Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sunflower question ???

Default Sunflower question ???

We just plant brown top for our field but may be planting sunflowers next year .

Field near ours I noticed was looking great couple weeks ago, alternated sunflowers and milo (or something like this, taller than millet we plant ) .

Drove by there today while out with driving student and noticed the sunflowers are all dead looking all of a sudden

Is this common, these sunflowers were looking great a month ago. Looked like they were maybe planted before the other sunflower fields I see

The pretty phase doesn't last that long. They are doing what they do. Turning down and drying out.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    The pretty phase doesn't last that long. They are doing what they do. Turning down and drying out.

Thanks.

Yep. Mine are starting to mature. Doves will be in them soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Gregory View Post
    Yep. Mine are starting to mature. Gold Finches will be in them soon.
    Yep.

Whew! Feel a bit better now. This was the first crop for me and they went from sugar to shit to in no time
    Btw, you won't hear me apologize often, so you may want to put that in your sigfile. ~Mergie

Quote Originally Posted by Roddie View Post
    Whew! Feel a bit better now. This was the first crop for me and they went from sugar to shit to in no time

Any tips for us for next year. I think we are going to plant a patch of them, we have access to a no till drill for my friends tractor Other than that all we have is bush hog , disc harrow and another buddy with 6’ tiller for his tractor if we need it

If three are deer then plant way more sunflowers than you think.
    Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.

Quote Originally Posted by tprice View Post
    Any tips for us for next year. I think we are going to plant a patch of them, we have access to a no till drill for my friends tractor Other than that all we have is bush hog , disc harrow and another buddy with 6’ tiller for his tractor if we need it
    I just planted some for the first time in Anderson this year (which is where I think you are also located) and mine are doing great for it to be my first time, but I learned a few tips for next year by trial and error. One is to do a proper burn down of the field before starting. I didn't gain access to the land until April of this year so we didn't have time to do it. Second is going to be planting with the Clearfield variety of seeds. My field is pretty clear considering we used plain seeds, pre emergent and post emergent herbicides, but I still had to take a hand tiller between the rows which was not a fun experience. And lastly, go ahead and budget now for a proper electric fence. We thought we'd have a grace period of a year or so before the deer took a liking to the sunflower plants. Our grace period was 2 weeks. We started with one strand, then had to come back with another on top. Next year we'll plan on having 3 strands from 1 to 6 foot tall with a fourth strand on separate posts in front of it from day 1 after planting.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Another thing we are going to do next year is plant some soybeans and iron clay peas on another end of the property a couple of weeks before planting the sunflowers to hopefully divert the feeding away from the flowers.

Quote Originally Posted by scoutlover View Post
    I just planted some for the first time in Anderson this year (which is where I think you are also located) and mine are doing great for it to be my first time, but I learned a few tips for next year by trial and error. One is to do a proper burn down of the field before starting. I didn't gain access to the land until April of this year so we didn't have time to do it. Second is going to be planting with the Clearfield variety of seeds. My field is pretty clear considering we used plain seeds, pre emergent and post emergent herbicides, but I still had to take a hand tiller between the rows which was not a fun experience. And lastly, go ahead and budget now for a proper electric fence. We thought we'd have a grace period of a year or so before the deer took a liking to the sunflower plants. Our grace period was 2 weeks. We started with one strand, then had to come back with another on top. Next year we'll plan on having 3 strands from 1 to 6 foot tall with a fourth strand on separate posts in front of it from day 1 after planting.

Sounds like we will stick with millet, too much work for 1 day hunt

Thanks though

If you plan on only shooting once, stick with millet for sure.
    Member of the Tenth Legion Since 2004

Why would you plan for just one hunt?

Snapped this off the other day to see how far along the seeds were.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

if i was just hunting one day I'd stick with wheat and tennis shoes on a tuesday morning. wtf?@!?>!?>
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

We shoot our sunflower field all three seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by SCHUNTINFANATIC View Post
    Snapped this off the other day to see how far along the seeds were.

Nice!

Quote Originally Posted by Quack07 View Post
    Why would you plan for just one hunt?
    Dove field turns into big food plot for deer. Plow it up week after and plant oats/clover for deer

Doves are fun but nothing I/we want to shoot more than 1 maybe 2 times a year
    Last edited by tprice; 07-17-2019 at 06:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tprice View Post

Doves are fun but nothing I/we want to shoot more than 1 maybe 2 times a year
    It’s ok to be wrong I guess.

"This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

I would hunt the whole month of September at least. One hunt isnt worth the time spent planting one
    Last edited by Rem11-87; 07-17-2019 at 06:42 PM.