far though. They will mess up some meat though.
    Disagree. I agree with ScLo. They always came apart when I used them in a 308

I like the accubonds
    Last edited by britton40; 07-17-2019 at 07:37 AM.

Remington cor-loks. If you can't kill them with those, stop deer hunting and pick up crocheting.

Quote Originally Posted by britton40 View Post
    Disagree. I agree with ScLo. They always came apart when I used them in a 308

I like the accubonds
    Interesting, Never had one not create an exit, from 50-400yds. 6.5 creedmoor and 300WSM. Massive blood trails.
    Last edited by Whackumstackum; 07-17-2019 at 07:54 AM.